Anatomy & Physiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ballew21

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm scheduled to take both Anatomy & Physiology next semester, but I'm debating whether or not I should take one class before the other. I was thinking that Anatomy would be preferable to take before Physiology, in order to learn about where organs, muscles, and bones are located, but if you have a strong background in that area, would it make a difference to take both classes at the same time. In addition, for those who have taken the classes previously, do you reference a lot of the information that is covered in Anatomy in a Physiology course, i.e., bone structure, general histology, etc.? Any information would be helpful.

Thanks,
Nick

Members don't see this ad.

My personal feeling is that while some histology background makes it a little easier to visualize some of the physiology, it's unlikely that you will get enough histo in a general anatomy class anyway. I think you'll be fine taking both at the same time, a lot of places do one a&p class to start the series anyway. Also, I just finished my MS in anatomy if that helps qualify my answer.

Good luck,

Jayme

I took human anatomy during the summer and took physiology in the fall. My anatomy teacher said it is better to take anatomy before physiology
(his opinion only) and I sort of agree with him since you have be familiar with human anatomy to even learn human physiology(I have not thought whether it is true the otherway around).
Also I think there are classes like "Anatomy and Physiology" which integrate anatomy and physiology into "one" class and it is divided into 2 semester sequences. Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took physiology without prior preparation in anatomy and I did fine by God's grace

I thought I'd chime in since I just finished with gross anatomy and had taken (graduate) physiology previously. I don't think it makes all that much difference what order you take these two classes, you don't really need the anatomy for the physiology.

Now having also just finished histology/cell biology as well, I do think that class might give you a leg up in physiology.

Now, having said all that I'd also carefully consider if taking anatomy and physiology at the same time is absolutely necessary... neither are easy classes.

Good LUCK!! Anatomy and Physiology are tough subjects.

I'm dying now taking Clinical Microbiology, Histology, Biochemistry, and Anatomy this semester.

Anatomists do not go into great detail about things. Most of the time you'll spend in the lab trying to id things and learning origins and insertions.

I'm taking Physiology next semester with Biochem II and Immunology. :eek: I'm a glutton for punishment.

Hi, I am physiology major at UCLA, and I would have to say that you should take anatomy before physiology. Our classes were as follows: 1st quarter) anatomy of bones and muscles, with the second half emphasizing the brain and neural systems. :) 2nd quarter) A lot of info on neuroscience, with a bit on the ear at the end. :) 3rd quarter) muscle physiology, cardiovascular, and respiratory physiology. :eek: We covered endocrine systems this quarter, and I am now blessed to be studying transport mech! :rolleyes: Anyway, to make a long story short, without knowing the anatomy, I would be completely lost because there is so much material to know. I guess what I am trying to say is that it is a good foundation for your later courses. However, if you are confident that you can swing both at the same time, the Good Luck. ;) I guess that if your school's curriculum is different that mine, you might have less problems. All in all, good luck with everything and get ready for the time of your life. Phy Sci is definitely one of the most fascinating subjects I have ever delved into! :D :D :)