Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

an interesting piece to read in a Saturday afternoon

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by YMSROCK, Apr 28, 2007.

1. YMSROCK

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Auron

Auron Cruisin' the Cosmos

Pre-Dental
    Yeah I saw that, preety funny but really embarassing for MIT. This takes the cake:

"Yesterday she admitted that she had fabricated her own educational credentials, and resigned after nearly three decades at M.I.T. Officials of the institute said she did not have even an undergraduate degree

4. Jack Daniel

Jack Daniel In Memory of Riley Jane
    Moderator Emeritus

Keep in mind she started at MIT in an admin assistant type job where a degree wasn't considered critical. This woman was advanced to the top position because of her abilities. Personally, I think it shows how UN-NEEDED a college degree is in many jobs, yet our culture continues to require college degrees in many jobs.

Obviously she had to go because she misrepresented her background (ie lied!), but it's sad to see a career ended over something relatively insignificant that happened so many years ago.

5. DreamyKid

I totally agree, and from what it seems, she's been doing a great job anyway. Besides the part about misrepresenting information, I think the previous poster is totally right, it shows how hyped up this society gets about a college degree. :cool:

6. YMSROCK

very well said, and it's a problem worldwide.
    If she had not lied, she probably would never have a chance to be promoted to that position. The system has wronged her twice.:(

7. Dr.Inviz

Dr.Inviz Banned
    Banned

Pre-Medical
    She must have pissed someone off ... maybe a disappointed gunner applicant :laugh:

8. Tired

Tired Fading away

Nobody wronged her, she scammed the system and ended up getting caught, simple as that. Any career founded on a lie will eventually get found out, and no matter how "insignificant" the lie may seem in hindsight, the fact is that a position like the one she held requires the highest level of integrity. Her failure in integrity made her continuation in that position impossible.