Anatomy??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2CurlyGirl

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My academic advisor told me that I shouldn't worry about taking human anatomy to prepare for med school, and that that was a nursing class. Do you all agree?? Her explanation was that everything is done on a cellular level now in medical schools. But don't I need to know what a spleen IS before I look at it under a microscope??

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know how your college is, but at my old college anatomy was for pre-nursing, and pre- physician assistants only. I would advise you to not take that course. Instead, take a liberal arts course. You don't need to make every elective a science class.

Well. it's not a class you NEED for medical school. I think most med schools do have gross anatomy in the first year (or that's my belief anyways, correct me anybody if i'm wrong...). It's a fun class to take though; I had to do it for my major (physiology). If it's something you're interested in, definitely go for it.... But if it's something you just want to take because you're trying to prepare for med school.... well... it's not really necessary.

Members don't see this ad :)
Every medical school will have a couse in Gross Anatomy and a course in Microscopic Anatomy (most often referred to as Histology). You will see a spleen as well as look at spleen under the microscope in medical school. It isn't necessary to do this before hand but if you're interested in the taking the course then go for it.

I'd recommend staying away from anatomy as an undergrad.

You'll learn all the medicine you need to know in medical school. Use your college years to get an education. Take something interesting or fun, and don't worry about what classes you think med schools will want to see... the reality is that they'd be far more interested in your Ancient Persian Lit course than anatomy.

Good luck,
doepug (MS IV)

yes, completely agree with previous posters. The only regret I have from college is that I majored in biology, and missed out on some excellent classes from great professors who can teach you much more about life then science profs. I only learned this in my senior year after taking some honors humanities, religion, and philosophy classes. An "educated" person should be versed in all fields.:)

I agree with Carbon. If you're taking it just to have a better shot at med schools or if you think it's going to help you in med school, don't bother. You're better off taking something that genuinely interests you. Most of my electives ended up being English classes, and I'm so happy I went that route instead of taking a bunch of bio classes that didn't interest me.

I was a biology major and I did a concentration in vertebrate anatomy and physiology, so I took lots of anatomy classes (human and other) and absolutely loved them. I had to take the nursing human anatomy class as part of the concentration, and I thought it was one of the most pointless classes ever (all you tarheels-- stay away from biol 045!! you don't need it and it will bore you to tears!!). However I also took human anatomy/physiology through the Exercise and Sports Science Department, and absolutely loved it.

hehe-- my favorite a/p class was mostly based on squid. best class ever. :cool:

Wow. I'm signed up to take undergrad anatomy this fall. I'm an engineer and just filling out science requirements for med school at this point (have to take a min number of bio/chem credits). I thought taking it now would help out a little in med school.

I'm also signed up for microbio and genetics this fall and plan to take physiology and biochem in the spring. What do you guys recommend? I have to take 3 more bio's..... that's it.

take physiology!! (haha, i may be just a bit biased since that was my major) Seriously though, i felt like it really helped me on the bio section of the MCAT to have taken some physiology classes. :) Made the material a lot easier.

I agree with the above posters to not take it solely for the purpose of med school, but if it's required or you are interested, then by all means take it.

I was required by my applied biology major to take Human Anatomy & Physiology at my school. This was the A&P class for the biology majors, and it was mostly the pre-med and pre-optometry people. I personally loved that class. I think it'll be helpful later on. It was definitely not a joke class. And, the lab was pretty amazing. We checked out heart function from turtles and muscle from frogs. And, we actually had already dissected cadavers to look at and learn from (about 4 of them) for anatomy. Good experience.

Originally posted by mpp
Every medical school will have a couse in Gross Anatomy and a course in Microscopic Anatomy (most often referred to as Histology).

Not New Mexico, they got rid of it because they are trying to make only PCPs. Sux i you want to be a surgeon!