Aug 14, 2016
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
I am deciding whether to take organic chemistry during the fall or anatomy and take the other course during the summer. Which one seemed more difficult to you in your opinion? I struggle with memorization a little bit and am also a student-athlete , so I will be missing some class due to travel. Thank you for your feedback!

To be MD

Med School Or Bust
7+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2011
Status
Medical Student
I am deciding whether to take organic chemistry during the fall or anatomy and take the other course during the summer. Which one seemed more difficult to you in your opinion? I struggle with memorization a little bit and am also a student-athlete , so I will be missing some class due to travel. Thank you for your feedback!
Anatomy is, for most people, 10x easier than organic.

- Anatomy = memorization
- Orgo = memorization + application

If I were you, I'd take both during the regular academic term; however, if you're going to do one over the summer, I strongly suggest anatomy.

Reactions: Matthew9Thirtyfive

Coltuna

2+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2015
Status
Medical Student
IMO, anatomy was much more memorization heavy. Getting into the lab to study was a MUST for anatomy at my school; however, I definitely spent more time outside of class on Organic. Overall, Organic was much more difficult.

aldol16

2+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2015
Status
Medical Student
It depends on your courseload and how you learn. Take the more difficult course during the semester with the lighter/easier courseload. If you like applications-based learning and synthesizing information, then organic would be your forte. If you, on the other hand, are better with memorization (as are most pre-meds I've seen), then anatomy would be easier for you.

Nov 2, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Orgo was harder, it also more important for you right now.

You'll need a strong base for Orgo 2, and it'll be on the MCAT.

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
Medical schools still have a bias against Organic in the summer

JustAPhD

Not a hummingbird expert
2+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2016
Ice Coast
Condensing a class like Orgo into a couple weeks during the summer is never a good idea.

summergirl

7+ Year Member
Feb 28, 2012
Status
Medical Student
Contrary to all the posts above me, I personally find anatomy 10 times harder than organic chemistry. At least orgo has some logics in it, anatomy is just pure memorization of random words. I would take orgo 3 times before taking anatomy again. Learning anatomy goes against every fiber in my body. If I see the words carpi ulnaris or carpi radialis again I will. freak. out.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Why do they have a bias against Organic Chemistry classes in the summer?

Ixacex

2+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2015
Status
Medical Student
I took both orgo1 and orgo2 this summer. You gotta practice, practice, practice...Understanding the concept is KEY. I got an A in both but I would not suggest taking it during the summer unless you had nothing but the class itself.

Ixacex

2+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2015
Status
Medical Student
i took both orgos during the summer and got an A but got a B in physics 1 and genchem2...will the orgo classes soften the blow on the Bs for those two classes?

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
i took both orgos during the summer and got an A but got a B in physics 1 and genchem2...will the orgo classes soften the blow on the Bs for those two classes?
Wont know until you apply. Did you take orgo summer at home institution?

Ixacex

2+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Wont know until you apply. Did you take orgo summer at home institution?
No sir, it was at my undergrad school. Also, can you elaborate on what you mean by until I apply?

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
No sir, it was at my undergrad school. Also, can you elaborate on what you mean by until I apply?
I meant I cant predict how any adcom will view it as in softening the blow. And it doesnt matter. These are the grades you have and cant change them, so go forward and dont worry about speculating

Reactions: Ixacex
May 5, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm in the same boat. Took Orgo 1 and 2 over the summer. It's not terribly difficult. Orgo 1 is what I like to call the language component- you learn to understand the chemistry. Orgo 2 is all mechanisms and things of that nature, what I call the mechanical component. Organic chemistry is a very interesting class if you give it a chance.