and behind door #3, a brand new car!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sandlot13

ER = love
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, an idea I am toying through my head.... My car is on its last leg, and as Ive found out this winter in Spokane, does NOT handle the snow well. A new car would be really nice/helpful to have over the next four years of med school, not to mention my car breaking down would be one less thing I have to worry about.

Is this anywhere near feasible to cover with student loans? Obviously I cant be working during school, so the only way to make payments is with loans. I first started to think about it and threw it aside because it sounded kind of over the top, but the more I mulled it over the more it started to make sense.

opinions? ideas? car choices? ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Not me, but a friend of mine started DMU Class of 2012 with a new car...he's paying for loans for med school. Even with the economy last year, he was able to get a 0% 3? (maybe 5?) year loan. You can't top that vs a used car, imho

You could always go modest...

grey%20maserati%20coupe.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
I would seriously look at pre-owned or corporate-owned vehicles. They can be much cheaper and often come with warranties. As corporate vehicles, they often have mostly highway miles and have been cared for rather well. As a med student, your budget will usually NOT be expanded for a brand-new vehicle. You are allotted funds for transportation, that includes gas, insurance, maintenance. But not a new car payment. Avoid rear-wheel drive and don't rely on four-wheel drive to get you through the snow. Front-wheel is probably all you need with a good set of tires.

There is a saying worth repeating: live like a doctor while you're in med school and you'll live like a student when you're a doctor.

Okay, an idea I am toying through my head.... My car is on its last leg, and as Ive found out this winter in Spokane, does NOT handle the snow well. A new car would be really nice/helpful to have over the next four years of med school, not to mention my car breaking down would be one less thing I have to worry about.

Is this anywhere near feasible to cover with student loans? Obviously I cant be working during school, so the only way to make payments is with loans. I first started to think about it and threw it aside because it sounded kind of over the top, but the more I mulled it over the more it started to make sense.

I brought up the idea of a new car for med school to my parents and my Dad told me he would buy me an ambulance so I could drive it and learn medicine too. He thought it was hilarious ...

I brought up the idea of a new car for med school to my parents and my Dad told me he would buy me an ambulance so I could drive it and learn medicine too. He thought it was hilarious ...

HAHA. Glad to know my Dad isnt the only one that thinks his stupid jokes are hilarious. :laugh:

On another note, I was really hoping this thread would be about the price is right.

I think it's possible. If you're going to be in a state with a very snowy winter, look at something with AWD. Maybe a Subaru Impreza or something of the like. You can find great deals on the used market these days. I think you can find student loans to cover these types of expenses.

So I live in Bellevue, and after my front wheel drive was stuck in my driveway (it is a 5 degree angle for God's sake!) for six days, I decided that I am getting a four wheel drive car this summer. I'm trying to find a summer job in Seattle, sell some **** on craigslist, and max out my subsidized loans, but I'd be interested to know how the other Yakima goers or other people who will have to brave the elements to pursue a career of "helping people :D" over the next four years will manage to get that Escalade on dubs or whatever floats your boat these days, just in order to get to the supermarket in the snow.

On another note, I was really hoping this thread would be about the price is right.
Haha, ya that was my inspiration for the thread title..... I wish I was on the price is right. Man I miss that show.....

Oh yes, Im assuming my dad will do approximatly the same thing to me, which is why I figured I would ask on here first and do some research on it, haha.

So I live in Bellevue, and after my front wheel drive was stuck in my driveway (it is a 5 degree angle for God's sake!) for six days, I decided that I am getting a four wheel drive car this summer. I'm trying to find a summer job in Seattle, sell some **** on craigslist, and max out my subsidized loans, but I'd be interested to know how the other Yakima goers or other people who will have to brave the elements to pursue a career of "helping people :D" over the next four years will manage to get that Escalade on dubs or whatever floats your boat these days, just in order to get to the supermarket in the snow.

ya, i'll be in yakima this next year, and while I know this year is abnormal, there is still been multiple days where it is impossible to get anywhere without AWD and snow tires. I guess I would just rather avoid that over the next four years.... getting stuck and shoveling for hours sucks..

currently I am looking in to the Subaru Impreza, as that seems to be a good bet for what im looking for ;)

I would seriously look at pre-owned or corporate-owned vehicles. They can be much cheaper and often come with warranties.
Ya, im definitely going to look into that as well..... I could care less if it is a NEW new car, as long as its a new car for me ;)

There is a saying worth repeating: live like a doctor while you're in med school and you'll live like a student when you're a doctor.

