1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

AMSA President is D.O. Student

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by drusso, Aug 12, 2006.

1. drusso

Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Membership Revoked
    Removed 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Excellent. Classmate of mine. Very, very nice guy. He will go great things during his term at AMSA.

4. Old_Mil

Old_Mil Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    The outgoing president of our state medical society is a DO, as is our incoming president. These sorts of things just underscore the reality that when you get away from the reality distortion field of medical school, there is no difference between MDs and DOs.

I think it's a great thing for DOs to get involved in mainline medical institutions, and highly recommend AMA membership. The physician community is a small one, and we will never have the sort of voice at the ballot box that we would need to protect our interests and those of our patients. Because of this, it's important that we join the largest most capable organization out there representing physicians - and sorry boys and girls, that isn't the AOA. We we need to be politically active and make PAC donations to get things done. Today, trial lawyers out-donate physicians $10 to every $1...which goes a long way towards explaining why medical professionals face the obstacles they do.

Since we basically are the same as MDs and have the same interests, there's no reason for us to segregate ourselves in medical ghettos as we did in the past.

Congratulations to AMSA's new president.

5. drusso

Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Of course AMSA is a very left-leaning organization politically---not that there's anyting wrong with that. I just wonder how, and to what extent, their platform reflects the views of the majority of medical students; and if there are differences between DO and MD students on the liberal/conservative spectrum.

When I lived on the West Coast, before medical school, AMSA was very active at some schools (UCSF, UCLA, and UW) and inactive at others. In medical school, the local chapter was a relatively small influence and constantly took grief from SOMA though I always saw each group's mission as very different. I don't know how active AMSA is at other D.O. schools.

Disclaimer: I used to be an AMSA member in medical school and support some of their initiatives and disagree with others. I do think that they are very effective at representing and lobbying for medical education specific issues certainly have deeper pockets and a broader reach than SOMA at least on a national level.

6. rahulazcom

rahulazcom Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I wasn't aware the new AMSA president was a DO but I'm not the least bit suprised. I do have friends that are heavily involved with AMSA and they have mentioned that DO students hold prominent positions in AMSA including some AZCOM students. I tend to agree with Old Mill in that once you step away from the pre-med mentality of M.D. vs. D.O., medical students particularly allopathic ones are very professional in their approach towards these issues and would prefer the individual they feel is the most qualified for the position regardless of his or her status. I too would like to congratulate the new AMSA president. I'm very proud of this person.

7. OSUdoc08

OSUdoc08 Membership Revoked
    Removed

Medical Student
    Is that supposed to be a surprise?

I have been the chapter president of AMSA at my school for 2 years, and they seem to treat MD's and DO's extremely equally......