1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

An Appeal to Palm from the Medical Community

Discussion in 'Tech: Medical Apps, iOS, Android, medical devices' started by Blue Dog, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Blue Dog

Blue Dog Fides et ratio.
    Physician Gold Donor SDN Advisor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    From PalmAddicts, by Jeffrey D. Jarin, M.D.:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Bertelman

Bertelman Maverick!
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Aside from initial excitement followed by bitter disappointment, I haven't been too excited about a Palm product in nearly ten years. I've owned enough of them. My last purchase was the LifeDrive, which can be a great machine, but mine crapped out with moderate, very responsible usage in a little over two years. Their OS is woefully behind the times. They put out duds at a 1:1 ratio to true successes. They have turned their backs to the handheld market, and are now focused on smartphones.

Guess what? Apple will kick their butts in that department.

I hope Palm shrivels up and dies a brief death soon, and the medical community begins to embrace the iPhone so more apps can be developed. We need innovation, and that hasn't been present at Palm since I started med school.

4. TheRealMD

TheRealMD "The Mac Guy"
    5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Netters + iPhone 3G = Bought on launch day.

5. 187502

Medical Student
    I don't think Palm is capable of recovering at this point. It's just a question of who will take the top spot, Windows Mobile or iPhone? Windows mobile has a significant installed base and a large library of med. apps, but a reasonable number of people in the medical community will just about fellate themselves over any Apple product.

I predict by the turn of the decade the winner will be decided and Palm will be well and truly dead.

#4 187502, Jun 16, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2008
  6. crazy_cavalier

crazy_cavalier T3-Weighted
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    To Palm: Goodbye and good riddance!

It's pathetic that I am actually considering an iPod Touch as my PDA device for the medical wards... how truly sad and dismal the PDA market is if I have to resort to that.

7. DrJeff66

Attending Physician
    I have not switched over to iPhone due to the software I run on my Treo. I am now on my third generation of Treo (600 -> 650 -> 755p) and while they are overall nice, they are also buggy with frequent crashes, and can be slow at times (depending on the program).

The main reason I use a smartphone is e-prescribing. Connects thru the phone line, sends the RX directly to the pharmacy. Connection drops alot and has to reconnect to send each RX = slow. I would love to connect via WiFi which we have in the office but.....no WiFi in Treos.

DrFirst now offers RxCopia for the iPhone! (https://radium.drfirst.com/physian.jsp)

But what about all the small programs I use for the Palm, ones that likely will not be ported over to iPhone?

http://blogs.styletap.com/styletap/index.html

Now that there is AT&T service in our area (rural NorCal).....

Dude, You're getting an iPhone!!

8. PharmaTope

5+ Year Member

epocrates is a very bad database especially for drugs and dosing. very incomplete and frequently WRONG all together. micromedex is much better.

lexicomp is the best.