Anatomy and Physiology on the MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

helpabrotherout

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So the 2015 MCAT Preview Guide doesn't list anatomy and physiology under classes required, but on several instances I've read on this forum that anatomy and physiology is indeed tested on the MCAT. So I ask, those of you that have taken the MCAT, how much anatomy and physiology is on the MCAT? Can it be self learned over the course of two years using a textbook (I'm going to be a freshman). Anatomy and physiology at my school is a challenging two semester course (at least according to myedu) and requires labs. I might be able to cram it into my schedule, but that would require me taking 18 or 21 semester hours, which I'd rather not do.

Members don't see this ad.

Anatomy/Physiology isn't tested beyond the level of general biology. You don't need to take the actual Anatomy/Physio course, not at all.

It depends on the content of the intro bio classes at your school - if they cover human biology/organ systems you probably don't need to take A&P. At my school, our intro bio courses didn't introduce any human biology at the organ level, so I had to take physiology to get that content which is on the mcat. Read the course descriptions. Either way, it wouldn't hurt to take them.

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends on the content of the intro bio classes at your school - if they cover human biology/organ systems you probably don't need to take A&P. At my school, our intro bio courses didn't introduce any human biology at the organ level, so I had to take physiology to get that content which is on the mcat. Read the course descriptions. Either way, it wouldn't hurt to take them.

I don't know any intro bio courses that don't go over the organ systems, otherwise it is sort of a waste of a course.

Yeah, if by the off-chance your bio course contained no physiology, you may need to take the course, but I doubt that is the case.

unless you're a bio major or you're super interested in A&P, I recommend just reading an intro bio book for the mcat rather than taking a full course, which will go into FAR more detail than is tested

Two things...this is the case for the old MCAT. How much A&P do you think will be needed on the 2015 exam? The same?

Also, how much is Genetics and Cell Biology tested on the current MCAT? Are these classes worth taking or is self study sufficient?

I didn't take A&P while going for my degree. I took it as a post-bacc and now I would have to say not taking it was a mistake for two reasons:
1) The "old" MCAT had bio passages that would have been much easier if I had just taken A&P (nephron, gamete production, etc). I picture the "new" MCAT will have similar questions or passages.
2) If we are going to be doctors, doesn't it make sense to study the human body to see if we are interested in it? I really enjoyed labs because we used cadavers.

Two things...this is the case for the old MCAT. How much A&P do you think will be needed on the 2015 exam? The same?

Also, how much is Genetics and Cell Biology tested on the current MCAT? Are these classes worth taking or is self study sufficient?
For genetics there the p^2+2pq+q^2 for alleles was the only thing I didn't know. I don't remember too many cell bio difficulties, but I come from a biochem background. Self study probably is good if you have a science background. Pick your favorite method.