"And YOU'RE going to be a DOCTOR?"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

velouria

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
so here's a pet peeve.
i have my share of flaky, air-headed moments. usually when that happens my husband will be all, "and you're going to be a doctor, huh?"

what's that about? didn't realize we were signing up to be perfect.

anybody else run into the same thing? or any other pre-med pet peeves?

Members don't see this ad.

yeah, someone asked me "what is the fear of <insert some exotic animal here>" Im like, I dunno.

Their response: "and you're going to be a doctor"

so I'm at the store and the guy ask me if I want a savings card, I say no I'm moving. He asks where I tell him, he asks why I say med school. His reply "So you are going to be a nurse, thats nice." (not the first time this has happened . . .mind you I have nothing but the greatest respect for nurses, my mom is one. but for the love of God not every women going into medicine is going to be a nurse!)

Members don't see this ad :)
I swear this happen so many times!

People ask me what I'm doing next year...I'm like "I'm coming/going back to UCLA for Med School"

Then they'll ask me "So you took the MCAT?" I'm like yea of course. "So you're applying? When will you hear back?" I'm like I ALREADY heard back, and I got in.

It's either they can't believe I got into med school or they think I look too young to be in med school. Kinda frustrating

What about the people who once you tell them you have been accepted into medical school list their symptoms to you and ask you what is wrong with them. Then, when you can't diagnosis them they ask, "Well what type of doctor are you going to be if you don't know what is wrong with me." "I would like to begin my first day of medical school", I reply.

he he. Whenever I drop something, my hubby shouts from the other room, I hope that wasn't the spleen!!! :laugh: but he gives me lots of good lovin' to make up for the teasing.

When I worked in a clinic, my nice little old patients would find out I was going to UT and say, oh are you studying to be a nurse? and I would say, no I'm pre-med, and for a while I was like, oh they think that because I'm a woman! blast them all!! so I finally asked one lady why she thought I was going to be a nurse and she said, oh it's because you are just so nice. So I got to feel about an inch tall, because she really meant it. She thinks all doctors are jerks. That was sort of a hilarious turn of events. I also found out the nursing program at UT is really competitive and great, so it was a compliment if they thought I was in that program anyway.

I too make a Jessica Simpson-worthy remark every once in a while. Tell your husband that two can play that game, and he'd better quit making fun of you before you start pointing out his flaws, because a lot of those who dish it out, can't take it. Rock on vel.

The absolute worst thing I hate to hear when I say I'm premed/going to med school is, "oh you're going to make the good money (obnoxious laugh pointing out that I am a shallow, selfish, obviously materialistic person)!" Is it really NOT tacky anymore to just discuss money with strangers? I always feel like replying, oh the money doesn't matter, I've made enough money stripping to keep me in Louis V the rest of my days!

My pet-peeve is when someone finds out that I've been accepted and they immediately ask what speciality I want to go into and then start calling me "doctor" every time they see me...I feel sort of embarrassed because there's so much in between now and when I graduate, and to be called "doctor" isn't why I 'm doing this whole trip. Uggghhhh!!

celticmists18 said:
so I'm at the store and the guy ask me if I want a savings card, I say no I'm moving. He asks where I tell him, he asks why I say med school. His reply "So you are going to be a nurse, thats nice." (not the first time this has happened . . .mind you I have nothing but the greatest respect for nurses, my mom is one. but for the love of God not every women going into medicine is going to be a nurse!)

So what you're saying is that every woman DOESN'T want to be a nurse? This is news to me! :smuggrin:

I'm being fecicious of course but did read that thread in the lounge about sexiest professions? Nurse topped the list by far for women (even higher than sex industry worker and model.) You sure you don't want to be a nurse? Haha.

Or how about... "All doctors are crooks. They all make a million bucks a year and still charge senior citizens $1000s of dollars just to be seen in their office. I would hope you won't do that, but you never know, once people become doctors all they think about is money and golf." :eek: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I said back to this person..."Well that won't happen. I don't know how to play golf." :laugh:

CalBeE said:

People ask me what I'm doing next year...I'm like "I'm coming/going back to UCLA for Med School"

Then they'll ask me "So you took the MCAT?" I'm like yea of course. "So you're applying? When will you hear back?" I'm like I ALREADY heard back, and I got in.

It's either they can't believe I got into med school or they think I look too young to be in med school. Kinda frustrating

The preferred response type for stupid questions like asking you if you've taken the MCAT after you've told them you're already in is sarcastic.

You tell them: "I'm going to UCLA for med school in the fall."

They ask: "So you took the MCAT?"

You respond: "No. I'm so overqualified they didn't bother making me take the MCAT. In fact, they didn't even interview me."

