AMSA Teaches "LGBT Acceptance: 101" to New York Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
kinetic said:
What would constitute "equality"? I'll be willing to bet it's numbers. Which is hilarious, because why is it "equal" and "fair" that x percent of a medical school class (or anything else) be comprised of women or men or whites or blacks or anything?

I wish you hadn't gone and made it easy for him to say something else. :(

Members don't see this ad.

kinetic said:
It has nothing to do with offending people. I merely ask that those who feel that there's nothing wrong with forcing people to fund groups they don't agree with be consistent. For some reason, it's not a big deal when other people are offended, but when the issue boomerangs back on those same people all of a sudden there are 50 reasons why they shouldn't have to reciprocate. That's pathetic.

If the student group was voted to receive funding by the students, do you still think it's legitimate for NYMC board of directors to shut down the group?

-Ice

P.S. Once again, just because it's a group that supports gays/transgenders doesn't mean it has to be politically motivated. Although I feel like that's what most conservatives are trying to make it out to be.

kinetic said:
What would constitute "equality"? I'll be willing to bet it's numbers. Which is hilarious, because why is it "equal" and "fair" that x percent of a medical school class (or anything else) be comprised of women or men or whites or blacks or anything?

What "numbers" are you referring to? Unemployment for african americans? Or statistics income for women? Or med school admissions statistics?

(I'm asking because I honestly don't know some of these statistics and it's unclear as to what you're referring. I remember seeing that african americans have a higher unemployment rate than age matched whites, and that median pay for women is significantly lower than their age matched male counterparts, but I cannot find the study. Wondering if anyone knows.)

-Ice

P.S. This thread should really be moved to the Everyone lounge. I doubt that people entering the allopathic forum really wish to be enmeshed within what has become a conservative vs. liberal debate...

Members don't see this ad :)
stinkycheese said:
I was using a generalized "you", speaking to the group of white males who may hold this opinion. Sorry that wasn't clear to you.

Women are still in a unique position because even though women are starting to outnumber males in terms of the next generation of physicians, it is still true that men make more money, hold more leadership positions, and have different societally-imposed responsibilities regarding balancing work and family. While I wish that women did not have struggles in medicine or issues unique to our sex, I believe that women still do, and are still considered the less powerful sex in medicine. If we were all equal, then no, women's groups wouldn't be necessary: but it's patently obvious that the sexes are not equal at all in the field of medicine.

OFf topic but. . . .
Societally imposed? are you sure about that? You don't think there is a biological reason why more women physicians tend to work part time.

dsblaha said:
OFf topic but. . . .
Societally imposed? are you sure about that? You don't think there is a biological reason why more women physicians tend to work part time.

I think there is a biological reason that women need a maternity leave. And of course, I think it is awesome that men get paternity leave, to take their half of the responsibility of caring for the newborn. After the physical birthing of the child is over, though, I don't think that biologically, women "need" to work part-time; I think that's just how society has separated the workload traditionally: women stay home, men make money. Nothing biological about it in my opinion, but I am interested in hearing yours. :)

For those interested in how club approval works at NYMC (short version):
The administration approves the club. When approved, the club can go to the Student Senate for funding.

This issue is about more than a name change, though I believe the name change is quite possibly part of the issue. The larger issue, it seems, was the Coming Out Day that the club wanted to host on campus. The school did not feel this was appropriate within the realm of the Catholic tradition. No one in the administration is against the educational aspects of having lectures and panels and discussions about GLBT issues and the medical relevance, such as diseases and taking a proper sexual history. And these discussions are happening on the campus, and many students are attending, which I bet is more than is happening on most campuses.