Anatomy at LECOM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctortobee

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey

How does anatomy at LECOM work? I know they told us about it during the interview tour, but I don't remember!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think we will have anatomy, embryology, histology, and OMM for the first 12 to 13 weeks. Then, the rest of the semester is the other core classes and OMM.

DocGeorge7 is correct. That's the way we did it this year.

However, I've been hearing rumors that they may be making a significant change in the gross lab format. I'm not certain anything will change for your class or not (perhaps it is meant for classes further down the road), but what I have heard involves a potential switch to either ALL prosection (no student dissections of cadavers, but rather only focused study of bodies dissected by the faculty) or an expanded lab with more cadavers so everyone will dissect more equally.

The way we did it was to split the class up four ways, and each group (A,B,C, or D) took turns dissecting (which ammounted to two sessions each) and the remainder of the sessions were spent prosecting what the current dissection group was into (in shifts).

For example, my group (B) dissected first (back/thorax) and then fifth (abdomen). Everything else we saw in prosection. There are certainly advantages to both, but I liked dissecting because it forced me to pay better attention and learn more than did prosecting. However, there are many that felt the opposite was true also. Prosection is great in that it can be done very quickly, and leaves much more free time for studying and relaxing away from the smelly anatomy labs...but considering that everyone else had to take turns cutting too, it was fair the way we did it.

Hope that gives you some insight...good luck in the fall

Members don't see this ad :)
Another question...

I know that classes pretty much run from 8-5. Do you have any substantial breaks between classes (30 min here, 30 min there)?

Thanks!

Yes, especially during anatomy, you get a lot of free time. However, it probably will not feel like it until it is over and you start the real hell that is core sciences. Unfortunately, I don't speak from a lot of experience in that regard becuase I am a PBL student and don't share the core-schedule with my LDP friends. But I do know how things are for them now, and its definitely a lot more classtime than it was in anatomy (at least from a scheduled-lecture standpoint). Anatomy had things far more spread out because different groups were doing different things all day outside of lecture. For instance, we might have anatomy lectures from 8-10, and then embryology from 10-11, and then another anatomy lecture from 11-12. But many times (especially in the afternoons) you would be split up by groups such that groups A and D would be in a "small group" session for anatomy (basically a lecture supplement...I felt it was busywork) for an hour while group C is in prosection. Group B may have nothing to do until after C is through in the anatomy lab and they can begin more dissection throughout the remainder of the afternoon (at which point, the other 3 groups might be totally done for the day).

So you see that the 1st semester has a highly variable range of scheduling possibilities, and rarely will two weeks (or even two days) be completely alike. Once you start core however, things (for LDP) will be far more 8 to 5-ish. Its funny, but as intense and grueling as you'll find anatomy to be while you're doing it (and its really not THAT bad, I swear)...you'll long for its freedoms and varieties once its over and you get into straight lecturing 8 hours a day. At least, that's the impression I get from my LDP friends. But its not all bad. Occasionally they get out early. And there are clinical things to do too, so its not like its all sitting in a damn swivelly chair in a shirt and tie everyday. And I'm certain that you'll find out soon enough (despite the "mandatory attendance policy" in place) that you'll each discover which classes you can blow off (on occasion) and which ones you cannot.

You'll get through it. Everyone else does. I hope my ranting doesn't frighten anyone either! I am just giving you a glimpse of a typical day in the life of LECOM. Like everything else you can do in the world, some days are clearly better than others. If you can have more good than bad, you've succeeded. Its the same way in med-school.

Good luck to all...

Wow thanks for such a great response....I'll take any advice you want to give me!!