Anatomy vs organic chemisty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qsd_

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am deciding whether to take organic chemistry during the fall or anatomy and take the other course during the summer. Which one seemed more difficult to you in your opinion? I struggle with memorization a little bit and am also a student-athlete , so I will be missing some class due to travel. Thank you for your feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

I am deciding whether to take organic chemistry during the fall or anatomy and take the other course during the summer. Which one seemed more difficult to you in your opinion? I struggle with memorization a little bit and am also a student-athlete , so I will be missing some class due to travel. Thank you for your feedback!

Anatomy is, for most people, 10x easier than organic.

- Anatomy = memorization
- Orgo = memorization + application

If I were you, I'd take both during the regular academic term; however, if you're going to do one over the summer, I strongly suggest anatomy.

Reactions: 1 user
IMO, anatomy was much more memorization heavy. Getting into the lab to study was a MUST for anatomy at my school; however, I definitely spent more time outside of class on Organic. Overall, Organic was much more difficult.

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends on your courseload and how you learn. Take the more difficult course during the semester with the lighter/easier courseload. If you like applications-based learning and synthesizing information, then organic would be your forte. If you, on the other hand, are better with memorization (as are most pre-meds I've seen), then anatomy would be easier for you.

Orgo was harder, it also more important for you right now.

You'll need a strong base for Orgo 2, and it'll be on the MCAT.

Condensing a class like Orgo into a couple weeks during the summer is never a good idea.

Contrary to all the posts above me, I personally find anatomy 10 times harder than organic chemistry. At least orgo has some logics in it, anatomy is just pure memorization of random words. I would take orgo 3 times before taking anatomy again. Learning anatomy goes against every fiber in my body. If I see the words carpi ulnaris or carpi radialis again I will. freak. out.

Last edited:
I took both orgo1 and orgo2 this summer. You gotta practice, practice, practice...Understanding the concept is KEY. I got an A in both but I would not suggest taking it during the summer unless you had nothing but the class itself.

Medical schools still have a bias against Organic in the summer
i took both orgos during the summer and got an A but got a B in physics 1 and genchem2...will the orgo classes soften the blow on the Bs for those two classes?

I'm in the same boat. Took Orgo 1 and 2 over the summer. It's not terribly difficult. Orgo 1 is what I like to call the language component- you learn to understand the chemistry. Orgo 2 is all mechanisms and things of that nature, what I call the mechanical component. Organic chemistry is a very interesting class if you give it a chance.