and your source of inspiration is...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lumanyika

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey people,
I was trying to read some stuff in the library,but I felt as if most of the the material was recocheting off my cranium...

Anyway,what I want to ask you is what makes you want to go on even if the odds(at times)seem against you? what song,what poem,what saying,what...painting...anything at all that offers a glimpse of the light at the end of the long tunnel.

I, for one at times feel like saying enough is enough,but I cannot explain what makes me go on.I guess Pascal was right when he said "the heart has reasons that reason doesn't know"

------------------
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN,MUCH IS EXPECTED.

Members don't see this ad.

Every time I've felt like giving up, and every time I've felt as if it were hopeless, I remind myself that:

A) I am SO lucky to be in college at all, and no matter what happens, it is my responsibility to get the most out of it.

B) I went to college to become a doctor, and I still want to be a doctor (even after lo these many years). If I were to give up now, believing that there is no hope for me, I would never know for sure. And nothing sucks like regret for what was not done.

C) If I'm not doing well in a subject, or I'm just generally burned out, the best way to deal with it is as a challenge and an opportunity for personal growth. I am in college not just to prepare to become a doctor, or to learn a set of subjects. I am in college to learn what I am made of, and to push those frontiers.

And if all else fails, I listen to PJ Harvey really loud and pretend I'm a rock star.

Hope this helps.

Nanon

[This message has been edited by Nanon (edited 12-04-2000).]

Usually when I get discouraged, it is because of someone trying to tear down my confidence by telling me to give up and do something easier. To them I offer this quote: "It is not the critic who counts. The credit actually belongs to the man in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood...who at best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at worst, if he fails, fails while daring greatly, so that his place will never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat." --Theodore Roosevelt.
Also my personal favorite is: "If you believe you can or if you believe you can't, either way you are right." --Author Unknown.
If that doesn't help, I recommend that you take a night, go out with friends, have a few beers and remember that life can be fun as well as work. Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a little plaque that I bought myself when I was 16 and got kicked out of the house. It's hung on the wall near my bed ever since, and I have read it many times. And yes, it does help me. It has a picture of an eagle with it's wings spread flying over a canyon, and it has this poem on it:

Believe in yourself

success is failure turned inside out
the silver tint of the clouds of doubt
You can never tell how close you are.
It may be near when it seems so far;
stick to the fight when you're hardest hit
It's when things seem worst
that you must not quit.

-Bradley Tyler

I'll be starting med school next fall
smile.gif

I think of this...waht I hope will be my future:

Waking up every morning. Looking in the mirror. Saying to myself "I help people. I will now go to work and see people who are sick, in pain, and have lost hope. I will cure their illness, alleviate their pain, and be that confident support they need to get well. I will give them back that hope. I am a doctor."

If medicine is what you want, thinking of the aid you can give to people is enough inspiration to study ANYTHING.

I have dealt with the sick and knowing that someday I will be able to help them in so many ways, not just with my knowledge, but with my hands and my heart...that is enough for me.

Best of luck to you!

------------------
Joshua Paul Hazelton, CNA, EMT-B
[email protected]
University of the Sciences in Philadelphia (2002)
"D.O. Wannabe"

Okay, I know it's kind of cheesy, but having been an English major, I tend to turn to some tried and true favorite novels to boost my spirits, such as "The Power of One" and "The Little Prince." Highly recommend both of them if you haven't read them before...

"I believe I can fly ,
I believe I can touch the sky,
I dream about it every night and day,
Spread my wings and fly away..."

I have thought about this often, and I think it would really be helpful if I had some kind of conflict. As it stands now, everyone I know supports me in my career choice. They never doubt me; they never question me; they never consider the possibility that I might fail. They all believe I would make the perfect doctor. While I am thankful for all the encouragement, it is not really a great source of inspiration. What I need is someone to tell me that I can't do it, so I can prove them wrong. All right. Let's go people. Tell me I will fail.

KMorris3:

I agree with you in a way.

I had teachers in high school who said "Go for it..you can do it!"

I had others who said: "Well, male Nurses make alot of money, too."

I remember people in my high school, fellow students, who laughed when I told them: "At our 10 year reunion, I will be a doctor."
In fact, I can remember one instance during sophomore year in high school that I made a wager with 5 of my friends...$50.00 each...that I would someday become a doctor.

Out of all my graduating class in high school (198), I am only one of two people who had aspirations of medical school (eventhough I originally enrolled as a health sciences (Phys Asst) major). The other girl who went premed...I'm not sure how she is doing.

It would be kinda cool to be the only doctor in my whole class.

And..KMorris....if you need someone to tell you that you can't do it....despite the fact that I am always encouraging....I will help you.

[The following is intended for entertainment purposes only]

KMorris..."You can't do it. I can't wait to see your face when those rejection letters come in the mail. I LOVE the fact that you are applying because it makes my application look so much better. You are exactly the person I want to take classes with...you help the curve!!!!"