Everytime there is ANY situation with blood involved - a paper-cut, small kife cut, an open sore, a bloody head trauma injury - people around me would say, "Oh but since you're gonna be a doctor you're not grossed out, right? In fact, you probably ENJOY it. Oh come closer, SEE!" uuuhhh thanks, but no thanks.

Another thing I get is - "You must like dead bodies. You have to like them to spend so much time with one."

My favorite one by far is - "Did you hear that medical students initiate the new students by making them eat a piece of the cadaver? Are you into that?"

Necrophilia, Cannibalism, and the love of blood. What am I? The cryptkeeper?

Amy B said:
I said back to this person..."Well that won't happen. I don't know how to play golf."

Omigosh! What did you put on the Golf Handicap portions of the AMCAS and AACOMAS?
:D

Members don't see this ad :)
Alexander99 said:
The preferred response type for stupid questions like asking you if you've taken the MCAT after you've told them you're already in is sarcastic.

You tell them: "I'm going to UCLA for med school in the fall."

They ask: "So you took the MCAT?"

You respond: "No. I'm so overqualified they didn't bother making me take the MCAT. In fact, they didn't even interview me."
I was asked those questions by strangers most of the time...and I just think that they don't see me as a med student b/c I look pretty young (I can pass for 16-17 year old)...but then I'm an Asian guy, so what do people expect? ;)

celticmists18 said:

See my signature below. Besides...do people not know that medical school is where they train future doctors, not nurses?? I guess not.

I used to smoke cigarettes, I quit about a month ago. Every time I would light one up, or go to grab a pack, my friend who is a health nut would say to me: "I don't get it, how can you smoke and say you are going to be doctor, doctors are supposed to know the smoking is horrible for you" He did have a point but it drove me nuts at the time.

A lot of people who knew me would ask me, What kind of doctor you gonna be? A pediatrician?

I think because I'm sort of jolly, and female.

But I don't like kids. That jolly would fly right out the window if I had to face a waiting room full of screaming kids day after day.

So when the people who know me as jolly find out this grinchlike aspect of my personality, they react like I'm some kind of horrible person and give me a lecture about how wonderful kids are.

Good grief! I didn't say I kick them in Wal-Mart, I just said I'm not going to be a pediatrician.

What do people assume jolly men are going to be? OB-GYNS :D

curlycity said:
A lot of people who knew me would ask me, What kind of doctor you gonna be? A pediatrician?

I hate that stereotype.

Most likely because I am a male, considering going into into peds.

:)

curlycity said:

But I don't like kids. That jolly would fly right out the window if I had to face a waiting room full of screaming kids day after day.

So when the people who know me as jolly find out this grinchlike aspect of my personality, they react like I'm some kind of horrible person and give me a lecture about how wonderful kids are.

Good grief! I didn't say I kick them in Wal-Mart, I just said I'm not going to be a pediatrician.

What do people assume jolly men are going to be? OB-GYNS :D

I found out that in situations like that, I just have to reword what I say to make it sound more politically correct.

Instead of saying "I don't like kids", say "I enjoy working with adults/elderly more". Instead of saying "I'm in it for the $$$", say "Having a job with financial stability is a plus". Finally, instead of saying "I wanna go for dermatology b/c of the relaxed life style", say "I wanna go for dermatology b/c it's a noble profession that help people with BOTH self esteem and physical problems"

lilgecko said:
My pet-peeve is when someone finds out that I've been accepted and they immediately ask what speciality I want to go into and then start calling me "doctor" every time they see me...I feel sort of embarrassed because there's so much in between now and when I graduate, and to be called "doctor" isn't why I 'm doing this whole trip. Uggghhhh!!

isn't that exactly what we live for? thats all i want to hear.

velouria said:
so here's a pet peeve.
i have my share of flaky, air-headed moments. usually when that happens my husband will be all, "and you're going to be a doctor, huh?"

what's that about? didn't realize we were signing up to be perfect.

anybody else run into the same thing? or any other pre-med pet peeves?

yes. this drives me crazy. i get it more from strangers than people who know me. people love to criticize over the most pointless ****. a lot of the time they are just joking around, but it still really erks me.

classmate: "what's that on your hand?"
me: "oh, it says RENT on my hand cause i have to remember to pay the rent tonight."
classmate: "and you're going to be a doctor? i woudn't want you to be my doctor. you can't even remember to pay rent without writing it on your hand!"
what i should have said: "yeah? well who the f#ck are you? and what does remembering to mail the rent have to do with being a doctor? mind your own business."

instead, i said something like "oh ha ha" :rolleyes:

CalBeE said:

It also could be because so many lame-o's lie about going to med school saying they're going to med school before they even got in. And then they end up not getting in. WAY too many people do this.

