And so... I pushed my test back. Advice welcome.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wings4Marie

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well to make a long story short, I've been studying a while for this thing and my goal is to get 220 minimum. I would be VERY happy with this score. Actually very VERY Very happy!

The deal is, my last NBME said 210. I know it's close, but I truly want to be in some sort of safety zone. So I've decided to push my test back about 3.5 weeks, and just figure out exactly what I'm doing wrong and try to master all my weaknesses.

Any comments, criticisms, concerns, are more than welcome :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

Well to make a long story short, I've been studying a while for this thing and my goal is to get 220 minimum. I would be VERY happy with this score. Actually very VERY Very happy!

The deal is, my last NBME said 210. I know it's close, but I truly want to be in some sort of safety zone. So I've decided to push my test back about 3.5 weeks, and just figure out exactly what I'm doing wrong and try to master all my weaknesses.

Any comments, criticisms, concerns, are more than welcome :rolleyes:
It's a tough one to prepare for. I envy your position. I am a few weeks away, and I have no idea other than qbank and usmleworld as far as scores. I am only hitting the 200 range (guessing). Not sure if I should postpone. I have improved, but not enough yet. just an average student trying to hit the mean, so I have a ways to go. I am almost to the point of taking my 1st nbme, another week or so.

How did you decide on how much time to move it back?

^^^ hey man, listen I was exactly in your shoes until I took the NBME. I was rocking Q bank and I didnt even want to take the NBME, because I knew it would destroy my confidence..

The NBME is not easy... I kept seeing tons of molecular bio and histology questions that I had no idea about. I was good with Path because of Goljian, but the test is waay more than path. I need to solidify some basics that I haven't seen for like 2 years... even more than that, I havent seen Meiosis, and Anaphase and crap like that since high school!!

in summary.. everyone needs to take the NBME. I think Im going to go order HY Molec as well.

Also, every Gen Surgery program I want to get into says get a 220 and your chances of getting in will skyrocket!

^^^ hey man, listen I was exactly in your shoes until I took the NBME. I was rocking Q bank and I didnt even want to take the NBME, because I knew it would destroy my confidence..

The NBME is not easy... I kept seeing tons of molecular bio and histology questions that I had no idea about. I was good with Path because of Goljian, but the test is waay more than path. I need to solidify some basics that I haven't seen for like 2 years... even more than that, I havent seen Meiosis, and Anaphase and crap like that since high school!!

in summary.. everyone needs to take the NBME. I think Im going to go order HY Molec as well.

Also, every Gen Surgery program I want to get into says get a 220 and your chances of getting in will skyrocket!
so 3 weeks of HY molecular, huh? sounds like fun. i hate that crap. Not an enzymologist or a detailiologist either. the bigger picture matters much more to me. That's why I think I'll be all right on this exam, I like the big picture and tying together concepts. I should probably get that HY molecular book, but it will probably just sit and collect dust like the other ones I wasted good jack on. Could've used that money for something better, but oh well. Keep on keepin' on with the study game. I'll do the same.

Members don't see this ad :)
best of luck

i recall dudek makin a post about histopathy .. perhaps that tied in with HY cellular and molecular will aid in your endeavor.

thanks guys :thumbup:

It seems the boards are obsessed with the little picture more than the big picture :(