1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Anatomy Lab Advice?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by ut2010, Apr 27, 2007.

1. ut2010

ut2010 Medical Student
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I have to remediate Anatomy in the summer and it is the lab that is giving me the most problem. I tend to panic during a practical :eek: . I guess the time limit per station affects me.

Any advice about how to get the most out of lab and be prepared for the practicals? Thank You Very Much!

I just want to survive it!! :scared:
    Hope everyone has a super weekend :hardy:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Critical Mass

Medical Student
    I guess my advice would be to practice doing practicals. Get a list of structures and go through several bodies until you are sure where everything is.

4. Dr Who

Dr Who Future MD...
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Go over as many cadavers as yoou can. Make a list of all the structures you need to know and then go over them on EACH cadaver. Then when you think you have it more or less down make a group and give them a walkthrough, as if you are the professor.
    I know it is a bit time consuming, but at least it will work. You know you learned something when you can explain it to someone else and they understand.

5. njbmd

njbmd Guest
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Check out this site http://www.med.umich.edu/lrc/coursepages/M1/anatomy/html/courseinfo/video_index.html and other Anatomy sites under the "Useful Links" at the top of this forum. There are other dissection sites that you can look at over and over.

Things that worked for me in lab:
    • I would make a list of all structures to be identified from the Dissector
    • Divide the list into superficial, intermediate, deep
    • Scan the Netter atlas to see where these structures might be located
    • Make copies of my Netter plates and staple them to my structure list (kept my atlas clean too).
    • Find and identify all structures on my cadaver
    • Review on several cadavers (with the owner's permission).

I might also look at the Rohen atlas but largely found this atlas pretty useless as our dissections were not as clean. Rohen was good for looking at the relative size of structures.

Remember that when structures are "pinned" on a lab practical, there are usually landmarks nearby that can be used to confirm your identification. Your thinking should go something like this: Identify the region and landmarks (25 seconds), identify the structure (15 seconds), confirm your identification (10 seconds), write down your answer (10 seconds) and move on. Practice this scenario over and over with the structures (that you know) on your cadaver so that it become "second nature" and you follow the same procedure during the test(have someone time you). Following a familiar procedure helps to cut down on anxiety. Good luck!

6. ut2010

ut2010 Medical Student
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Thanks for all the great replies, the advice is very useful! :)

7. Green Chimneys

Green Chimneys Meatwad's Worst Nightmare
    7+ Year Member

Wisconsin also has some good videos on their website. Great to watch before you disect, but also great to watch before you take the exam. I imagine if you're remediating you're probably working with a prosected cadaver to save time, right?

http://www.anatomy.wisc.edu/courses/gross/index.html

8. LifetimeDoc

LifetimeDoc EM Attending
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Wow, you get 1 minute per structure to identify? At our gross anatomy lab practical, we only had 30 seconds per structure. Each station had 2 items to identify (with some requiring additional secondary questions to be added like innervation or blood supply) with a 1 minute time limit to answer both questions.

Are all medical school practicals written, or are some multiple choice? I hear that some are multiple choice, and that seems like they'd be super easy if that were the case.

One thing that I felt helped me in gross anatomy was first watching the dissection videos from U of Wisconsin, going over the dissection in Grants, and then perusing the appropriate pages in Netter to get an idea of the "theory" of what the structure should look like. Drawing out blood supplies and plexi seemed to help in areas. I also found that studying with a group on set days helped a great deal as we were able to teach each other the material. We only had limited time slots with our bodies, so this may not be necessary in medical school where you get access 24/7.

9. francisdoss

francisdoss Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    This one is awesome...What about Ackland's?

10. shivasHeroLike

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i don't think ackland is good to study lab practical from.

it should be used as a general preview before cutting into a cadaver so you get an idea of what to expect and certain landmarks.

like a previous poster said, make a list of all the structures you find & then try to locate it on other bodies.

Go with a group of people (like 3-4) so you can quiz each other.

11. chandelantern

chandelantern MSI at Mayo in August!
    5+ Year Member

If there is another person (or a group of you) also retaking the course it might be helpful to set up mock practicals for each other. Our group did this before our lab practical and I thought it helped. Structure it like the real thing is structured so you are comfortable with the time limit and depth of the questions, etc.

12. njbmd

njbmd Guest
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Even better, get your instructor to set up the mock practical and work with your study partner together. Go over your mistakes with the instructor and learn from them so that you don't repeat them on the real thing. Good luck!

13. futuredo32

futuredo32 Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I had to remediate anatomy too. The advice given above was really good. I think that for me, spending more time before going to lab, learning about the structural relationships (ie, this muscles origin is x and insertion is y, this nerve attaches here and courses through here, etc), was really helpful. For whatever it's worth, I found anatomy a lot more managable the second time around.
    Good Luck!