Great quote, and it is how I plan to live for sure..... only thing is, i gotta make sure I get to class!!!

I make a car payment, and insurance, every month with no income other than student loans.

I got the loan before school started though, and I had a job. You can't count loans as income for a loan application.

To anyone considering 4-wheel drive to get thru snow - unless you have a decent set of snow tires to go along with your 4WD/AWD car, you won't be able to stop or turn once you get up to speed. Ever notice that most of the vehicles you see off the road in a snowstorm are SUVs/trucks?

Front wheel drive + good snow tires > AWD/4WD + all-season tires.

Members don't see this ad :)
To anyone considering 4-wheel drive to get thru snow - unless you have a decent set of snow tires to go along with your 4WD/AWD car, you won't be able to stop or turn once you get up to speed. Ever notice that most of the vehicles you see off the road in a snowstorm are SUVs/trucks?

Only because people are idiots and think OHHHH MY YUKON HAS 4WD, I CAN GO 88 MPH DOWN THIS ICY SIDE STREET WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!

Only because people are idiots and think OHHHH MY YUKON HAS 4WD, I CAN GO 88 MPH DOWN THIS ICY SIDE STREET WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!

Very true. My point was more that front-wheel drive cars with the right tires are really no slouch in the snow...I wouldn't ditch a FWD car for a 4WD SUV that gets worse fuel economy, etc just because of poor snow performance. I'd try some snow tires first - my car is RWD, even, and with modern friction snow tires it does surprisingly well.

Very true. My point was more that front-wheel drive cars with the right tires are really no slouch in the snow...I wouldn't ditch a FWD car for a 4WD SUV that gets worse fuel economy, etc just because of poor snow performance. I'd try some snow tires first - my car is RWD, even, and with modern friction snow tires it does surprisingly well.

I agree! trust me, ive driven in snow a lot, problem is ever since Ive left the state my parents live in I have my old school toyota celica..... front wheel drive, yes, but not even NEAR enough clearance. I can usually get going, but even if I drive in the ruts of other people, i tend to PLOW everything in between, getting me stuck faster than a fat kid in a small waterslide. For sure though, tires are the key..... something about friction or whatever ;)

My fabulous nissan maxima has been over the continental divide in Colorado more times than I want to count - and I went by all those 4WD vehicles off the road, sitting on the shoulders, not able to go anywhere in my wonderful, front wheel drive vehicle equipped with all-season tires. Not even snow tires. Never once got stuck. Not once.

Now, I did get stuck here in Maine. After the ice storm I couldn't get out of my driveway. But no one could get out of their driveways. Other than that, haven't been stuck or off the road in Maine either. Not in three years (and that's not for lack of going anywhere after storms either!)

Thats certainly true, but although I curse my jeep's horrible fuel economy, it definitely kicks ass in the snow.

And that is what we tend to call, job security!! LOL (works whether you're in EMS, EM, Ortho, or just about anything that's remotely related). Seriously, consider a 2008 (now that it's the 2009 model year) they're cheaper, and also usually not many differences between a 2007 or 2008 and a 2009.

audis have a nice 4 wheel drive system.. just drove from NYC to Montreal on that thing without any problems.. beautiful car too.. .form and function my friends..

i'll be getting a new car as well.. makes more sense to finance and then sell it, than to just lease it and give it away after 3 years..

