Sep 20, 2013
Status
Pre-Dental
I'm done with undergrad but haven't taken Anatomy or Histology yet. Is it worth it to pay a whole semesters tuition to take these classes before dental school? Or should I buy the books and study them without taking the class and save money?

I appreciate any input!!!

Glimmer1991

5+ Year Member
May 5, 2012
NC
Status
Dental Student
I've heard that these classes are quite helpful.
Do some research and see if the teachers at your school are "worth the money." Some instructors just aren't that great, as I'm sure you know, and you'd be just as well off learning it on your own.
That being said, why would you have to pay the whole semester's worth of tuition? Couldn't you just pay for the classes on a credit-hour basis, like a part-time student?

slm266

Dentist
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2008
Status
Dentist
Depends on your stats and if you think schools will accept you without it. Also depends on the schools you want to get in and whether they require anatomy or simply recommend it. Doing well in those classes will strengthen your app, but you'd know better than us if your application needs it or not

Glimmer1991

5+ Year Member
May 5, 2012
NC
Status
Dental Student
Depends on your stats and if you think schools will accept you without it. Also depends on the schools you want to get in and whether they require anatomy or simply recommend it. Doing well in those classes will strengthen your app, but you'd know better than us if your application needs it or not
Good point--I was assuming you were already accepted.
I know a few schools require A&P, so definitely take it if if there is a chance you *have to* for some of your potential schools. I know UNC requires it, for example.

OP
U
Sep 20, 2013
Status
Pre-Dental
I've been accepted and am planning on taking anatomy, histology, and microbiology next semester as a part time student (I graduated awhile back as well.) I'm doing it because I want D1 to be as painless as possible.
lol thats the exact reason why i'm doing it. I've already been accepted as well and will do anything to help out during D1. Thanks for the replies friends!!

Reactions: SicEm

slm266

Dentist
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2008
Status
Dentist
I would take anatomy and physiology. Maybe not micro, most likely you'll just cram a bunch of details that you'll forget and have to re-cram for micro tests in dental school. Definitely talk to current students at your specific school, bc micro and histo aren't classes that taking it ahead of time would be super helpful at my school

Apr 12, 2013
Texas
Status
Pre-Dental
I would take anatomy and physiology. Maybe not micro, most likely you'll just cram a bunch of details that you'll forget and have to re-cram for micro tests in dental school. Definitely talk to current students at your specific school, bc micro and histo aren't classes that taking it ahead of time would be super helpful at my school
You're at Baylor right? Dr. Miller seemed to think those three would benefit me, so I figure I'll go for it. I'm already going to have one heck of a D1 year for reasons I posted about elsewhere so I figure if I can reduce my stress by even 2% it's worth it. I can see where you're coming from about micro though, I'll probably lose most of it before retaking in dental school. But I've got nothing better to do until this summer so might as well :)

ramborhino

5+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2013
Status
I vote for not taking any unneeded classes. Of course, if you had no other choice and HAVE to take classes it can make sense to do science ones. But, the benefit of having an enjoyable last few months way way way surpasses the benefits of being a bit more familiar with some science content (which will be presented and tested on differently in dental school anyway). Be very very cautious of burning out before dental school starts.

NMC2010

τετέλεσται
5+ Year Member
Jun 5, 2013
on the sidewalk
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Just had both Histology and Anatomy finals today. Tis going to be a good night's sleep this eve after I barricade my friend's door shut with a giant snowman :)

My histology teacher said histo is pretty important for dental school (she used to teach at med school). Obviously anatomy is as well since you're going to have to be doing gross again. Couldn't hurt, but I wouldn't pay a zillion extra dollars for them unless they're prereqs.

LaughingGas

7+ Year Member
May 17, 2010
Status
Dental Student, Dentist
+1 to relax. I asked every single interview to d students if I should take any courses for exposure. All of them told me to do nothing and relax until school starts. Volume was so huge the undergrad courses would seem obsolete.

Reactions: kingenamel

jeffity

7+ Year Member
Oct 23, 2009
Status
Dentist
Science is a drag.

