Sep 19, 2011
Status
I think it might be pertinent to include a section on the importance of aerobic exercise during MCAT studying.

Of course anything I say about my own experience is anecdotal I will say in general terms there's been quite a lot of studies documenting that aerobic exercise increases serum concentrations of brain derived neurotrophic factor BDNF as well as neurogenesis in the hippocampus of the brain (the region of the brain responsible for learning)

BDNF itself has been shown to grow new synapses in the brain and is correlated with the ability to learn new material and build memories. Additionally it supports and strengthens existing neuronal connectivity.

Apart from the other health benefits of exercise I believe that a person should undertake a vigorous aerobic exercise program roughly 2-3 months before they begin their MCAT study schedule and continue it throughout.

Of course it would be difficult to make a study to examine if it could lead to increased points I think the theory is sound that it would assist in the studying process.

SH3

Oct 4, 2011
Nashville, TN
Status
Medical Student
I think it might be pertinent to include a section on the importance of aerobic exercise during MCAT studying.

Of course anything I say about my own experience is anecdotal I will say in general terms there's been quite a lot of studies documenting that aerobic exercise increases serum concentrations of brain derived neurotrophic factor BDNF as well as neurogenesis in the hippocampus of the brain (the region of the brain responsible for learning)

BDNF itself has been shown to grow new synapses in the brain and is correlated with the ability to learn new material and build memories. Additionally it supports and strengthens existing neuronal connectivity.

Apart from the other health benefits of exercise I believe that a person should undertake a vigorous aerobic exercise program roughly 2-3 months before they begin their MCAT study schedule and continue it throughout.

Of course it would be difficult to make a study to examine if it could lead to increased points I think the theory is sound that it would assist in the studying process.

Overall, exercise has a number of profound effects on the body. One should always be engaging in physical activity whether or not he or she is studying.

Myro

Removed
Apr 28, 2012
Status
You cannot be serious....An amendment to an Mcat study schedule?

News Flash buddy...Working out should be a part of your life whether you're taking the mcat or not.