My fabulous nissan maxima has been over the continental divide in Colorado more times than I want to count - and I went by all those 4WD vehicles off the road, sitting on the shoulders, not able to go anywhere in my wonderful, front wheel drive vehicle equipped with all-season tires. Not even snow tires. Never once got stuck. Not once.

Now, I did get stuck here in Maine. After the ice storm I couldn't get out of my driveway. But no one could get out of their driveways. Other than that, haven't been stuck or off the road in Maine either. Not in three years (and that's not for lack of going anywhere after storms either!)

I think it has a lot with being a good driver too. ;) My mom had a maxima and plowed it into a snow bank once and then slid into a barrier a few weeks later. She DID have snow tires. So, it probably says more about your responsible driving than the car. :p

Now is a good time to look for a car if you have the income. Good luck. I like anything certified preowned. You can almost never go wrong with a certified preowned honda or toyota and usually nissan too. I've seen mixed responses with the american cars, although GM has a solid certification process.

I have an Accord Coupe 5 speed and I have no problems getting around in the snow. All you have know is don't apply the gas or brake when going around corners (I pop it into neutral and just coast easily around the corner) and give lots of room to slow down.

Bingo!!!

I'm in the same predicament as the OP and have been reading a lot about various cars performance in the snow...And the best investemt is indeed SNOW TIRES (not all season tires). FWD, AWD, even RWD can all handle the snow with snow tires.

As far as the car issue is concerned with the OP. Car companies are practically giving cars away and/or leasing them at next to nothing. I think taking out a 4-yeear lease might even be a good option. This way you never have to worry about maintenance issues--cuz it's taken care of by the dealership. And if there is an issue, you will otherwise be given a loaner car.

The last thing I would want is to either be stuck in the snow or waiting for the repair shop to fix by car while having to find alternative ways to get to class or a rotation. Let's face it. Med school is demanding, and stressing over transportation issues is the last thing a med student wants to deal with.

I noticed, here in Denver, Subaru is leasing the new Impreza (AWD w manual tranny) for next-to-nothing/month. Good luck!!

I'm thinking about buying a new car for med school also. I have 6 months to earn some money to help off set the cost. then I plan on using my school loans to pay off the rest. you can get a new 2009 toyota corolla for about 15 grand in my area.

ya, the more i look the more i like the idea of a nice Subaru or something functional along those lines. I dont need a big truck or SUV, just a car that fits me well.....

honestly, i really am more worried about convincing my dad it's a smart investment than the actual paying off of the car haha..... ah the power of parental guidance.... ;)

There are a lot of auctioned cars. They are usually in a good shape and cheep. I would recommend you buying somthing from ur saving like for $1,500-2000 rather than worrying about payments.
Good luck:thumbup:

Except the cost of those snow tires and all the hassle probably equals the difference in price with gas prices. I drive an SUV with about a 19 gallon tank and get nearly 380 miles per tank. If not a little more. I just don't drive like a douchebag. I've driven from Florida to Indiana and back with a Prius and a Highlander. The total difference in cost might've been about 20 bucks in gas over that 1200+ miles. With city driving, I do lots and lots of coasting and adjusting speed so I never come to a full stop. I don't care what people behind me think. I probably saved about 200 dollars over the past year by doing little things.

If you get a good set of snow tires then you can still be set back 300 or 400 bucks. I've driven rear wheel, front wheel and four wheel. Four wheel is much easier with all held equal, but if you don't drive like an arse they are all doable. Now, the Cadillac CTS-V, Corvette Z06 and the Viper were all a bit stressful with so much HP to push you along. Its hard enough on dry pavement to not peel out with those type of cars though.

Another possibility to consider is riding it out with what you have for the first two years and get a new car to last through rotations and residency. You're not likely to be doing a ton of driving first and second year, and it will bide you time to save for a better down payment and to also gauge whether a car payment is feasible for your situation

I'd have to say no to that.
Snowmachine/mobile > everything

So I talked to my dad tonight..... phew! He actually didnt shoot the idea down at all. Thought it was smart to think of it ahead of time and agreed that a reliable car in the med school situation is definitely a good thing.... Cept now I have to do all the research haha :) no biggie, im good at researching things...... so the quest begins on IF this is possible for me to do, how feasible it is, and what kind of car.

it could be a long road ahead of me.... but then again, there is nothing like driving the long road in a new car

soooooo, finding out that this whole buying a car thing is kinda complicated...... it doesnt help that im trying to figure in paying with student loans eventually.

