Anatomy Shelf exam review in one day

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HTxFrog

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, my final in anatomy is the NBME (shelf) exam, and I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on what the most high yield review book is. I bought the BRS, and it is looking kind of long right now considering I'm going to have about a day and a half to study. Has anyone used anything shorter that they thought was good?

Members don't see this ad.

I heard that the gross shelf is almost exclusively clinical. If that's true (a huge "if" - that's just a rumor I heard), you should be okay just reading the pink boxes in the BRS. If you have COA, the blue boxes would be good, too.

You didn't leave yourself much time so you gotta go high yield:

Study:
1) All the blue boxes in Big Moore
2) All the pink boxes in BRS
3) High yield topics (Cranial Nerves, brachial plexus, coronary arteries, myotomes, etc.)
4) I don't know if you have the embryo unit attached, but if so, better spend some time on that too.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, my final in anatomy is the NBME (shelf) exam, and I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on what the most high yield review book is. I bought the BRS, and it is looking kind of long right now considering I'm going to have about a day and a half to study. Has anyone used anything shorter that they thought was good?

I'm in the same boat, though not by choice, and was wondering the same thing. Our school goes straight from 3rd block tests into finals, so we have a whole day in between each final and the next one :rolleyes: I've found some local school websites to do practice questions, and will be going through the BRS also. Any other advice would be appreciated :)

Yeah, a lot of schools don't give you much time, because you should already know everything. So don't freak out. Just have confidence that you've already learned the material, and then go over clinicals and high-yield as per my post above. Any extra time should be spent on practice questions. The shelf isn't that bad.

One more piece of advice for this and all shelfs. Take 10 minutes to do the free USMLE sample questions that are available from the NBME, not sure the website. Usually one or two of the sample Q's shows up on every shelf.

I took the shelf about 1 month go. My recommendation is to look over the clinical correlations in BRS and do the comprehensive test in the back (it's like 100 or so questions). Then briefly review trouble spots.

I took the Anatomy shelf last year and had only 2 days to study for it. I read through BRS (skipping extremeties, which I had just done, and head and neck, which I hated and heard was relatively low yield) and did well on it. A lot of the questions were clinically relevant as mentioned above, but it really helps to read through all of BRS at least once if you can- you'll remember more than you think you will during the exam.

Good luck!

go through all of the blue boxes in moore. then do questions on the umich website. it is very clinical so if you have a good knowledge in physical exam skills then the test will be quite easy. if you are taking the embryo section just look over first aid.

anyone know the scoring scale for the NBME? I took it gross anatomy w/ embryo, our director only posted the total score so far. so i don't know my percentile. 650?