Is that ok??
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

------------------
Joshua Paul Hazelton, CNA, EMT-B
[email protected]
University of the Sciences in Philadelphia (2002)
"D.O. Wannabe"

KMorris,

YOU STINK!!!!!
YOU ARE AS DUMB AS A ROCK!!!!
YOU WILL NEVER BE A DOCTOR!!!!!
WHY DON'T YOU QUIT NOW!!!!!!

Hope this helps.....you loser.

Here goes,

You have heard the cliche "You only live once." I want all of you to think about this statement for about 5 minutes and get deeper than the words. Realize that as every day passes, you are getting closer to the end of your life. Realize that you only get one walk in the forest, one ride on the roller coaster.

Life is grouped into chunks such as childhood, pre-teen, teenager, young adult, adult, middle aged, and old age. All of these are comprised of years, years are comprised of months, months are made of weeks, and weeks are made of days. Your life is what you do every day. I worked in a factory unloading trucks for over ten years......then I realized, "this is my life." Whatever you do on a daily basis will become your life.

In order to change your life or make something of your life, you need to organize your days. In other words, set a goal and strive for it on a daily basis.

You can say, "I am going to be a doctor in ten years." How do you accomplish that? We have all witnessed first hand the failures of many a pre-med student due to low grades. What you do is enroll in the required classes and start working on that class or classes. When "Everybody Loves Raymond" comes on, you can watch TV or study for your Micro test that is coming up.

You can only control what happens at this very moment, and your decision as to what you will do in that moment controls your future. You are what you want to be. You can accomplish anything that is in front of you; all you have to do is get your goals set, and work on them daily.

Life is a long continuous string of days, and what you do every day is your life. No matter how old you are, your life is the part of the string that is in front of you. Make of it what you will.

[This message has been edited by wooo (edited 12-07-2000).]

Whenever the homework is stacked high, and the coffee has yet to kick in, I remember what it was like to make a night jump out of a C-130 with a 125 lb rucksack strapped to my legs followed by weeks of patrolling in the jungle.
Suddenly the hot cup of coffee in my hand seems like an extravagant luxury and I am quite happy to sit in a heated room with the only incredibly heavy thing I have to lift is my biology book!

------------------
Walking is man's best medicine.
-Hippocrates

Thank you to those who have ridiculed me, told me I will fail, and called me a "loser," among other things. It's nice to know that there are people in this world that will put you down when the need arises. You guys are the best!

Sorry about that other post! I'm currently an undergraduate and whenever I feel like my work is too much for me, I tell myself that this is nothing compared to med school. This may seem like negative reinforcement or something but it helps me out and then I feel like nothing is too difficult for me. Hope that helped.

I guess for me, it has to be the fact that I've worked so hard to get to where I am right now... and the fact that I'm so close to making it, that everytime I feel like failing, I just ask myself "do you really want to give up all that you've done the past few years?"

It works everytime.

KMorris3...You are absolutely ******ed.

"be the difference that makes a difference"

Howdy,

Hey BoonDoc do you have any cartilage left between your bones? I have met so many airborne who claim that they lost an inch or two during their tour.

My inspiration is knowing that I am not on my time schedual or plan. Taking everything in stride helps keep me grounded to reality yet affords me an adventure daily. If I had listened to my HS advisor or taken the safer path then I wouldn't have the great wife I do now or our close friendship that I work hard at now in the hope of being able to work side by side in the future.

The profile signature is from a Prof that encouraged us with this saying.

------------------
BSD
______
Work under the assumption that you will be happy one day

hey Moo,
your concept reminds me of a common African saying that my grandmother used to use "How can you eat an elephant and leave the tail?"

So far I feel like I'm half-way through the "elephant"....and I'm still as hungry as hell
smile.gif

Whenever I feel like giving up I remind myself of all the smart people who don't have a shot at the wonderful education I'm getting,the loving family who support and love me,and the blessings I receive from above.

one of my greatest inspirations comes from the words Dr. Spoery(one of the founders of "The Flying Doctors")whom I had the honorable chance to work with.She always said,"a diamond is just a chunk of coal made good under pressure" Hearing these words coming from an octogenarian pilot/General surgeon added fuel to the burning desire I had in pursuing medicine.

------------------
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN,MUCH IS EXPECTED.

All the things you guys are saying are great! At the beginning of this semseter, I was trying to balance Physics, Organic, and Genetics, along with 2 Labs & a psych course. Needless to say, I was a little discouraged....My first set of midterms were a little less than promising, and for about a month I thought "do I have what it takes???" Here are some of the things I did to keep my hopes up:

1) I have a great family & boyfriend who are constantly telling me that I DO have what it takes...and not to let one exam stop me. They also told me, that they'll love me for whatever I do.

2) I met a medical student, which kinda makes the whole med-school thing seem more real to me.....

I just finished my organic final. I believe I did well...possibly well enough to get an A in the class! Physics & Genetics will be fine...
smile.gif

The number one thing to getting yourself into medical school, in my opinion, is BELIEVING IN YOURSELF.

Good Luck to anyone still taking finals!!
smile.gif