My biggest problem is figuring out the whole financing part..... i can research and find cars all day long with no problems, but the money side of this is where i get confused.... good thing i wasnt a business major!

Do you have a job now? The only way to get a loan without a job I imagine would be to have a co-signer (parents) go with you. To be honest I am not even sure that you could get a loan (even with co-signer) without a job.

I too am worried about the same thing you are going through because my current car is older and def. not going to be easily driven on snow(very low to the ground). Luckily I'm not applying until this upcoming cycle so I will worry about that after I'm accepted :xf:. I am eager to hear how all of this turns out for you!!! Good Luck!

I put in some time yesterday and am getting a better grasp on what I need to do to get this thing rolling....

I currently do have a job, which will help me secure the loan initally..... I just have to time it right so that I get my car close to when I get my student loan money for school so I dont blow my entire savings on monthly payments.

The key will be whether or not I need my parents to co-sign so I can lock in a low APR for financing..... Either way I'll make it work

HAHA. Glad to know my Dad isnt the only one that thinks his stupid jokes are hilarious. :laugh:

1. We parents do the stupid joke thing (in front of a gf or bf? even better!) to get you back for potty training...

2. I was, too! Ah, well. I agree about getting a low milage used car (3 years or less). And if it isn't under warrantee, go ahead and buy a 100,000 mile one. You'll get a much nicer car that will do the job for much less than a new one. That's what we do - and dude, I drive a nice car. :love:

That's what we do - and dude, I drive a nice car. :love:

hahaha, k, i'll take your word for it ;)

not looking to drive a BMW per-say, but i am starting to drool over those Subaru Impreza WRX's!!!! :D:cool:

I've got a Subaru Impreza!!

...a 1995 Subaru Impreza. :rolleyes:

qft, do your homework and get great snow tires, if snow is that big of a deal for you

The only way to get a loan without a job I imagine would be to have a co-signer (parents) go with you. To be honest I am not even sure that you could get a loan (even with co-signer) without a job.

I sold cars at one point, you can 100% get a loan with a co-signer, if you don't have a job. Well of course you want your co-signer to make more than 5/hr and have decent credit. If your cosigner is financially overextended, based on income and current debt load they carry then it could be a problem. If you have an active bankruptcy or the like then a co-signer will not help you either.

Generally credit unions will offer you the best rates on auto loans, dealing with finance managers at dealers should be avoided at all costs their rates are often unfair. Credit unions have some stipulations on the age and mileage of vehicles they will finance, usually around 10 years old and 100k miles is the max. Also you need to be a member of the credit union, often you can just make a 50 dollar deposit and open a checking account to become a member.

Also, buying new is dumb. If you do buy new and they offer one of the 0% financing or say 4k cash back dealios. Always take the cash back, it is smarter financially.

Dont buy a new car, thats dumb. Depreciates right as you drive it off the lot. Terrrrrrible investment.

oh, i dont plan on buying a "new" new car..... just a new car for me ;)

thanks for the advice on the financing part. im pretty much set for a co-signer with my parents, so it's now just about researching the vehicals, taking a few test drives, and then finding that one special automobile

That inequality is just plain false, and it depends on the all-season radials you choose. Blanket statements like this aren't useful at all, imo.

AWD Impreza WRX with ASR's vs my VW GTI with snows is no contest.

i want the new audi A4
but i am no where near close to being able to afford it :-/

Just be like Rudy when he lived in the janitor's locker room at Notre Dame. You could sleep on one of the OMM tables. No need to drive to school any longer, and maybe you get a movie made out of it. Then you could pay for a new car through all of the royalties you'll get.