Amount of surgery in Podiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ConsciousCalc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have shadowed 3 Podiatrists so far and have gotten relatively the same answers to this question. How much surgery does a Podiatrist generally do? If you could give a percentage what would it be?

The reason I ask is because that is the most appealing thing about Podiatry in my opinion. If getting a fellowship in FA surg I will do so after residency just so that I could perform more surgery cases.

Sidenote: I understand that it all varies on location/private vs hospital/and other factors but Im asking for a real life generalization here. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Drawing from my shadowing experiences, most pods work in their clinic where they see patients during the week for follow-ups, routine care, and in-house procedures. This includes hospital rounds. As far as surgery, there's typically a day or two at the end of the week or weekend that pods schedule the bulk of their surgical procedures. I'm sure some pods do more surgery and some pods do way less, it just depends on what you set yourself up to do

Reactions: 1 user
Drawing from my shadowing experiences, most pods work in their clinic where they see patients during the week for follow-ups, routine care, and in-house procedures. This includes hospital rounds. As far as surgery, there's typically a day or two at the end of the week or weekend that pods schedule the bulk of their surgical procedures. I'm sure some pods do more surgery and some pods do way less, it just depends on what you set yourself up to do
+

Ok that makes sense! lol Simple enough. Thanks! :)