An Over-Represented Majority Misunderstood What ORM Meant...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fighterofthenightman

Reaction score
I understand why some SDN members consider identifying as a URM to be personally important and why they choose to include that identifier in their posts.

However, I believe the use of ORM as an identifier is an insensitive response to the use of URM and, as a result, unacceptable.

My negative view of the ORM identifier is based on the following reasons:
1. By definition of "over-represented majority," most SDN members are likely to be over-represented majorities. As a result, self-identifying as ORM does not typically add relevant details to a post.
2. Using broad generalizations, ORMs are typically assumed to have significant sociocultural (and socioeconomic) advantages over URMs. Again, self-identifying as ORM does not typically add relevant details to a post.

On the other hand, members make the active choice of self-identifying as ORM. And I read the use of ORM as a suggestion that ORMs are disadvantaged in the application process by nature of being an ORM. I find this line of thinking insensitive at best.

I am an ORM, but I've made a conscious choice not to use this identifier because I believe it insensitively invalidates the use of the URM identifier.
I strongly suggest that we cease the use of ORM on this forum entirely.

In responses, I would love to hear why my assumptions about the use of ORM are wrong or why the use of ORM can add value to a post.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I understand why some SDN members consider identifying as a URM to be personally important and why they choose to include that identifier in their posts.

However, I believe the use of ORM as an identifier is an insensitive response to the use of URM and, as a result, unacceptable.

1. By definition of "over-represented majority," most SDN members are likely to be over-represented majorities. As a result, self-identifying as ORM does not typically add relevant details to a post.
2. Using broad generalizations, ORMs are typically assumed to have significant sociocultural (and socioeconomic) advantages over URMs. Again, self-identifying as ORM does not typically add relevant details to a post.

On the other hand, members make the active choice of self-identifying as ORM. And I read the use of ORM as a suggestion that ORMs are disadvantaged in the application process by nature of being an ORM. I find this line of thinking insensitive at best.

I am an ORM, but I've made a conscious choice not to use this identifier because I believe it insensitively invalidates the use of the URM identifier.

In responses, I would love to hear why my assumptions about the use of ORM are wrong or why the use of ORM can add value to a post.

ORM stands for over-represented minority.

Reactions: 8 users
ORM/URM plays a significant statistical difference in both acceptances and reach/target school list. I think for as long as racial discrepencies exist in the data it is still important to post your ORM status to gather best info about your profile.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Find something worthwhile to care about.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 19 users
As a fellow non-minority, people really need to get over themselves. We as non minorities have like TWO disadvantages in life compared to URM applicants. Chill and accept your lifelong privilege at the cost of this one disadvantage. If you want to put energy into something, fix the inequalities URMs face so that these designations become irrelevant.

(Side note: I’m assuming OP isn’t a minority at all because they didn’t even know what ORM meant)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 users
Looks like I was wrong and didn't know what ORM meant...

Since finishing secondaries, I may have too much time on my hands.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Looks like I was wrong and didnt' know what ORM meant...
Pro-tip: if you’re going to take a stand against something, know what it means first. You lost lost credibility immediately. Or when you’re eventually in clinic the MDs will eat you alive while the other students watch.

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Status
Not open for further replies.