Spectreman

5+ Year Member
May 9, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student (Accepted)
Hey Everyone,

Quick background: I have research "experience" in a masters, getting through an entire project that has stalled thanks to politics and a PI who won't let me type up the manuscript. I also did undergrad research, but the point is that I have no pubs.

I want to go into surgery (thinking general, not 100% though).

I LOVE ANATOMY. My masters is in anatomy, I have the class high as of now, yeah, I love love love anatomy.

Now for the question:
Would any surgeons and/or residency experts mind commenting on their opinion of doing a summer anatomy fellowship, versus pushing for a summer research internship? I feel like having no publications is looming over me, but my passion for teaching anatomy and further solidifying my knowledge in that would be amplified by an anatomy fellowship.

I would appreciate comments from post-med school individuals, thanks.

Last edited:

AlbinoHawk DO

An Osteopath
7+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2013
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
I'm not an expert in surgery residency requirements, but from the surgeons I spoke during rotations many said there are programs that require you to do 1 or 2 years of research as part of your residency. You do have research, but many times people see that as "checking off box to get into medical school." Showing a continued effort to do research can project that you are actually interested in it and will likely contribute to the field in the future -- even if you are still really doing it to match.

EDiT: Also if you change your mind about the field, having research is always positive.

About the Ads

Spectreman

5+ Year Member
May 9, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student (Accepted)
Research>>>Any other extracurricular
I know in my heart you're right, but man that kind of bums me out. The anatomy fellows at my school get paid $30/hour to tutor! I would so love to do that, and I have a wife and kids, so that money would be amazing... *shrug* you're right though, I'll start applying to research internships.

Anyone have tips on getting research internships? What really helps you get into those? Do M1 grades help or matter? Most of the deadlines are around March so I feel like my Fall grades could factor in if they even look at that. Will having no pubs make it tough to get into one?

Anti-PD1

Brain/Spine/Nerves
2+ Year Member
Dec 29, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I know in my heart you're right, but man that kind of bums me out. The anatomy fellows at my school get paid $30/hour to tutor! I would so love to do that, and I have a wife and kids, so that money would be amazing... *shrug* you're right though, I'll start applying to research internships.

Anyone have tips on getting research internships? What really helps you get into those? Do M1 grades help or matter? Most of the deadlines are around March so I feel like my Fall grades could factor in if they even look at that. Will having no pubs make it tough to get into one?

Here's a good place to start, ignore the Penn-specific details:

Short Term Opportunities | Research & Fellowship Opportunities for Penn Med Students | Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania

Getting one of these society research fellowships is all about having your mentor be a big shot. If you can convince a big name in academic surgery to take you on as a summer research student, they can help you apply to one of these. Also see if your med school offers summer research fellowships. Might be possible to double dip.

Reactions: 1 user

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
May 10, 2013
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Hey Everyone,

Quick background: I have research "experience" in a masters, getting through an entire project that has stalled thanks to politics and a PI who won't let me type up the manuscript. I also did undergrad research, but the point is that I have no pubs.

I want to go into surgery (thinking general, not 100% though).

I LOVE ANATOMY. My masters is in anatomy, I have the class high as of now, yeah, I love love love anatomy.

Now for the question:
Would any surgeons and/or residency experts mind commenting on their opinion of doing a summer anatomy fellowship, versus pushing for a summer research internship? I feel like having no publications is looming over me, but my passion for teaching anatomy and further solidifying my knowledge in that would be amplified by an anatomy fellowship.

I would appreciate comments from post-med school individuals, thanks.

Do whatever will get you published more.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.