and now for a completely pathetic thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Megalofyia

425 lbs and growing
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So somewhere I remember someone talking about the chances of someone getting into a med school if they had no acceptances but had so many waitlists. I was wondering what the opinion on that was; how many waitlists makes for a good chance of an acceptance somewhere?

Members don't see this ad.

I am not sure what a guarantee number of waitlists to acceptance, but I have heard that being on four is pretty good. I heard you basically have a 30% chance of getting off each and 4 makes it very likely. I am currently on six wait lists and stuck in the same situation as you, no acceptances. I am very frustrated but I am hanging in there.

Depends on where you are holding waitlist spots. A drexel waitlist is pretty good chance on acceptance given that they accept 800 for a class of around 200.

Members don't see this ad :)
pekq said:
Depends on where you are holding waitlist spots. A drexel waitlist is pretty good chance on acceptance given that they accept 800 for a class of around 200.

Drexel is many people's back up school. I think that half of each of their classes come from the waitlist. Meaning that most people that got straight up acceptances from them decided to go elsewhere and mostly desparate people on the waitlist have to go there.

The waitlists I'm concerned with are Creighton, Wake Forest, Drexel, DMU, and AZCOM.

Megalofyia said:
The waitlists I'm concerned with are Creighton, Wake Forest, Drexel, DMU, and AZCOM.

I'd say you'd get in somewhere for sure. If not, sorry for jinxing you. ;)

Any guesses on what is going to happen with me. I really would love to hear. I am on wait lists at Jefferson (high priority), Case, Cleveland Clinic, Neoucom, Cinnci, and Wright State. Any predictions?

W222 said:
Any guesses on what is going to happen with me. I really would love to hear. I am on wait lists at Jefferson (high priority), Case, Cleveland Clinic, Neoucom, Cinnci, and Wright State. Any predictions?

I think you should start writing letters of intent and interest if you haven't already done so yet, especially to the lower ranked schools on your list. Those schools might just pass you over because they believe you'll go elsewhere like Case or JEFFERSON (write that LOI) :idea: .

pekq said:
I think you should start writing letters of intent and interest if you haven't already done so yet, especially to the lower ranked schools on your list. Those schools might just pass you over because they believe you'll go elsewhere like Case or JEFFERSON (write that LOI) :idea: .

Hey Mega,

I think this is good advice about the intent letters. I'm sure you'll get into one of these school, and the waitllists do move pretty quick after May 15. I am going to release Drexel (it is so hard to release a school ... ) before the 15th and I am sure as the summer moves in plenty of other people will start doing the musical chairs thing. I'm rootin' for you! :)

Oh dont' worry! I am def writing letters of intent :)

Heh.. funny you ask... just at a Carribiean school.. but technically it IS an acceptance. ;)

Megalofyia said:
Heh.. funny you ask... just at a Carribiean school.. but technically it IS an acceptance. ;)

Yes, it is. I love the Carribean. With all those lists, you won't end up going there though I'm sure of it. :luck: :luck:

Look for a spot at AZCOM to open up (MD/not the DO)

Good Luck!!!!

W222 said:
I'm on waitlists at UCI, UCSD, Tulane, and WashU. I interviewed at Einstein too but they said they wouldnt get back to me until June at the earliest, so it's certainly about the same situation.

I've been writing letters of interests (first an update, then e-mails to my interviewers, and soon I'll send in another update to each) and probably an intent letter to UCSD. I'm thinking I have a pretty good shot at Tulane, then UCI, UCSD, and Einstein in decreasing chances. I doubt I'll get anything from WashU just because they have so many on the waitlist and only expect to take about 50 people.

Good luck to everyone!

scrappydawg said:
Look for a spot at AZCOM to open up (MD/not the DO)

Good Luck!!!!
Unfortunatly the AZCOM I talk of is a DO school not the MD one.