And the oldest Dentist/Career Changer is...Who?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

helpfuldoc2b

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
And the oldest Dentist/Career Changer is...Who? Just wondering who left a job at a later age and a good salary and started dentistry at a later than normal age.

Members don't see this ad.

I was a HS teacher for 10 years then went back to do pre-reqs. I am applying this cycle at the ripe old age of 34. I'm sure I'm not the oldest on here tho...well I hope I'm not! :)
Scott

I was a HS teacher for 10 years then went back to do pre-reqs. I am applying this cycle at the ripe old age of 34. I'm sure I'm not the oldest on here tho...well I hope I'm not! :)
Scott

we havea guy at our school who was 43 when he started

Members don't see this ad :)
Oldest person in our class is 52.

ha, i got you all beat. there is this guy in my class that started at 53.

how old is the youngest person in your class?:)
I am a foreign dentist, and in my home country you dunt have to go through college, so you go to D school right after high school.the youngest in my class was 17,most students are 18-19 including me.

I was an RN for 10 years before I started but at 31 I was far from the oldest in the class.

We have one girl in our who started at 18. She said she should have been graduating High School that year. She even had time to get a chemical engineering degree (I think that was it). She is a smart cookie.

there was a 45, 41, 39, 37, 35, 35, 33, 32, 32, 31, 31, 30, 30, 30, 29

couple in late 20's when we started, I was 33

youngest was 20--two actually

most 21-27

actually, it seems patients take an older looking dentist more seriously, easier tx
acceptance, etc=more advantage actually;

the young looking one do have a problems in this area
although they may be more skilled and proficient

Did anyone notice this? there is a false perception out there that: older=experienced=knowledge=wisdom

although this is not the case at all

When I started, the youngest in my class was 19... the 2 oldest guys are 39 and 45 (after these 2, there is a huge drop, 3rd oldest is 31).

Is it possible to go to D school at 19 in US?Isnt 3-4 years of college mandatory before D school here?Though I was 18 when i was in D school , but that was the case with most people in my class, as they joined in right after high school.

There was a girl who was doing the 3+4 program at my University through the UTHSCSA. She was 16 when she finished high school and finished her prereqs and other courses through the early admission program in 3 years, and was 19 when she started dental school last summer.

My old man used to be a highschool teacher, stated dental school when he was..err
40?41? Not quit sure...somewhere around there

I started when I was 18.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was 31 when I started, and will be 41 when I finish residency. Did two enlistments USMC before d-school.

Alright, I guess I'll throw my hat in on this one! I am 35 and will be starting D-school this summer. My previous "career" was working in masonry as a hod carrier (which I still do during the summers). I also spent a lot of time working in lumber companies (on the green chain), and before that... fast food :eek: . Needless to say, I am excited to get started with my dental career :D

Good luck man.
Got kids?
It's gonna be pressure :)

I started d school at age 34. I was one of three 34 year olds in my class. Everyone else was younger.

The good thing about being "old" and being married and having kids and a career already is that you (for the most part) have gotten really good at managing time and dealing with pressure. Well, I'm at least hoping that some of that is true anyway...it's the line I use to explain to family why the heck I'm changing my career so late in the game! :D

MsPurtell - I think maybe you are my new idol! :love: I will be about your age when I (hopefully) start d-school. If I may, were you married with kid(s)? I'm just curious about how much trauma - for lack of a better word - your family experienced with mom/wife being the one going to school instead of the other way around. And do you regret it at all? Not to hijack, of course - you can PM me if you have insight and feel that it's a better venue for it. I'm just curious.

Thanks a lot!

It's a sacrifice...everyone in the family is going to have to do it...for a better standard of living later on.

