An observation about NPs in Ohio

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Proudfather94

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm seeing a lot of comments about NPs taking over in health care and wanted to share my experiences. I work for a major hospital and there are quite a few nurses in school getting their NP degree. While this is the case, I personally know a nurse who has had her NP degree for a few years but is staying in bedside. I know other recent graduates that are having a hard time finding a good job.

A big reason that this is happening is because NP jobs are competitive and many start out at under 100k a year. The nurses that I'm talking about have said that they can make just as much money as being an NP by picking up incentives, overtime, or travel nursing. This is more desirable to them due to not having the liability of being an NP while still being able to make the money.

Some of the recent bsn graduates I know say they will not pursue an NP due to knowing people who cannot find a job. This leads me to believe that the market at least in Ohio is starting to stabilize and that the expansion of NPs is beginning to taper off.

It seems like NP jobs here do not want to pay the 150k these people are expecting and as a result some are refusing to use their degree and are staying in bedside. With how toxic bedside is in general I do not think the incentives, overtime, and travel nursing are going anywhere soon. This is my thoughts on it. It would be cool to hear others opinions on the matter.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I have been hearing that NPs are having a difficult time finding a job. The field has become saturated. The few that I know have gone into teaching.

I have been hearing that NPs are having a difficult time finding a job. The field has become saturated. The few that I know have gone into teaching.

Thats ok as soon at they start to feel the pressure of saturation. Theyll go to the govt and ask to do something else thats in the purview of doctors. Thus relieving the shortage.

Members don't see this ad :)
When you lower the barrier to do something, alot of people will do it. NP schools used to mean something, now its just a money grab. Most Nurses I know work a full time job, get their NP on line, and still have a social life. NPs have gutted their profession and one of the biggest collateral is the PAs who are feeling the effects with little fault of their own.

When you lower the barrier to do something, alot of people will do it. NP schools used to mean something, now its just a money grab. Most Nurses I know work a full time job, get their NP on line, and still have a social life. NPs have gutted their profession and one of the biggest collateral is the PAs who are feeling the effects with little fault of their own.
Honestly I feel like what's going to happen is that hospitals will hire NPs because they are cheaper than doctors but patients will suffer as a result. When this happens they'll do more studies proving they are not skilled enough to practice independently and when the news catches they will make stories about it . This will turn the public opinion against NPs and after public pressure and lawsuits the hospitals will quit hiring them. I think the monetary incentive is too great for hospitals to ignore trying this but it will backfire on the patients. The hospitals will blame the nurses saying that they're the ones with the license so if they were not able to practice independently then they should have refused to do so.

• Haha
I highly doubt it. Its all about money. The public is too stupid to know quality vs quantity. They rather it fast than good, just like McDonalds. People rather pay cheap, get it fast than spend more for quality.

Hospitals will replace MDs with NPs and there will be more NPs running a hospital than MDs. You can count on this.

• Wow