Amsa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

braluk

SDN Surgerynator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
AMSA- American Medical Student Association

I'm considering joining, is anyone here a member and is it worth the money (there are pre-med memberships, allo, etc. etc.). What perks?

Members don't see this ad.

as a pre-med I went to an AMSA conference that was hosted by Baylor and UT Houston. It was really neat. great speakers, very informative, also FUN! :) That's about all I know about it. They were somewhat political though. The first night of the conference they had a "rally" at city hall in Houston to fight for equal access to health care. but over all it seemed like a really neat organization.

Sorry I don't know more.

The first night of the conference they had a "rally" at city hall in Houston to fight for equal access to health care.

Sounds like a rockin' good time. :rolleyes: Was there at least a bar at this conference?

Members don't see this ad :)
actually yes... yes there was. :) They had a FREE open bar social the first night. Surprisingly there weren't many people there. :) There was an officer though to check IDs.

I'm a member of AMSA. It's a very cool organization and we also had an open bar at the Los Angeles conference. However, they were also a bit political too - tried to rally everyone to fight for nationalized healthcare.

I'm a member of AMSA. It's a very cool organization and we also had an open bar at the Los Angeles conference. However, they were also a bit political too - tried to rally everyone to fight for nationalized healthcare.
Ah....that's why I will never join. I don't support anything that will decrease my income and probably not really improve things.

i'm a member. what its best for is "the new physician" magazine that they put out not quite monthly. its 50 bucks for the subscription or 50 bucks for the amsa membership which includes a free subscription, take your pick :laugh: there are also benefits like w/ insurance, health care, barnes n noble, stuff like that.

i'm a member. what its best for is "the new physician" magazine that they put out not quite monthly. its 50 bucks for the subscription or 50 bucks for the amsa membership which includes a free subscription, take your pick :laugh: there are also benefits like w/ insurance, health care, barnes n noble, stuff like that.
That magazine is horrible. It's the biggest joke. Every issue is just about nationalized healthcare, drug companies' incentives for doctors, etc. It's very liberal, and I regret sending them the money I did my freshman year. I will not be signing up again when I start med school.

Just join the American Medical Association. You get a subscription to JAMA. Seriously, AMSA is horrendous.

I was thinking that the perks of AMSA would be helpful...sorta like those of studentadvantage. Aside from AMA's perk of JAMA, what other amenities are there? Anyone use any of AMSA's insurance plans/rates, etc. etc.?