If anything, pick up a copy of a book like this. It can only help in school and your whole career now. It's probably better than a random undergrad chapter of histology you may cover in school in 10 minutes, if at all. For me, material was presented so differently and faster and in such varying depth that trying to prep for it would be a potential waste of time. And dollars. You just gotta be there and be ready to adapt. What worked in undergrad might not work for you there.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1608317463

Jul 18, 2013
Status
Pre-Dental
Yeah, anyone I asked just said to relax, but that's not exactly my style :) so I think I'll do a hybrid. I'm planning on just getting the book, finding out when the classes are offered and showing up to the lecture. That way I can have exposure without stressing about a grade or paying. The only problem is you can't really go to the anatomy lab, unless you got permission first or something.

predentalgirl

5+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2012
Status
Dental Student
I just finished taking Anatomy. Really hoping it pays off next year.

As for Histology, I am SO nervous. I hear this class is utter hell. Histology isn't even offered for undergrads at my school.

But I think I am just gonna finish my double major and minor next semester and worry about the classes later. If I feel like I want to browse through books later, I will.

Enjoy your last semester guys! It's the ONLY one left! Before the real deal begins!

ecap707

Dental Student
Jun 27, 2011
I'm done with undergrad but haven't taken Anatomy or Histology yet. Is it worth it to pay a whole semesters tuition to take these classes before dental school? Or should I buy the books and study them without taking the class and save money?

I appreciate any input!!!
I got your Answer. Listen to me man cuz I'm a second year currently. Don't waste ur money on more classes. Get the first aid nbde part one book. And study it. It's got what u will learn in dental school and you will also be well prepared for the boards

sgv

5+ Year Member
Sep 5, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Science is a drag.

If anything, pick up a copy of a book like this. It can only help in school and your whole career now. It's probably better than a random undergrad chapter of histology you may cover in school in 10 minutes, if at all. For me, material was presented so differently and faster and in such varying depth that trying to prep for it would be a potential waste of time. And dollars. You just gotta be there and be ready to adapt. What worked in undergrad might not work for you there.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1608317463
i hate that book...
OP if you do get this book, you might end up bored because that book just tells you every anatomical feature you might find on a tooth. take a look at your teeth in the mirror. if you see a groove, there's a name for that. if you see a pit, there's a name for that. Here are some things you would need to know. Cusp tip, cusp slope, marginal ridge, fossa & grooves, pits & fissures (anatomical abnormalities), tilts, proximal contacts, height of contours, cusp size relationships, cusp names, root orientation, size, and number, calcification dates, eruption dates, and deciduous teeth for all 32 (20) teeth from the facial, lingual, mesial, distal, and occlusal views...luckily there're trends....it's like memorizing the architecture of a building from all sides so well that you can visualize all the details of every teeth in your head.

at my school, dental anatomy was one of the easier classes and we only met like once a week, as opposed to gross anatomy which was everyday. so if you had to cram an entire course during a summer, dental anatomy would be more doable. if you're having trouble sleeping, try reading a chapter of Woelfel instead of taking benadryl...

Last edited:

jeffity

7+ Year Member
Oct 23, 2009
Status
Dentist
He doesn't need that book. He doesn't need any, really. Use the internet for all I care. The point, is that knowing a thing or two about anything oral is an obvious win-win for career and school (and boards). Seems like a safer and cheaper bet than another science course (and a little more relaxing). For some, it's almost a new language, and not having to think about (or less) when terminology comes flying at you can only make it easier.

sgv

5+ Year Member
Sep 5, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
He doesn't need that book. He doesn't need any, really. Use the internet for all I care. The point, is that knowing a thing or two about anything oral is an obvious win-win for career and school (and boards). Seems like a safer and cheaper bet than another science course (and a little more relaxing). For some, it's almost a new language, and not having to think about (or less) when terminology comes flying at you can only make it easier.
woops, i actually think he definitely needs that book for dental anatomy...i just happen to hate that book

Oct 22, 2013
Status
Dental Student
I histo last semester and I am taking Gross anatomy next semester to graduate. I think that the cadaver experience may be beneficial for entering D1 students. Since you've already worked on a cadaver before, it may make the dissection as a dental student faster (read: free up a little bit of time to study other stuff), since your not terrified that you might be cutting something that you shouldn't.