DMB MD said:
I hate that stereotype.

Are you jolly?

I think of ideal pediatricians as soothing, non-intimidating personalities, not Santa Claus-types with giant hair (me).

Good for you going into peds :) Do you get it in reverse? Like, 'that's women's work!'

I really hate the gender stereotypes extending into medicine, and then well-meaning individuals perpetuate them by insisting that patients ought to choose a doctor of a certain gender, assuming that makes them more comfortable. In my personal experience, I've disliked female OB-GYNS (not as individuals, just as hoo-ha probers) and prefer to see a man. Even more preferable would be an invisible, blind man, so neither of us would have to encounter each other in the pants-up world and be embarrassed.

DMB MD said:
I hate that stereotype.

As long as you're not Patch Adams, you're fine...

I only watched the movie once and I think he actually started practicing medicine before completing med school and w/o a license...really risky you know.

DrWuStar said:
yes. this drives me crazy. i get it more from strangers than people who know me. people love to criticize over the most pointless ****. a lot of the time they are just joking around, but it still really erks me.

classmate: "what's that on your hand?"
me: "oh, it says RENT on my hand cause i have to remember to pay the rent tonight."
classmate: "and you're going to be a doctor? i woudn't want you to be my doctor. you can't even remember to pay rent without writing it on your hand!"
what i should have said: "yeah? well who the f#ck are you? and what does remembering to mail the rent have to do with being a doctor? mind your own business."

instead, i said something like "oh ha ha" :rolleyes:
I find those people hella annoying too. It's like if you don't laugh they'll be like "You're too serious/sensitive"...

celticmists18 said:

Now I'm at the point where I just tell people I'm moving out of state to go to graduate school. If they don't delve any further I don't clarify what sort of advanced degree I'm pursuing. I resorted to this because I got tired of getting the look, you know, the one you get after you tell people you're going to medical school, and they mentally size you up as if to guess your intelligence. Also the fact that you're a woman leads them to automatically assume you want to be an OB/GYN or the aforementioned pediatrician. When I mention infectious diseases they screw their face up like what is that. Which means I have to explain what ID docs do. So to skip all that I just say grad school. Sad, sad, sad.

yea, I use the generic "Grad School" term around those that never knew I apply. But of course word spreads fast, especially among Asian relatives/families. Before I know, I'll hear from someone else that "CalBee's gonna be neurosurgeon" even though I have no interest in surgery whatsoever. People make things up as they go along.

curlycity said:
Are you jolly?

I think of ideal pediatricians as soothing, non-intimidating personalities, not Santa Claus-types with giant hair (me).

Good for you going into peds :) Do you get it in reverse? Like, 'that's women's work!' QUOTE]

Not so much jolly, I would say easy going.

And I dont think I have ever been classified as intimidating

:D

rmp said:
Now I'm at the point where I just tell people I'm moving out of state to go to graduate school. If they don't delve any further I don't clarify what sort of advanced degree I'm pursuing. I resorted to this because I got tired of getting the look, you know, the one you get after you tell people you're going to medical school, and they mentally size you up as if to guess your intelligence. Also the fact that you're a woman leads them to automatically assume you want to be an OB/GYN or the aforementioned pediatrician. When I mention infectious diseases they screw their face up like what is that. Which means I have to explain what ID docs do. So to skip all that I just say grad school. Sad, sad, sad.

I get that same freaked out look when I say I want to go into emergency medicine or trauma surgery. the look is quickly followed by some remark about how that will make it really hard to have a family (I don't even have a boyfriend and they assume I'm going to be popping out kids in the not so distant future)!

Back when I was a premed accepted to med school. This guy had a heart attack at New Years Eve Party. There was a cardiologist who happened to be there applying the ol CPR. Then these dopes at my table ask me, " Is he doing everything right? He doesn't look like he is getting enough air?" Here let me check my biochem textbook and I'll get back to you :rolleyes:

My pet peeve is when people ask me for medical advice...as if I am already a doctor...and I am not even accepted yet. I usually give them some sort of line about how real doctors never give out advice for free because of liability.

kaikai128 said:
My pet peeve is when people ask me for medical advice...as if I am already a doctor...and I am not even accepted yet. I usually give them some sort of line about how real doctors never give out advice for free because of liability.

Yeah, I had this gf once that every time she didn't feel right she would come and ask me to diagnose her. Then when I said that I couldn't becasue biochemistry degree doesn't teach these things, she would get all p*ssed off and complain to her friends that I didn't care about her enough becasue I wouldn't diagnose her.

