MD Anatomy amid COVID-19

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WrenchesToMD

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright first post as a medical student lol.

For those whose curriculum is 100% virtual, what are some ways you’ve found effective for studying anatomy? The virtual gross dissections and lectures for my school are covered well, so I don’t doubt the professors’ abilities.

As of now I’ve been making Anki cards which has been working well, but I’m still searching for the “putting it all together in big picture” ways.

Members don't see this ad.

For those whose curriculum is 100% virtual, what are some ways you’ve found effective for studying anatomy? The virtual gross dissections and lectures for my school are covered well, so I don’t doubt the professors’ abilities.

As of now I’ve been making Anki cards which has been working well, but I’m still searching for the “putting it all together in big picture” ways.

The only big pictures you need to know are those you've image occluded. Lol. But questions help big time for this. Try Gray's.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Last year when I was M1, I bought virtual 3D atlas . It is incredible- highly recommend

Is this the “complete anatomy” by 3D medical?

Also, can anyone speak on UMich’s anatomy questions? I’ve heard a bit about them as well

The only big pictures you need to know are those you've image occluded. Lol. But questions help big time for this. Try Gray's.

Lol love it. The image occlusions are helping for sure, but I feel like anatomy is going to be tested way different than it was in undergrad i.e. “what is this structure”. My school also hit us with embryo right out the gate on top of all the other stuff lol

Lol love it. The image occlusions are helping for sure, but I feel like anatomy is going to be tested way different than it was in undergrad i.e. “what is this structure”. My school also hit us with embryo right out the gate on top of all the other stuff lol

You're talking about the second and third order stuff, right? Like "If a prisoner gets stabbed in the armpit, what motor functions will be compromised?"

Get a cadaver anki deck (umich has a good one) and check out Home | Acland's Video Atlas of Human Anatomy.

You're talking about the second and third order stuff, right? Like "If a prisoner gets stabbed in the armpit, what motor functions will be compromised?"

Exactly. We do breakout sessions throughout lab with cases. Most have been along those lines or clinical presentations

Get a cadaver anki deck (umich has a good one) and check out Home | Acland's Video Atlas of Human Anatomy.

I just signed up for the 48hr trial, thank you! I also forgot to mention that I purchased an atlas that uses cadaver images alongside illustrations

Exactly. We do breakout sessions throughout lab with cases. Most have been along those lines or clinical presentations

Yeah, in that case, Gray's will serve you well. It's also got a significant number of embryo qs too. I'm talking about the review book. There's an online version that has tutor mode like step qbanks. The explanations are pretty good too.

Yeah, in that case, Gray's will serve you well. It's also got a significant number of embryo qs too. I'm talking about the review book. There's an online version that has tutor mode like step qbanks. The explanations are pretty good too.

Thank you, I'll look into those. Granted my curriculum is systems based, so right now they are giving us the "intro version" (lol) which turns out to still be a ton.

Reactions: 1 user

I just signed up for the 48hr trial, thank you! I also forgot to mention that I purchased an atlas that uses cadaver images alongside illustrations

I would still get a cadaver deck. Spaced repetition is really the best way to learn and anki does it for you.

Reactions: 1 user

Lol they gave us grays and I don’t think I even know where it is now.

Is this the “complete anatomy” by 3D medical?

Also, can anyone speak on UMich’s anatomy questions? I’ve heard a bit about them as well
Umich anatomy questions and explanations are gold tier. Highly recommend. I wouldn't be surprised if your professors even pull questions from there.

I would still get a cadaver deck. Spaced repetition is really the best way to learn and anki does it for you.

Funny you mention this about anki. I've been really seeing the importance of spaced repetition in the past few days of studying. Sounds a little premature, I know, but it's pretty fascinating how much our brains are able to cram in there.

I also appreciate that our curriculum overlaps as well i.e. anatomy lecture Tuesday correlates with Wed/Thu lab dissection.