analytical chem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neuro1617

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone that has taken it-easy or hard? And compared to ochem, what did you think? I liked gen chem much better than ochem so I'm thinking about taking analytical for my chem minor in fall. Is it helpful at all for the MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

i found anal chem to be extremely dull and pointless, and thus harder than organic. however if you liked gen chem, you will probably enjoy it.

and i did not find it helpful for the MCAT more so than my previous chem classes.

I had to take it for my major. It wasn't helpful for the MCAT, first of all. Umm, in terms of being easy vs hard - its definitely not easy...at least I didn't think so. If you tend to be anal (not trying to put anyone down, just being truthful) about things, especially things like sig figs, then it may be easier for you. I'm just not that interested in how accurate my answer is (i.e. is my error perfect?). In my section of analytical chem there was quite a bit of statistics (not hard, I just didn't like it so studying for it made it more difficult), and math - less memorization.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not at all helpful for the MCAT in the least bit. I mean, Pchem at least reviewed and solidified gen chem concepts. In analytical chem you'll learn about statiscal analysis, theories and practices that pertain to the smallest minutiae in quantitative measurements, and also lots and lots of info on instruments, probes, etc. A history course would be more useful, at least it'll help with VR.

Not at all helpful for the MCAT in the least bit. I mean, Pchem at least reviewed and solidified gen chem concepts. In analytical chem you'll learn about statiscal analysis, theories and practices that pertain to the smallest minutiae in quantitative measurements, and also lots and lots of info on instruments, probes, etc. A history course would be more useful, at least it'll help with VR.

Wow that sounds...not good. Not even review of equilibrium, titrations, acid/base chem? Maybe I should consider biochem, although my gen chem 1&2 final exams were a 96 & 97, respectively...organic was 72 & something in the 60's although the second was curved. I had so much trouble with organic:( I thought analy was gen chem but deeper...but it's not then?

You willl probably do titrations involving acids and bases in analytical chemistry lab, but the focus is on either getting the numbers and analyzing them (the quantative part) or getting to know how the various instruments get you those numbers(the instrumental part).
Analytical chem is a very important part of chemistry, but it goes off on a tangent from gen-chem much more than building on it.

If gen-chem on a deeper level is what you want, I recommend P-chem.

Biochem was very helpful for me because it covered more acid/base chemistry and related it to physiology.

A couple more points. Analytical chem is also very different from ochem. I don't think it's hard, just boring. So people say it's hard because it's such a chore.

Analytical chemistry is one big acid-base titration lab with lots of different instruments and statistical analysis.

It's not difficult.

But it sure is boring!

Anyone that has taken it-easy or hard? And compared to ochem, what did you think? I liked gen chem much better than ochem so I'm thinking about taking analytical for my chem minor in fall. Is it helpful at all for the MCAT?

Absolutely useless for the MCAT, though some of the stuff in the lecture will seem familiar. It's not hard (unless your professor is insane), just laborious, and above all tedious (the numbers matter?! wtf?!).:laugh:

I would say it is useful for the MCAT. In my course we covered all of gen-chem, along with things we didn't get to. I would say it is more useful than pchem in some ways, but not others.

I'm really shocked at the comments of the others...did yall have bad professors or something?

I took it last semester, and I thought that it did better solidify concepts learned in unversity chemistry. It was challenging but not too horrible; for me, it was easier than organic.

I'm in instrumental analysis right now, and that sounds more like what everyone else is describing.

If you have to take it, enjoy, but I wouldn't take it just to prepare for the MCAT.

Let me just say this, achem is about as hard as gchem (easy), but I'm glad I never have to take it again. 6 hour labs and 6 hour write-ups -- not my style.

I'm really shocked at the comments of the others...did yall have bad professors or something?

It would take a pretty stellar prof to make sig figs, error analysis, and excel interesting.

Error analysis not interesting? But chi is a squiggly X!

lol, you said anal

Hey, don't question whether I'm fit for medicine or not.

:laugh::laugh:I actually saw that too and the word stuck out like a sore thumb.:laugh::laugh:

In regards to this thread, I never personally took it but I heard this course wasn't as bad as compared to physical chem.

I would ask some other pre-meds at your college who took it, since it sounds like different colleges emphasize different things. I know one person at my college who took the MCAT told me that both analytical and biochem really helped, so I'm taking them in the fall to help prepare. It also depends on what your weaknesses are. If you're already good at gen chem, why take analytical before the MCAT?

I would ask some other pre-meds at your college who took it, since it sounds like different colleges emphasize different things. I know one person at my college who took the MCAT told me that both analytical and biochem really helped, so I'm taking them in the fall to help prepare. It also depends on what your weaknesses are. If you're already good at gen chem, why take analytical before the MCAT?

I've heard physical chem is more useful in terms of reviewing gen chem.