Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

AMSA

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Doctora Foxy, Apr 7, 2002.

1. Doctora Foxy

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Are you premeds members of AMSA, or is it only for med students? Any info would be appreciated. I would like to join :D

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. nerfornothin

nerfornothin Member
    7+ Year Member

There are tons of pre-med chapters. If you're really into it you could even start one. Here's the <a href="http://www.amsa.org/premed/" target="_blank">link.</a> The chapter at my undergrad was pretty active. Lots of speakers, community service opportunities and bake sales :D .

4. leorl

Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    AMSA is quite often an undergraduate chapter, for premeds. My name is on the list, but whether I'm actually a "member" - not really, I don't count it as one of my activities.

5. nebula7

nebula7 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I joined as a pre-med, although my ugrad school didn't have a chapter. Now I'm trying to decide if I will renew my membership this yr. I start med school in august and I'm not really sure if I need to join as pre-med or med. I do like the New Physician magazine that you get with membership, and there are interesting listserves you can join too.

6. megkudos

megkudos Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

You can join National AMSA as an undergrad and you get discounts on a lot of things with your meembership fee. You can continue your meembership through med shcool. It's good cuz even things like plane tickets you can get a good discount on (good for residency interviews!). I think you can get a discount if you join for 4 years at a time. unfortunately I'm not sure exactly how to go about joining. My firend is in it and she keeps telling me I should do it cuz she even got her palm pilot at a discount (she's a senior like us) If I remember to ask her I will, for now I bet you could figure out how to do it on the web.

PS- my undergrad has a "chapter" as well but it's different. You want national AMSA that's what med students are in and gets you all the discounts and "physician magazine".

7. Doctora Foxy

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    It's funny that you guys mentioned the New Physician magazine, because that's why I wanted to join! I read it at my student host's house and I liked it. SOmeone at my school started a chaptr a few years ago, but I had always planned on joining as a med student, since the premed opportunities are minimal (here at least). Since I'm graduating in a month, I'll just join. I thik there is a yearly membership fee--thanks for the website! :D

8. darkmatter

darkmatter Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Cool! All we ever had were local groups.