Anatomy question... swallow something

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lippincott

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Stand in front of a mirror with your neck turned slightly so you can see the left side of your neck (seems to be more apparent on my left side), then swallow some fluid, and you'll see what looks like a thin muscle bulge transiently going from a space intermediate between the angle of your jaw and your chin to what looks like the middle of your clavicle.

What muscle is that? The omohyoid? Anterior scalene?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Lippincott said:
Stand in front of a mirror with your neck turned slightly so you can see the left side of your neck (seems to be more apparent on my left side), then swallow some fluid, and you'll see what looks like a thin muscle bulge transiently going from a space intermediate between the angle of your jaw and your chin to what looks like the middle of your clavicle.

Thanks.

I'm not exactly sure with your description but it sounds like sternocleoidemastoid

I'd say clavicular head of SCM. Ant. Scalene too deep and digastric probably not.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lippincott said:

Thanks.

I'm guessing Platysma. SCM originates too far dorsally and isn't flat and thin. It's kinda deep too. The platysma on the other hand is very superficial.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/wnor/posttriroof.jpg

ToxicFugu said:
I'm guessing Platysma. SCM originates too far dorsally and isn't flat and thin. It's kinda deep too. The platysma on the other hand is very superficial.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/wnor/posttriroof.jpg

No way that is the platysma, first off the muscle has no head and doesn't bluge at any particular point, and is way to large (covers too mch area). SCM does attach dorsally obviously to the mastoid process but since it has sternal and clavicular insertions it clearly runs anteriorly. The SCM is the really the only muscle that can be seen bulging in that region, seen all the time.

Maybe it's a tumor...

It's not a tumor...

Lippincott said:

Thanks.
Sounds like you're exposing your thyroid gland. In fact, swallowing water is exaclty what they do before clear thyroid palpation is possible.

Lippincott said:

Thanks.

Probably omohyoid. Try staring at your reflection and opening your mouth quickly a few times. If you're very thin, you may see it jump out on both sides.

BaylorGuy said:
It's not a tumor...

Arnold Schwarzenegger, Kindergarten Cop.

Another vote for thyroid

yposhelley said:
Arnold Schwarzenegger, Kindergarten Cop.

Lol. You beat me to it.

"It's not a toooma!"

I'm rust on anatomy, but I believe it might be the sternal head of the SCM

I actually tried swallowing water in front of the mirror, and I didn't see anything noteworthy.

For the sake of variety: Jugular venous distension secondary to rt. heart failure.

Callogician said:
I actually tried swallowing water in front of the mirror, and I didn't see anything noteworthy.

For the sake of variety: Jugular venous distension secondary to rt. heart failure.

Yeah, I wondered about the external jugular vein, too, but I'm guessing the OP can tell the difference between a muscle and a vein.

Highly doubt that it's JVP but you coulf test it anyway.

JVP
is pulsatile but not palpabe, fills from above and increase when you press the lower border of the liver hepatojugular reflux, also it decrease on inspiration. Have fun!!

It's fibers of the platysma. I can see the same thing when doing a really straining smile.

:) The lack of unanimity on this thread makes me wonder how frustrated patients must feel when they go for second and third opinions and keep hearing totally different diagnoses and prognoses. A big part of medicine remains an art still. My vote for SCM for what it's worth.

In all honesty we can't really tell from a description you need to see the thing in real life for something like this.

Omohyoid. If you don't believe me, just cut your nerve to omohyoid (ansa cervicalis) and try swallowing. Mind your vagus and common carotid :laugh: