USMLE Anatomy textbook for Step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wavy Doctor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi based SDN community. I'm looking for advice on which textbook to use for learning anatomy, pls note, learning not reviewing.

I'm in my second semester (first year) of medical school in Sweden and would like to build a solid foundation for Step 1 anatomy. So far anatomy for us has mostly been about recognising structures but now entering a 4-week block of upper, lower limb & back which will require a bit more knowledge.

The school recommended book is 'Clinically Oriented Anatomy' by Moore but it won't be needed in any form to pass anatomy most likely. I'm currently leaning between this book and the somewhat shorter version 'Essential Clinical Anatomy'.

My question however is: are these two types of textbooks mentioned low-yield for Step 1? From what I've gathered Step 1 questions are mostly about clinical correlations...?

If so does anyone know a more suitable text which they might recommend?

As for other resources I will use dissections in school, Acland's videos, small swedish atlas, lecture slides. Also have access to Netter's atlas but not using it very much for various reasons.. Got First Aid as well.

warm regards

P.S. Pls note swedish curriculum places less emphasis than american on anatomy (my view) therefore I probably need a good textbook to get the same foundation

Members don't see this ad.

I've decided to go with ECA. Can't justify having a 1100+ pages anatomy book when there is so much else to study at the same time. Apparently the blue boxes aren't quite as good but should be able to supplement with COA blue boxes if needed.

As for future Step 1 review I might buy Clinical Vignettes Anatomy as per Phloston's recommendations to go alongside the standard Step 1 resources (QBs, FA et cet.)