And the hits keep coming. . .

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

racerx

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yet another dis-incentive by the feds for entering primary care. Pennywise and pound foolish decisions are being made at the ultimate expense of the patients. (seriously, no pun intended)

http://www.aafp.org/online/en/home/...ow/government-medicine/20080522hpsasmuas.html

I was hoping to use the NHSC loan repayment program, and be able to become an FM doc. Seems like for all the lip service the feds pay to needing increased primary care, their actions say otherwise.

You can bet with the new methodology will not affect the urban areas nearly as much as the rural areas. After all, politicians have a more "vote-dense" environmentin the cities. Screw the rural folks, their votes don't carry as much weight. [/end rant]

Members don't see this ad.

I was intending to try for the NHSC Scholarship program, but, between this and the DNP programs springing up all over the place, I've got no faith in primary care being a viable choice for an MD or DO in eight years. Family medicine is my preference, but I'm not willing to sign a contract making that decision now that doesn't come to fruition for eight years. If things look better on the other side of med school, I'll probably still go for FM with an OB fellowship, but if DNP's are saturating primary care, I won't. The school I work as a research tech for is one of the schools that is enrolling DNP students this summer. I'm pretty much disgusted by the entire situation right now. I've had friends that were nursing majors intending to actually be nurses that have decided to go into that program. I can barely talk to them without getting upset.

I've got a bad feeling that DNP's will eventually be given independent practice rights without a physician collaborator nationally. I'm wondering if the insurance companies are going to offer tiered copaywhen that happens...along the lines of DNP:Generic::MD/DO:Brand.

I was intending to try for the NHSC Scholarship program, but, between this and the DNP programs springing up all over the place, I've got no faith in primary care being a viable choice for an MD or DO in eight years. Family medicine is my preference, but I'm not willing to sign a contract making that decision now that doesn't come to fruition for eight years. If things look better on the other side of med school, I'll probably still go for FM with an OB fellowship, but if DNP's are saturating primary care, I won't. The school I work as a research tech for is one of the schools that is enrolling DNP students this summer. I'm pretty much disgusted by the entire situation right now. I've had friends that were nursing majors intending to actually be nurses that have decided to go into that program. I can barely talk to them without getting upset.

I've got a bad feeling that DNP's will eventually be given independent practice rights without a physician collaborator nationally. I'm wondering if the insurance companies are going to offer tiered copaywhen that happens...along the lines of DNP:Generic::MD/DO:Brand.

actually screw patient care in general, cardiac caths weigh SIGNIFICANTLY more heavily than 80 or 90 year old patients in nursing homes.
People just do not care, and that is sad and pathetic.
I dont know about you, but this picture is certainly not why I entered medicine, to support the way that things are going, its pitiful.