An epiphany has led me here and now I'm trying to learn :)

Mar 16, 2010
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
So a brief background on me... and first post btw :)

I am a naive and focused individual who comes to these forums with no idea what will come.

I have recently graduated from UCF and was accepted to many law schools around the country when I decided it was a good time to reflect on my past decisions and likely future. This reflection eventually brought me to where I am today (and that is a HUGE summary. Lets say it involved moving cross country with one suitcase, working as a personal trainer, and playing a lotta open mics :laugh: ).

Now I'm still working as a Personal Trainer and it has opened a new view of what my future can possibly be. I have found I love working with people and making them better at what they do, which is why I'm now considering the field of Physical Therapy as well as nursing.

I luckily have an amazing family and they are helping me wherever they can but I still feel as if I'm moving into a field blindly and information is not only overwhelming, but inconsistent at times.

Is there anyone out there who has worked as a nurse and as a Physical Therapist and who is willing to discuss the fields? If not, is there anyone who could tell me the major perks of working in either field? I will be volunteering at a hospital soon (however after reading the forums it seems like a pretty bad idea lol) and I hope I can glean some information from my time on the floor. I am doing my best to find what career suits me and any information that anybody would like to share would be a HUGE help.

Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing what this forum has in store

Oh and if anyone needs any Personal Training tips, don't hesitate to ask ;)

Marcus

GoodmanBrown

is walking down the path.
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2009
In the forest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
So a brief background on me... and first post btw :)

I am a naive and focused individual who comes to these forums with no idea what will come.

I have recently graduated from UCF and was accepted to many law schools around the country when I decided it was a good time to reflect on my past decisions and likely future. This reflection eventually brought me to where I am today (and that is a HUGE summary. Lets say it involved moving cross country with one suitcase, working as a personal trainer, and playing a lotta open mics :laugh: ).

Now I'm still working as a Personal Trainer and it has opened a new view of what my future can possibly be. I have found I love working with people and making them better at what they do, which is why I'm now considering the field of Physical Therapy as well as nursing.

I luckily have an amazing family and they are helping me wherever they can but I still feel as if I'm moving into a field blindly and information is not only overwhelming, but inconsistent at times.

Is there anyone out there who has worked as a nurse and as a Physical Therapist and who is willing to discuss the fields? If not, is there anyone who could tell me the major perks of working in either field? I will be volunteering at a hospital soon (however after reading the forums it seems like a pretty bad idea lol) and I hope I can glean some information from my time on the floor. I am doing my best to find what career suits me and any information that anybody would like to share would be a HUGE help.

Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing what this forum has in store

Oh and if anyone needs any Personal Training tips, don't hesitate to ask ;)

Marcus
I'm not sure what you read to feel that volunteering at a hospital is a bad idea. Overall, I think it's a good idea that will help you get better acquainted with the jobs available.

I'm neither a nurse, nor a physical therapist, so take my thoughts with a grain of salt.

Both spend lots of time with patients and are very hands on. Nurses deal with medications, washing/hygiene, general health. Physical therapists work in a very specific function, and only with each patient for a limited time per day. They work exclusively on movement, walking, stability, etc.

Physical therapists work more 9-5 as all the activity time is during the day. Nurses work all hours of the day including holidays, weekends, etc. That could be good or bad as it gives more time to work, but you have to work odd hours occasionally.

Those are just a few small differences. Try to do some shadowing of both to see if one or the other has a better "feel" to you. Good luck!