analytic geom and calc. vs calc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leoproductionz

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i was looking at the pre-reqs on UF's website, and it said they wanted analytic geometry and calculus. does anyone know if they'll just accept calculus or go you have to take AG & C?

Members don't see this ad.

You have to take Calc 1 and analytic geometry.

dang, now i have to take that class as well as just Calc

i was hoping i wouldn't have too, half the schools i looked at said Calc and the other said Analytic Geom & Calc....

for anyone who took AG&C, how difficult was it for you?

Members don't see this ad :)
leoproductionz said:

i was hoping i wouldn't have too, half the schools i looked at said Calc and the other said Analytic Geom & Calc....

Maybe the schools that they require only Calculus will taken Calculus with AG as it seems to be a harder class.

Smilescali said:
Maybe the schools that they require only Calculus will taken Calculus with AG as it seems to be a harder class.
ive already taken calc though, cause thats what my advisor told me to do (long story), so i have no choice now, but to take AG&C also

leoproductionz said:
ive already taken calc though, cause thats what my advisor told me to do (long story), so i have no choice now, but to take AG&C also

Yes that is regrettable. I wish all of the pharmacy schools would get together and have a single list of requirements! That would make life too easy for us though ;)

does anyone know if some of the material covered in AG&C will be coverd on the PCAT that i wont learn in calc?

leoproductionz said:

I thought there only was Calculus with Analytic Geometry? That's the only course that I've seen listed at the schools I've attended. They were all schools in Florida, so maybe that's just the state standard.

I thought the class was pretty easy, but I have nothing to compare it to. The AG part was just using calculus for trig problems.

Some schools offer what they call "Business Calc" or "Calc for the health care professional". Often these classes do not fill the Calc and Analytic Geo requirements of most pharmacy programs. My friend fell into this trap by taking Calc for the health care professional, no schools would accept this and she was required to take Calc and AG.

ButlerPharm.D. said:
Some schools offer what they call "Business Calc" or "Calc for the health care professional". Often these classes do not fill the Calc and Analytic Geo requirements of most pharmacy programs. My friend fell into this trap by taking Calc for the health care professional, no schools would accept this and she was required to take Calc and AG.

Oh, yeah. I forgot that those existed. You should steer clear of business calc.

This is in the UF website about Admission Requirements:

"Please note that where the “#” is indicated, the number is variable. At public institutions in Florida, the course
prefix and last three digits of a course number will match exactly among institutions even though the course title may
vary. "
"Mathematics
Analytical Geometry with Calculus I
MAC #311 (4 credits)
OR
Survey of Calculus
MAC #233 (3 credits) "

You can only choose between 2 classes if you are in florida.

i go to University of Miami so our courses are named and numbered differently. i would think the calculus course at UM is basically the same thing as their "survey of calc."

i still have to take AG&C anyway for other schools im looking at

usi said:
This is in the UF website about Admission Requirements:

"Please note that where the “#” is indicated, the number is variable. At public institutions in Florida, the course
prefix and last three digits of a course number will match exactly among institutions even though the course title may
vary. "
"Mathematics
Analytical Geometry with Calculus I
MAC #311 (4 credits)
OR
Survey of Calculus
MAC #233 (3 credits) "

You can only choose between 2 classes if you are in florida.

NICE! Some schools are very strict about which calculus class to take. Does it really matter though?

Smilescali said:
NICE! Some schools are very strict about which calculus class to take. Does it really matter though?

I think regardless of what is called, I would forget it all a week after the final
This is a straight A in Calculus I, II and III student talking! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I also took business cal thinking it would cover the requirement. Got a B. Then I took analytical geometry and cal 1 and that calss was SUPER EASY. Got an A. I actually thought PreCalculus was harder than AG and C 1. Go figure!