An Excuse to Travel

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uhsikahtap

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, so I have a year off from med school and I'm not sure what I want to do with it. I definitely want to go abroad, but I was thinking I might be able to do something that'll look good in residency interviews too. A few things that came to mind are:

MPH abroad (like LSHTM or Oxford's program provided I'm accepted)
Research at a European medical school/center
Peace Corps

I'm not too sure about the Peace Corps though because I was hoping to be in a bigger city, and European one at that. I'm short on ideas but I know that there are several programs that might serve the purpose. The purpose being indulging my desire to travel/live abroad for a year while also not totally wasting my time.

Anyone have any ideas or experiences with this? Other options are greatly appreciated. I was approaching my options from the perspective of their utility in residency applications.

Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

Why are you taking a year off?

Well I was planning on doing a dual degree program but I decided against it so now I have a year off which In which I have to inform the administrators of my school what I am doing so that I can remain enrolled, I was hoping to make the best of it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I was planning on doing a dual degree program but I decided against it so now I have a year off which In which I have to inform the administrators of my school what I am doing so that I can remain enrolled, I was hoping to make the best of it.
Can you not just go back to school instead of keeping the year off?

Research. Plenty of cool places you can go for that and it'll look great for residency apps. The MPH also isn't a bad option.

Thanks for the responses! So how would this research work? Probably nothing paid, but I should just contact people at medical schools that interest me and see if they can fit me in?

This will be in Europe, is there any formal way of approaching this or is that pretty much it? I've talked to several people about it and they've found the MPH to be useful only in a very narrow set of career choices, plus it usually costs quite a bit (though if it was worth it I wouldn't mind)

Thanks for the responses! So how would this research work? Probably nothing paid, but I should just contact people at medical schools that interest me and see if they can fit me in?

This will be in Europe, is there any formal way of approaching this or is that pretty much it? I've talked to several people about it and they've found the MPH to be useful only in a verus narrow set of career choices, plus it usually costs quite a bit (though if it was worth it I wouldn't mind)
Go to Amsterdam's red light district and compare how many hookers give you freebies verus the STD'S contracted. Write a paper about your experiences! And try to find a cure for aids if you contract them.

Reactions: 1 users
Are your loans subsidized, or will you incur extra interest costs because of the additional year? Maybe you should get a job to start paying it off.
Do you really want to go to Europe, or are you open to other places, like AUS?
Peace Corps is 27 months in low-income countries...

Reactions: 1 user
Are your loans subsidized, or will you incur extra interest costs because of the additional year? Maybe you should get a job to start paying it off.
Do you really want to go to Europe, or are you open to other places, like AUS?
Peace Corps is 27 months in low-income countries...

I won't have any trouble with the insurance. I definitely want to go to Europe, and may even opt for a simple non-medical job there, but I'm between several options and open to others. I'm thinking it might be good to do some research abroad, though I might not get a publication out of it. If it's at a reputable university research should carry similar weight regardless of where it's done, no? The other option that came to mind is some sort of 1 year master's degree, though I can't think of anything that'll really be useful to me.

Go to Europe and work in hostels for a year, problem solved. Do some boring ass chart review research via the internet while you're over there so you can claim you did research all year.

Reactions: 2 users
Go to Europe and work in hostels for a year, problem solved. Do some boring ass chart review research via the internet while you're over there so you can claim you did research all year.
That's not a bad idea actually, never would've occurred to me!

Search for "research electives" in British/European universities. There should be plenty positions available.

I don't have any personal knowledge or experience, but I'm wondering is something with the World Health Organization might fit your needs. I believe they're based in Geneva, so there might be some kind policy or research opportunity available there.

I don't have any personal knowledge or experience, but I'm wondering is something with the World Health Organization might fit your needs. I believe they're based in Geneva, so there might be some kind policy or research opportunity available there.
That's actually an excellent idea, it never occurred to me. Thanks!