ser1218

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2004
Status
I have question regarding the amount of lab experience that is typically necessary when applying for md/phd programs. If I apply this summer as a rising senior, I would have had a summer and a semester of research experience working in a molecular diagnostics research lab. However, i took time away from school while working in the lab so I was working there full time. I am also going to be doing two semesters of independent study during my senior year. Would it be best for me to possibly wait a year before applying to md/phd programs? Would admissions comittees consider that I am going to be doing significant research during my senior year? I often hear that about 2 years of research experience is the norm. Should you have 2 years of research experience when you apply or by the time you matriculate? By the time I graduate, I will have had somewhere betwee 1.5 to 2 years of research experience. I think I otherwise have the stats necessary to apply: MCAT: 14 PS, 11 BS, 10 VR; GPA: 3.7 in biomedical engineering. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Neuronix

Total nerd
Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2002
the beach
Status
Attending Physician
You'll be alright. Research done while you're applying counts. I had about the same amount of research experience when I came in. You could probably take a year off, but I'm not sure that it would significantly improve what schools you could get into, unless you're shooting for a top-5 or something.

dave613

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2004
New York
Status
You're fine. I know an individual from my school who had as much research experience as you have now, and he got into Eric's MD/PhD program-UPENN.

Apply!

b&ierstiefel

10+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2004
In a van down by the river.
Status
Non-Student
ser1218 said:
I have question regarding the amount of lab experience that is typically necessary when applying for md/phd programs. If I apply this summer as a rising senior, I would have had a summer and a semester of research experience working in a molecular diagnostics research lab. However, i took time away from school while working in the lab so I was working there full time. I am also going to be doing two semesters of independent study during my senior year. Would it be best for me to possibly wait a year before applying to md/phd programs? Would admissions comittees consider that I am going to be doing significant research during my senior year? I often hear that about 2 years of research experience is the norm. Should you have 2 years of research experience when you apply or by the time you matriculate? By the time I graduate, I will have had somewhere betwee 1.5 to 2 years of research experience. I think I otherwise have the stats necessary to apply: MCAT: 14 PS, 11 BS, 10 VR; GPA: 3.7 in biomedical engineering. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks.
Based on talking to applicants that interview here over the last several years it seems that quite a few folks start research in the junior year of college so they have 1 year of research under their belt when they're applying. But this was part-time research (i.e., they're juggling lab stuff with classes). Your situation is a bit different. From reading your post, I think you shouuld be fine. If MD/PhD is what you wanna do...if MD/PhD is your calling...just apply and go for it! Best of luck.