Anatomy in my dreams

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blueprint

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yello to all

Two weeks into my first year of medical school and I thought I wasnt doing to bad. Lessee, I wasn't the goofiest at the white coat ceremony. I went to the right class at the right time on the first day and didn't get lost for more than 30 minutes. I didnt faint or puke during anatomy lab. Phew. So after smooth sailing through those initial potential pitfalls, I must be in the clear, right?

No, of course not (there must be some reason for this post). You see, I am having these dreams about gross anatomy lab. Oh Oh, you say. Now its not like me an my cadaver are checking out the latest khakis at THE GAP while sipping some java. No. Each night, after lab, I do the lab all over again. I dream of doing the dissections, talking to my lab mates, going over structures, everything. And its not like I dont have better things to dream about. Or that I am not getting enough anatomy while wide-eyed.

So, in this great assimilationary vessel we call medical school, I wonder if I am the only one? Any one else out there dreaming of their dissections?

Meantime I am gonna try to figure out if I can remember any material from the dreams.

Blueprint

[This message has been edited by Blueprint (edited 08-29-2000).]

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't started class yet, but I'm sure I'll have anatomy dreams. I have always had dreams about classes I'm taking, especially when I'm putting in alot of time on the material. I remember physics dreams and dreams about microeconomics and orgo, too. I think the worst part was looking at the six-sided tiles in my bathroom and seeing benzene ring structures...I was awake for that...

Apparently, dreaming about this isn't that uncommon. I actually read a published diary of a 1st year once who dreamed that she'd brought her cadaver home with her for Thanksgiving. The cadaver was sitting at the dinner table and her parents treated it like a live person. The student published the diary when she was in 3rd year, so I guess the dreaming stops eventually.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Eleusia:
Apparently, dreaming about this isn't that uncommon. I actually read a published diary of a 1st year once who dreamed that she'd brought her cadaver home with her for Thanksgiving. The cadaver was sitting at the dinner table and her parents treated it like a live person. The student published the diary when she was in 3rd year, so I guess the dreaming stops eventually.

Now that's some twisted s**t! Just my dos cientos.

-imtiaz

Actually, my dreams started before medschool. I once had a dream that the cadavers had come back to life and were trying to perform the dissections on me. Also, the cadavers were reanimating during the disections.
No, dreams since the start of school though. Been too tired to remember any dreams. Just cannot stop looking at people on the street and wondering what their back would look like disected.

Richard

Dude, if you are actually giving yourself a review of anatomy while you sleep, you need to give your unconscious a big "Thank You!" and quit studying during the day! Now that is efficiency!
biggrin.gif

When I started working as a grocery store clerk 5 years ago, I used to ring people up in my sleep. That went away after a week though. When I was an orientation leader for freshman orientation at my university, I used to give tours and small group discussions in my sleep (I would always apologize for my attire, that cracks me up). All of these went away after a couple weeks though, once I became used to my behavior. Give it a while before you let it stress you out.

Eric

Ya, me and my roommate both dreamed anatomy in our sleep. We took it during the summer (the first half) and are TA's now. It's pretty common. Good luck.

I had this conversation just a few minutes ago. I think anatomy in bed at night, I dream it, it is on my mind when I piss at 3 am and again when I wake. Seems strange, but it is possessing me - eat, drink, live, and breath anatomy! Least till after the first midterm
biggrin.gif

Dude, don't worry. I have the same dreams (including performing all of the procedures). So you're not the only one.

------------------
And the blessings just keep coming!

Sounds a lot like when I worked at good ol' Micky D's a few years back... I would dream about making an endless stream of biscuits for an even more endless stream of demanding customers. That's bad enough... what's worse is that I would nearly always be woken up at 3:00 in the morning right after that dream... and go make an endless stream of biscuits for an even more endless stream of demanding customers.
smile.gif

------------------
Nature and Nature's laws lay hid in night,
God said "Let Newton be," and all was light.

-- Alexander Pope

How about dreaming you are reading an anatomy textbook? This has happened to me four times so far, and once I awoke to hear myself actually saying the words I was reading (as I sometimes really do to reinforce an important concept). The really scary thing is that the dream text sounds so accurate, but I have yet to pull out Moore & Dalley to verify. I'm afraid that my subconcious mind is making things up to fill in the gaps in my knowledge.

[This message has been edited by Pilot (edited 09-10-2000).]

It's almost frightening to think that we are all going through the same thing. I think about it all the time. I am constantly imagining origins, insertions, main actions, innervations. I think that it is the overwhelming complexity of it all coupled with the realization that you have to know your anatomy "cold" to become a successful physician.

G

Cool.
Thanks for sharing your experiences.
Good luck in your endeavors.

I once dreamt that some one was trying to kill Frank netter and I took a bullet for him