Then there was this one time when we had this huge fight over asprin and ibprofen, how much to take, and whether it would interact with her other medications. When I advised for her to call her doctor and ask, she said that I wasn't listening to her and what would I do if I had a patient in this situation in a few years...blow them off? Key point...(insert girls name) A FEW YEARS!!!!

Ahhhh thanks, that was catharitic!! :laugh:

scrappydawg said:
Yeah, I had this gf once that every time she didn't feel right she would come and ask me to diagnose her. Then when I said that I couldn't becasue biochemistry degree doesn't teach these things, she would get all p*ssed off and complain to her friends that I didn't care about her enough becasue I wouldn't diagnose her.

Then there was this one time when we had this huge fight over asprin and ibprofen, how much to take, and whether it would interact with her other medications. When I advised for her to call her doctor and ask, she said that I wasn't listening to her and what would I do if I had a patient in this situation in a few years...blow them off? Key point...(insert girls name) A FEW YEARS!!!!

Ahhhh thanks, that was catharitic!! :laugh:

I have a simple rule...I don't treat friends or family. Leads to problems and they understand my stance.

BigBopper said:
Back when I was a premed accepted to med school. This guy had a heart attack at New Years Eve Party. There was a cardiologist who happened to be there applying the ol CPR. Then these dopes at my table ask me, " Is he doing everything right? He doesn't look like he is getting enough air?" Here let me check my biochem textbook and I'll get back to you :rolleyes:
hahaha. i think those situations are more funny than annoying. i was at a jazz club a few weeks ago, and someone had a heart attack or something, and so they said over the PA "is there a doctor in the house? we have an emergency at such and such a table" so my fiance leans over and say "are you going to go over there?"

um no sweetheart, they didn't ask if there was a premed student in the house. they need a doctor.

celticmists18 said:

Obviously the guy was not familiar with SDN or medical school admissions- he would have known that you guys are kicking our butt in admissions/acceptances.

Then again, he was working the register...

celticmists18 said:
you did correct the guy right?

lilgecko said:
My pet-peeve is when ...snip.... calling me "doctor" every time they see me...I feel sort of embarrassed because there's so much in between now and when I graduate
I definitely don't like it when that happens in more public places, but I don't mind all the time.

In lab this past semester I was wearing a Tshirt from a sailboat that I race on called Aftershock. My lab partner spent the rest of the lab calling me "Doc Aftershock." It was funny (and didn't carry on into lecture, the next lab, ect...!)

DMB MD said:
I used to smoke cigarettes, I quit about a month ago. Every time I would light one up, or go to grab a pack, my friend who is a health nut would say to me: "I don't get it, how can you smoke and say you are going to be doctor, doctors are supposed to know the smoking is horrible for you" He did have a point but it drove me nuts at the time.

I'll have to admit that I do this to my husband. He is a pre-med and every time I find out that he smoked a cigarette, I say "and you want to be a doctor". I know it sounds silly but I guess we all kind of expect that doctors knowing what they know about health and disease would never harm their body when they see the cause and effect reaction. Doctors are human like anyone else. We just set them to a higher standard than anyone else. We all expect them to be role models for the rest of us about health. Not always the case. Do what I say not what I do.

I get the "And YOU'RE going to be a doctor?" because I listen to metal. I'm usually first on line for local metal shows and I pull into my school parking lot blasting slayer and the like. For some reason people find it hard to believe that someone who listens to heavy music could become a doctor.

AmberE said:
I'll have to admit that I do this to my husband. He is a pre-med and every time I find out that he smoked a cigarette, I say "and you want to be a doctor". I know it sounds silly but I guess we all kind of expect that doctors knowing what they know about health and disease would never harm their body when they see the cause and effect reaction. Doctors are human like anyone else. We just set them to a higher standard than anyone else. We all expect them to be role models for the rest of us about health. Not always the case. Do what I say not what I do.

Actually I think it IS reasonable to expect doctors to lead by example. If you can't lead a healthy lifestyle then how can you expect your patients to do so?

CalBeE said:
Instead of saying "I'm in it for the $$$", say "Having a job with financial stability is a plus".
I started taking the opposite approach. I AGREE with them. If they tell me I'm going to make 500K, I correct them... "No, more like 6 or 7. How much do you make?" When they say I'm in it just for the money, I say "Why else would I do it?". Sometimes I'll add "gotta support my coke habit after all." When they say I'm just going to be golfing all day, I say "I bet you wish you could do that. Besides, I've got my clubs in the car already."

