Anatomy and cadavers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alex28

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if it is possible to attend DO school and participate in anatomy without physically contacting cadavers? Due to my religion, I am not permitted to touch bodies that are dead. I can only touch bodies of patients whose lives I am trying to save (That's assuming I can go to medical school.). I truly want to become a doctor and help people, but I can't participate in the traditional anatomy class. I've heard that some progressive schools have anatomy more based in a virtual experience with computer aided learning. I could also atttend anatomy as long as I didn't have to touch -- only observe.
Does anyone have suggestions of schools I could attend?

Hopeful doctor,
Alex

Members don't see this ad.

Howdy Chief,

(The following is my informed opinion. So don't yell at me if I'm wrong.)

I have quite a few friends who have gone through gross anatomy, and I had a comparative type anatomy class as an undergrad that was basically the same thing only with animals.

Its much harder to learn anatomy without acutally seeing it hands on. Studying diagrams, charts, books, and other virtual resources are great ways to help you learn it, but you still need to participate in the actual dissection in order to appreciate it.

The medical schools I know of have as many as 6 people to a cadaver. Some I know only have 2. It would be very possible for other members of your "lab" group to do all the physical touching while you sat back and learned the material. However, During practical examinations you're going to be expected to point to various structures, and that may be difficult without touching. What if you have to lift the intestines to access the retroperitoneal cavity to pinpoint the renal artery?

Does your religion permit you to touch the body with an extension of your hand? Perhaps a probe, or a pair of forceps would get you by the physical aspects.

W.

During our practicals at UHS, you were not allowed to touch the cadavers at all. However, to study for the practical without touching the cadavers I think woudl be impossible. Much studying is done on your own, outside of lab time. You are alone and no one is there to move stuff for you. Also, the closer exams get, the less help you can probably expect from other students (unless they are actually studying with you.) I know ONE guy who managed to do really well in anatomy by only studying Netter. In my opinion, you will have a very difficult time if you can't touch the cadavers.

Alex28,

I posted something that might of use to you in your similarly titled entry in my "Everyone" forum.

------------------
'Old Man Dave'
KCOM, Class of '03

Nothing Risked, Nothing Gained!!