anatomy attire

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopedoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am attending PCOM this fall and was wondering if anyone knows whether I will need either a lab coat or scrubs, or both. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I did cadaver dissection in PA school. My advice is to get some scrubs that you plan on tossing out after you've finished. The formaldehyde smell will permeate EVERYTHING, its amazing. I doubt you will need a labcoat unless the school requires it for some bizarre reason.

Good luck

Chris

You'll definitely need scrubs. During your orientation, you will be given a chance to pick up a used surgical gown. They all smell and are permanently saturated with formalyn, but I would advise getting to the lab at the assigned time during orientation so you can pick one out that is not too bad. Get there late and you are sure to regret it as all semi-decent gowns will be gone.

Good Luck.

------------------
JDG
PCOM 2004

Members don't see this ad :)
Do it ghettostyle and just wear an old t-shirt and an old pair of jeans.

Tim W. of the East Flatbush School of Medicine.

Thanks guys!

We had to wear scrubs and white coats...although they didn't stay white for very long.

Are shorts and tank tops acceptable? Might as well be comfortable. What about flip-flops?

Why would you wanna?

Tim W. of N.Y.C.

um, yeah, tank top??? flip flops?? when those internal organ fluids start sloshing on your shoes you'll be glad you are wearing some. You'll want your front covered. A few people in my class wore rubber aprons, looked like a good deal. You won't be bringing anything out of the lab when you are finished. Our lab was kinda cold as well, so sometimes I wore my lab coat just to keep warm.

It is best to wear the same suit you wore to your interview to anatomy lab.

biggrin.gif

If your school does require a white lab coat, may wish to only get the cheapest kind possible as it is useless after that (except maybe to sell second hand to an anatomy student next year) since the stuff is stuck in.
Ditto actually for Netter's--I used mine alot in the lab as I was a fan of dissections. Though it never got splashed or anything, it still feels a bit contaminated with the preservatives (I now wash my hands after looking something up in it for reference). When enter school, may wish to go together with a few of your pals and get an old second-hand Netter's and use it only for the lab and keep your own one only for use at home.

[This message has been edited by roo (edited 01-28-2001).]