Basically, they want to be jealous. They won't listen to anything else. And if they want to start a conversation telling me how much of a self-centered prick I am... Fine. I help them along all I can. ;) And if their belief is so engrained that they can't realize I'm BSing them, then what's the point in even trying to educate them.

DMB MD said:

That always pisses me off. Granted, it is bad to smoke, but still...is there like some kind of law or something?

I hate people who try to take credit for being a physician and they are no where near the profession...For instance...This has happened to me quite a few times...I asked a girl...So, what do you do for a living...she says...Oh..I'm in medical school...and I'm like...Really!!...WOW!!...I'm premed?what a coincidence....and she's like...yeah, I?m gonna be a CNA...I was like...OK..I didn?t want to hurt her feelings by saying...There?s a big difference between Medical School and a 3 week CNA program (Nothing against CNA's)...I was talking to another girl and I asked her what she did for a living..and she replied...I'm a field surgeon in the Army...I knew she lying because she and I graduated from high school only two years earlier...I met another lady and I asked her what she did for a living and she had the sheer audacity to say...I?m a baby Cancer Doctor...I was extremely impressed initially...I was like WOW...you're a Pediatric Oncologist...she was shocked to hear that I knew what the specialty was actually called...I kept asking more and more questions only to find out that she was an LPN and she works for a Pediatric Oncologist...

Mr Reddly said:
I started taking the opposite approach. I AGREE with them. If they tell me I'm going to make 500K, I correct them... "No, more like 6 or 7. How much do you make?" When they say I'm in it just for the money, I say "Why else would I do it?". Sometimes I'll add "gotta support my coke habit after all." When they say I'm just going to be golfing all day, I say "I bet you wish you could do that. Besides, I've got my clubs in the car already."

Basically, they want to be jealous. They won't listen to anything else. And if they want to start a conversation telling me how much of a self-centered prick I am... Fine. I help them along all I can. ;) And if their belief is so engrained that they can't realize I'm BSing them, then what's the point in even trying to educate them.
You're the best, Mr. RAD

LTbulldogs said:
I hate people who try to take credit for being a physician and they are no where near the profession...For instance...This has happened to me quite a few times...I asked a girl...So, what do you do for a living...she says...Oh..I'm in medical school...and I'm like...Really!!...WOW!!...I'm premed?what a coincidence....and she's like...yeah, I?m gonna be a CNA...I was like...OK..I didn?t want to hurt her feelings by saying...There?s a big difference between Medical School and a 3 week CNA program (Nothing against CNA's)...I was talking to another girl and I asked her what she did for a living..and she replied...I'm a field surgeon in the Army...I knew she lying because she and I graduated from high school only two years earlier...I met another lady and I asked her what she did for a living and she had the sheer audacity to say...I?m a baby Cancer Doctor...I was extremely impressed initially...I was like WOW...you're a Pediatric Oncologist...she was shocked to hear that I knew what the specialty was actually called...I kept asking more and more questions only to find out that she was an LPN and she works for a Pediatric Oncologist...

Wow never met people like that before. Sounds like you are around some people with serious insecurity issues.

People ask "What are you going to school for?" and I'm like "I would like to be a doctor someday" and they're like "So, are you taking any golf classes?!" and they smirk like they just figured out what you're all about. I usually say, "Flying is my thing, actually. Its even more expensive, vain and snobby!"

underAchiever said:
I usually say, "Flying is my thing, actually. Its even more expensive, vain and snobby!"
Love that! I remember getting a physical... I think it was so I could solo... (mostly in a little cesna.. 94349..It's been a while, but I still remember that number :D) and they guy telling me to get it all in BEFORE school started. Otherwise, you just don't have the time, he said :(

I don't know nurses claiming to be MDs but I do know a fair # of college students claiming to be med students. The vague responses like: i'm studying to be a doctor, i'm going to Hopkins for med school etc. I mean you may have the goal of being a doctor and Hopkins is your dream school, but its a little premature to go around saying that as a college frosh--esp. when it seems that 50% of a college class comes in pre-med (and the other half pre-law) and very few actually follow thru.

I actually know someone who went around for 3 yrs in college telling everyone 'i'm going to harvard med', as if it was a done deal and that 'he had the highest score in the nation on the MCAT'--didn't know that MCAT scores were ranked #1, #2, #1000000 etc. Boy was he in for a shock when it came time to apply.

That does kinda remind me... Last week, I met a girl who said she would be going to UCLA next year (as in matriculate in a year and a half). You see, something along the lines of her boyfriend's dad gave a bunch of money to the school (I should have asked if the name was geffen) and so her bf's sis is already in, and she (this student) was a shure in because she is the father's son's gf... All I could say was "congratulations."