AMSA and Resident work hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LR6SO4

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
AMSA has released a statement in support of limiting resident work hours and this has been made into a bill going before congress. All of this is happening in my home state (MI) and I just wanted to see what the opinions of others were. It looks real similar to the NY laws, 80 hours, no more than a 24 hr shift, 12 in ER, ect. I think NY speaks for itself in that it didn't work. I am explicitly opposed to this and hope others are as well, tell me if you have any good ideas as to how to stop it! What is the AMA stance on this (AMSA tends to be so liberal it's sick--that's why I'm not a member!). Here's the link: <a href="http://www.amsa.org/hp/reswork.cfm" target="_blank">http://www.amsa.org/hp/reswork.cfm</a>
thanks for any input!

Members don't see this ad.

With all due respect, I am curious as to why you oppose this legislation. Is there any specific component of the bill that you disagree with? While there is some truth to the fact that similar legislation in New York is not having its intended effect, does that make the principle of the idea bad? Personally, I think it's about time congress addressed this very issue! Even as a conservative, I strongly support AMSA in this matter (though I do agree the organization tends to lean to the left). Just out of curiousity- have you ever spent 120+ hours in a hospital??

Let me repost this....

In my personal opinion, it does make sense that residency hours must be cut down a bit...this benefits both the resident and the patient (who can be looked after by an alert resident)...sure some people could probably handle the load etc, but on average residents do feel overworked and extremely exahausted (depending on their field of speciality of course..), and that is a BAD state of mind to be in when treating humans.... what about ny? every state has its fair share of problem but I don't think you can allude it to just one factor...also, initially, sacrifices must be made for a change that will benefit in the long run..As for cutting down into your learning, I am sorry but if you are really keen on learning more, watch some videos and read books after the 80 hours if its your choice, just don't force it on normal people who might need a break....Medicine requires sacrifices but that doesn't mean it cannot change to ease that burden a bit...

Members don't see this ad :)
I think what the previous poster meant was that the laws in NY are a huge joke and that it makes no sense to impliment the same type of law in another state. EVERYONE knows that many if not most NY hospitals routinely ignore the law and suffer NO consequences. I have a friend at a NY hospital and she routinely works 110-120 hrs per week. She says that since she doesn't clock in, it's her word against theirs that she even works that much. Also, she's not allowed to fill out her own time sheets, the administration does it. Basically she has been told "well, you know you don't REALLY have to work that many hours...you just do it because you're such a good doctor"!?!?!?! Bullsh%t!!!! She IS a good doctor, but the truth is, she puts in extra hours because she's knows no one else is there to do the work and if the work doesn't get done there will be hell to pay (not to mention the concerns about patient safety)! They purposely understaff the place because they know the residents will do all the scut. The place is like a slave labor camp and it stays that way because no one will do anything about it. :mad:

Take a look at the allopathic board for other responses, and my own thoughts.