an eye for business, an eye for medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skylark

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished freshman year so im still young and exploring potential career paths. Though I have pretty much committed to being a premed (bio major), I am taking a business class right now at a community college and have been just so intrigued by it. My college does not offer business major/minors so I cant officially do both.

The problem is that i really want to combine these two fields together since they seem very interesting, but i am not sure how to. I was thinking maybe rushing AKPsi (business frat) cus I heard it was pretty strong at my school. But other than that I dont know what else to do. I guess I can take business classes at school as well, but they are fairly new and unestablished since our B-school just opened up, so i dont know how good/hard/undergrad-friendly they are.

Ultimately I am hoping to go into med school and use my interest in business as something to define myself as an applicant (someone strong in leadership/management and the biological sciences). but at a school where business resources are not up to par as the sciences, how can i do that? is this a good combo? any comments appreciated! thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

some schools have combined MD/MBA degrees, u should look into that, i cant think of any specific ones that have it but i know its out there. some medical schools dont even consider community college credits so mayb try to take ur business stuff at a state college or something like that

word, this is going to be a serious post from me, hahaha.

i have an eye for both as well. Im an econ major. Im going to finish up my MCATs this year and probably do an ibanking internship next summer. If i like it, ill get a fulltime job for a year and then go to med school. THats the plan. i think MD/MBA is a superb idea, but having a private practice is a lot like having your own business. Plus, you could use the your salary from being an MD and invest in opening up side joints. Business is one of those fields that can be so broad and truly enriching. I would love to incorporate both into my life.

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone else?

are you from ucsd? your description sounds like ucsd to me. (rady business school just opened up and some business courses are offered to undergraduate students.)

I just finished freshman year so im still young and exploring potential career paths. Though I have pretty much committed to being a premed (bio major), I am taking a business class right now at a community college and have been just so intrigued by it. My college does not offer business major/minors so I cant officially do both.

The problem is that i really want to combine these two fields together since they seem very interesting, but i am not sure how to. I was thinking maybe rushing AKPsi (business frat) cus I heard it was pretty strong at my school. But other than that I dont know what else to do. I guess I can take business classes at school as well, but they are fairly new and unestablished since our B-school just opened up, so i dont know how good/hard/undergrad-friendly they are.

Ultimately I am hoping to go into med school and use my interest in business as something to define myself as an applicant (someone strong in leadership/management and the biological sciences). but at a school where business resources are not up to par as the sciences, how can i do that? is this a good combo? any comments appreciated! thanks!

Go see "Sicko" by Michael Moore. Get the MD degree and the MBA and then become CEO of a HMO and become a billionaire and deny health care to poor people and drop them off on the streets in skid row for the cost of cab fare.

look hard at the MD/MBA programs - you'll probably find one that suits your interests perfectly.
and being interested in business will be very helpful to you in the future if you open up a practice, etc. You'll have a huge leg up on the rest of us.

Go see "Sicko" by Michael Moore. Get the MD degree and the MBA and then become CEO of a HMO and become a billionaire and deny health care to poor people and drop them off on the streets in skid row for the cost of cab fare.

wow some people are easily brainwashed :D

Im an econ premed as well. If you cant get a degree in it, dont waste your time. And DO NOT join the biz frat, its full of money hungry d bags. They are barely smart enough to spell biznass. And for all of you who dont already know, an MBA is a very expensive right of passage in the business world, and will do very little for in medicine (unless you dislike patients). Its also the easiest degree possible, and will teach you nothing a couple books couldnt.

You are an unsophisticated and naive *****.

please don't turn this into a "why sicko sucks" thread....

I'm actually interested in this whole md/mba thing too. I think it's worth pursuing if you have an interest in business. just remember that you don't need to major in an econ related field to get a md/mba, you just need to take the gmat (eventually).

I was in your same situation a while ago. Started out Bio, always had a love for medicine and business so decided to major in Econ but finish up pre-med and go to med school. Problem was .... I started too late and wasn't going to be able to finish everything up in time ( I was also too close on units to risk it), so I stuck with Bio. I'm really interested in MD/MBA and DO/MBA programs, more to persue business side projects in life.

The problem is that i really want to combine these two fields together since medicine seems very interesting and I also want to one day wipe my ass with Benjamin Franklin's face.

fixed.

would taking some classes in the business school be a good idea even if i cant officially get a degree since it is not offered? Even if I dont pursue an MBA or MBA/MD (because I am sure admission into that joint program is probably competitive), how else can i portray the fact that I do enjoy business. I dont know if schools will pay attention to bus classes i take. I guess I want to show that i am an active student in that I enjoy management and the business world instead of a typical, passive bio premed.

and to the previous poster, if you were trying to be funny and changing up what i said in my original post, please dont do that again.

dont be frustrated by stupid posts like that, some people come to this board out of boredom, it seems :laugh:

my advice is, rather than taking business classes or even gettting a degree in it, go for serious activities related to the field. Maybe work for a business firm as an intern or co-op, if that's possible? health-related business jobs would be even better

Ultimately I am hoping to go into med school and use my interest in business as something to define myself as an applicant (someone strong in leadership/management and the biological sciences).
Studying basic courses in a business program consist largely of economics and accounting. A few of these is not going to give adcoms the idea that you're a natural leader. If you want to show an aptitude for leadership, demonstrate it through leading.

If you want to study business because you enjoy it, go for it. But I wouldn't do so with the understanding that it's going to necessarily kick open doors. For every candidate that has a BA in business because of the desire to lead, there are four because of the desire to make money. Adcoms know this.

Absolutely, if business is what you're interested in, take some community college courses. It doesn't matter if medical schools don't recognize the credit as these courses won't count toward a degree or satisfy a pre-req. At the very least, it helps flesh out your aspirations to the adcoms and may demonstrate leadership and maturity, depending on how much you become involved. There are plenty of ways to integrate your two interests; hospitals will need qualified managers, directors, and administrators who understand both medicine and how it fits into a broader business model.

You can take it further and apply for MD/MBA dual degrees, but I'm not sure how that goes. I believe most MD/MBA programs request that you apply separately to business school (I know that Baylor and Dartmouth do), which means that you'll be taking the GMAT on top of the MCAT.

Send a PM to shredder to see how well he's been able to pursue an interest in business while in medical school. :laugh:

I would suggest you only get a dual degree if you have a clearly defined target career path that requires such. Being vaguely interested in business doesn't suffice. Otherwise its just a lot of years for another piece of paper you may never use.

Defining yourself as an applicant is certainly important, but generally you have to do this outside of academics -- through ECs, employment, interesting background, years abroad, etc. This is where you get your leadership/management experiences not from classes. Taking a few business courses and having an expressed interest is not going to turn the tides for anyone.