Anatomy & Physiology Combined Course?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Artful Dodger

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In my school, they offer a course entitled "Human Anatomy & Physiology". It's 5 credits with lab. However, I'm not sure whether dental schools will accept or transfer this course...I'm sitting here & trying to determine whether I enrolled in the right course.

I did some calling around though...i.e. UMKC...they told me the course would transfer as Microbiology? Not sure.

Members don't see this ad.

How can Anatomy and Physiology (study of the human body), be substituted for Microbiology (study of microscopic organisms)?

In my school, they offer a course entitled "Human Anatomy & Physiology". It's 5 credits with lab. However, I'm not sure whether dental schools will accept or transfer this course...I'm sitting here & trying to determine whether I enrolled in the right course.

I did some calling around though...i.e. UMKC...they told me the course would transfer as Microbiology? Not sure.

If you want to learn some fundamentals take the course. Most anatomy/physio courses are too elementary for what you will need for dental school. Those that are directed toward allied health are too broad in scope.

Members don't see this ad :)
How can Anatomy and Physiology (study of the human body), be substituted for Microbiology (study of microscopic organisms)?

I was seriously in disbelief when I was told they'd substitute it for Microbiology. How is that logically possible? haha

Well, I'll do some more asking around while I let the posts rack up in here.

Thanks ya'll!

What do you mean? Since neither micro nor anat/physio is a required course for admission it really doesn't matter how your courses are classified. What UMKC may have been trying to tell you is that they have their own system of assigning science courses and they happen not to use anat/physio. The classification will have little or no bearing on your application. In general, DS do not accept or transfer courses taken as part of undergraduate curriculum.

What do you mean? Since neither micro nor anat/physio is a required course for admission it really doesn't matter how your courses are classified. What UMKC may have been trying to tell you is that they have their own system of assigning science courses and they happen not to use anat/physio. The classification will have little or no bearing on your application. In general, DS do not accept or transfer courses taken as part of undergraduate curriculum.

Thanks man. I think I'm NOW more clear, with your explanation, about how dental schools deal with classes beyond pre-reqs. I guess I'll take the class because I know the information will become useful in the future.

Some schools require microbiology, anatomy, and physiology as pre-reqs for admissions. For example, at Ohio State a quarter or semester of each is required. However, if anatomy and physiology are combined in one course, two quarters or semesters are required.

Some schools require microbiology, anatomy, and physiology as pre-reqs for admissions. For example, at Ohio State a quarter or semester of each is required. However, if anatomy and physiology are combined in one course, two quarters or semesters are required.

Thanx. It helps to db ck the pertinent info otherwise we get the usual result- dissemination of misinformation. Anatomy is required at Mid, Howard, UCSF, Ind, UMKC, UNC, Ohio, and Ore; physio is required at AZ, Mid, UNKC, Ohio, Ore.

If you want to learn some fundamentals take the course. Most anatomy/physio courses are too elementary for what you will need for dental school. Those that are directed toward allied health are too broad in scope.

This was exactly my experience. If I had to do it over again I would have taken something that was more detailed such as Anatomy by itself and Physiology by itself.