Analyze my 3 year plan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AustinL911

Registered Nurse
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to run my 3 year outlook by the members of SDN to make sure that I am on the right track. I have talked to numerous advisers and this seems to be an acceptable plan in their minds.

Background: Definitely non-traditional. I am 27. I currently have a Bachelors of Science in Nursing degree. I have been a nurse in an ICU for 3+ years now. Shortly after I started working as a nurse I found that I loved working in the medical field. I then decided that I wanted to go further into the medical field and wanted to become a physician. Current cGPA is probably around a 3.4+. I am lacking the BCPM pre-reqs required for most med school admissions. Basic 3 year outlook is to do excellent in those courses (need to increase my cGPA) and bust my ass for an exceptional MCAT. I work 36+ hours/wk., Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights. I am going to try to leave Mondays open for some sleep/schedule adjustment from nights and go to school Monday-Friday.

I am currently enrolled @ Ohio State.

-Outlook-

Spring 2013:
Chem 1
Physics 1
Bios1

Summer 2013:
Human Anatomy w/ dissection
Get involved in some sort of research (I'm at a loss on where to start here...)

Autumn 2013:
Chem 2
Physics 2
Bios2

Spring 2014:
Orgo 1
Orgo Lab 1
Start studying for MCAT (Optimal goal in my mind would be a practice test Q2wk so as to get used to taking it)

Summer 2014:
BioChem
MicroBio (optional, but I am going to do it anyways)
Maybe some more research
Continue MCAT studies

Autumn 2014:
Orgo 2
Orgo Lab 2
Continue MCAT studies

January - April-ish 2015:
Ramp up MCAT studying, hard

Spring 2015:
MCAT
Start applying

Autumn 2015:
Interviews and all that crap

Autumn 2016:
Matriculate

*I already volunteer quite frequently and will continue to do so
*Tentative plans are a week-long mission/nursing trip to the Dominican Republic Summer 2013 and 2014.
*LORs will be sought out.
*I hate calculus and won't be taking it.

Does this look like a decent plan for the near future? I don't see myself getting in any sooner than 2016, though I would definitely like to if that were an option. Would you do anything differently? Anything you would add?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

It's a decent plan in terms of courses, but for the MCAT, bear in mind that the MCAT is due to completely change in 2015, so I wouldn't start using the precious prep materials that early.

Hey,

It's a decent plan in terms of courses, but for the MCAT, bear in mind that the MCAT is due to completely change in 2015, so I wouldn't start using the precious prep materials that early.

Change how?

Members don't see this ad :)
Adding social sciences, etc. Check it out at AAMCs website

Hey,

Agreed, keep in mind that it is going to involve psychology and sociology (two courses you have probably already taken).

Your plan looks pretty good overall except there's really no reason to study for the MCAT for a year straight. You might even want to take a semester off and just completely focus on the MCAT for three months or so.

This looks like it will cost a lot of money, although I'm sure you know what you want to do with your life, especially since you've worked in a healthcare setting for such a long time.

Calculus is required by the way if I remember correctly.

Working 36+ hrs while taking bio, chem, and physics, plus labs in each I assume, is going too be tough. Especially considering that you have been out of school for several years. Why not take physics and ochem at the same time? That way you don't have more than two sciences and two labs at a time.

I would drop your MCAT studying before January 2015. If you study more than 3 months, you might forget some of the early stuff and it becomes pointless.

Working 36+ hrs while taking bio, chem, and physics, plus labs in each I assume, is going too be tough. Especially considering that you have been out of school for several years. Why not take physics and ochem at the same time? That way you don't have more than two sciences and two labs at a time.

Nurses are busy a lot of the time but sometimes the nurses I work with while volunteering do have downtime. One actually works on her masters every now and then while on the job.

Also, I think that it will be unlikely that you'll be able to take Monday off completely. Especially when most 4 hour classes meet MWF

Calculus is required by the way if I remember correctly.

I thought only some schools required it?

It's really not that bad at all, especially when working 3x12hr shifts. The biggest pita is switching back and forth from a day shift and night shift schedule. I also do not have much of a life anymore, but it is not too bad. Such are the sacrifices.

Nurses are busy a lot of the time but sometimes the nurses I work with while volunteering do have downtime. One actually works on her masters every now and then while on the job.

Also, I think that it will be unlikely that you'll be able to take Monday off completely. Especially when most 4 hour classes meet MWF

I have Mondays off this first semester. Ohio State offers tons of times to choose from. So far, it has not been a problem.

Last edited:
Try to take the MCAT before 2015.

Trust me, it's hard enough when you have dozens of practice tests and thousands of questions at your fingers.... Now imagine a test that is just as difficult, but with no practice materials for some of the sections.

Let me use a metaphor: let's say you have to take some advanced class (say, physiology), and there are 2 professors to choose from. In each class, 100% of your grade depends on your final. Each one is equally difficult, but their styles are slightly different. One professor will not tell you what's on the final, while the other has posted his final exams from the past ten years online. Which one would you take?

Do you all see any possible way to reach matriculation by 2015 instead of 2016? I'm getting old and would like to get this done sooner rather than later. I thought about moving the chemistry 2 up to the summer of 2013 spot so that I could get started in Orgo earlier, but, I don't really think that will help me very much. thoughts?