Don't neglect the kiddies though;)

actually, it seems patients take an older looking dentist more seriously, easier tx
acceptance, etc=more advantage actually;

the young looking one do have a problems in this area
although they may be more skilled and proficient

Did anyone notice this? there is a false perception out there that: older=experienced=knowledge=wisdom

although this is not the case at all

I think this may be true to some degree, but knowledge, confidence and a professional manner can carry more weight than age. I think going to college right after high school and then immediately on to dental school has a big advantage. Since all you've ever known is school and studying, it's easy for most to pass on, to transition, to the next level of education in a very compliant way. Most students don't get a lot of respect from professors and are use to that to some degree. Dental school, although more rigorous and demanding, is an extension of their previous academic experience. College and, especially, dental school are not "have it your way" kind of experiences for most of us. ;) If you've been out of school for some time and are use to a certain amount of respect and autonomy plus have other personal/economic demands, it may be harder, but not necessarily, to adjust to being in school again. But, if you really want something, it can all work out. Being older, has it's advantages too. Good Luck to All:luck:

godbless, my parents are dentists in a diff. country, and they dont have to go to undergrad or anything, jus straight to dental school after high school, and my dad was a dentist by age 21 :cool:

Good luck man.
Got kids?
It's gonna be pressure :)

Yes, I have two kids who do not live with me (almost 18 and 17 years old), and my girlfriend (who is just finishing her 1st year of dental hygiene school)of almost 9 years has twin 14 year old daughters who live with us. I think it is an advantage having kids this age. We make a great team and pick up the slack for each other when needed! I think it would be a lot tougher going through dental school with toddlers, or even grade school-aged kids.

Heh yea it is.
I was about..5 , my sister 6 , when my dad started.

I started dental school at 34 w/3 kids and not a lot of help at home. It was especially tough my first year, since our modular system is jam packed w/basic science classes so we can get boards out of the way after our first year. 2nd year has been a lot easier and I hear third year will be much better when all you do pretty much is clinical dentistry. My youngest is in kindergarten this year and my oldest about to graduate high school. I'm thankful I made the decision to leave a decent paying job/career for dentistry, I wouldn't want it any other way. There are either 5 or 6 older in my class w/our 3 eldest turning 40 this year already. Good luck to all who are thinking of switching or are in the process of applying for dental school, you'll find it a rewarding experience. Feel free to PM me for additional questions.

I started Dschol at 31; man....I sure regret it

Well, it seems I am the oldest of the current SDN posters. I am 36 and starting dschool in July. I also have children, 4 to be exact, 10,12,14,& 15, and my girlfriend has a 7 year old. Talk about pressure, the money is definitely my biggest issue. I did things a little differently, I didn't start my college career until I was 31, working full-time and taking a full load. I think I can deal with the work its the money thing that worries me, but I've made it this far, I guess I'll figure something out.

Well, it seems I am the oldest of the current SDN posters. I am 36 and starting dschool in July. I also have children, 4 to be exact, 10,12,14,& 15, and my girlfriend has a 7 year old. Talk about pressure, the money is definitely my biggest issue. I did things a little differently, I didn't start my college career until I was 31, working full-time and taking a full load. I think I can deal with the work its the money thing that worries me, but I've made it this far, I guess I'll figure something out.

OMG. :bow: Good luck!

Just make sure you have good credit, you're going to need it when having to take those "extra" loans out.

What do you regret exactly and why?

Dentistry can be frustrating at times and when I applied to Dschool I was making very decent money in a field that I wasn't crazy about but it payed the bills. Now, I doubt whether leaving a modest life and have all the time in the world with my wife and kid is worth sacrifying for pursuing dentistry. I also miss my hometown and friends that I left for coming to LA :(

I'm 31, married with 4 boys (ages 12, 9, 7, 5).

It's tough to balance school and family, but it can be done (especially if you're not planning on getting the grades to specialize).

I wish I had gotten into a school in a smaller town for the sake of my family, but no such luck. Four years isn't terribly long.

I'm 31, married with 4 boys (ages 12, 9, 7, 5).

It's tough to balance school and family, but it can be done (especially if you're not planning on getting the grades to specialize).

I wish I had gotten into a school in a smaller town for the sake of my family, but no such luck. Four years isn't terribly long.

Wow, how are you affording everything with your current situation. Does your wife make bank or how are you affording 4 kids and a wife with such a high tuition university in a high cost of living area!

Dentistry can be frustrating at times and when I applied to Dschool I was making very decent money in a field that I wasn't crazy about but it payed the bills. Now, I doubt whether leaving a modest life and have all the time in the world with my wife and kid is worth sacrifying for pursuing dentistry. I also miss my hometown and friends that I left for coming to LA :(

Where do you live now and what did you do before dental school. You sound regretting going to dental school, why is that?