"And YOU'RE going to be a DOCTOR?"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I was arrested for running nekid through downtown NY screaming "NO BLOOD FOR OIL" and the cop was like, "so your gonna be a Doctor?"...OMG what a douche!

Members don't see this ad.

If you're premed, stop freaking telling people that, "you're going to medical school". You don't know, you're not there yet. There's a good chance you won't be going. Save yourself the future depression and embarassment and just stop telling people.

curlycity said:
A lot of people who knew me would ask me, What kind of doctor you gonna be? A pediatrician?

I think because I'm sort of jolly, and female.

But I don't like kids. That jolly would fly right out the window if I had to face a waiting room full of screaming kids day after day.

So when the people who know me as jolly find out this grinchlike aspect of my personality, they react like I'm some kind of horrible person and give me a lecture about how wonderful kids are.

Good grief! I didn't say I kick them in Wal-Mart, I just said I'm not going to be a pediatrician.

What do people assume jolly men are going to be? OB-GYNS :D

:laugh: :laugh: I get that a lot too. Yet, when I go to Walmart I can't tell you how many times I have wanted to kick those little annoying kids (or hit em with a bat). I don' think that would go over too well with those who think I should go into Peds. :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
JKDMed said:
If you're premed, stop freaking telling people that, "you're going to medical school". You don't know, you're not there yet. There's a good chance you won't be going. Save yourself the future depression and embarassment and just stop telling people.
the next time a little kid says hes are going to be a doc when he grows up, beat the **** of him.

indyzx said:
the next time a little kid says hes are going to be a doc when he grows up, beat the **** of him.

Heheh! OMG, you SO get (good) karma for this.

In a futile attempt to get this thread back on track from the bashing of cocky pre-meds it has become, I will mention that both friends and family members have asked me to "lance" things and/or diagnose their untimely bleeding from "certain" openings.

One friend prefaces all questions with, "Now Sean, you're a doctor, I was wondering. . ."

JKDMed said:

I have a question about this. When people ask me what I am studying in college I rarely say "premed." I instead say I am majoring in biology. This is often me with confused looks like, "How are you going to make money with a degree in biology" ignorant I know, my question is, is it OK to say you are planning to apply to med school, or is that sound ridiculous as well

JKDMed said:

I say, let them put that extra pressure on themselves if they want to. They're the ones that are gonna have to pay the price if they don't get in. Endless "I thought you said you were going to med school--what happened?" comments will send them crashing back to reality.

DMB MD said:
I have a question about this. When people ask me what I am studying in college I rarely say "premed." I instead say I am majoring in biology. This is often me with confused looks like, "How are you going to make money with a degree in biology" ignorant I know, my question is, is it OK to say you are planning to apply to med school, or is that sound ridiculous as well

That's exactly what I say .. (well now I guess I can say I am going to medical school)

But I would get these three questions without fail from everybody who I newly met:
"So . . like . . what's your major?"
"Oh . . Biology, huh? What are you going to do with that?"
"Wow, applying to medical school! What kind of doctor do you want to be?"

edit: oh and nice icon :)

its funny to hear these stories. the same EXACT things happen to me everyday and they are quite annoying: people calling me doctor, asking me to diagnose them, if i ever do something bad/stupid they say "and youre gonna be a doctor," etc... i just dont pay attention to them anymore. its hard to fake laugh though when people say stupid things.

ohh, i hate when parents who have kids that will apply soon start asking me interview type questions to see what i say. so annoying. like they start testing me. wtf.

Parents that "test" you on interview questions are usually the ones that need false assurance that their own kids can do better than you and get into a better med school. It's like a competition thing, but obviously no one will admit it.

I have never had any of these experiences. No one in my family is a doctor, I am the first in maybe 80 years and the first in my family who will be practicing in America. I don't think my family and friends really understand the hardships I overcame in order to be accepted to a med school except for my dad and maybe a few of my roomates and most people I tell are quite shocked that in 10 years I will be taking care of people. Haha, thats not really a good thing but its pretty funny to me right now, I used to be the biggest slacker I've changed a lot in the last two years. If anyone give you sh^t for making a stupid mistake talk **** right back to them. They have no idea what it took for you to get an acceptance into med school. The first person who makes fun of me is going to either get an earful or a fist in the mouth.

aj725 said:
I actually know someone who went around for 3 yrs in college telling everyone 'i'm going to harvard med', as if it was a done deal and that 'he had the highest score in the nation on the MCAT'--didn't know that MCAT scores were ranked #1, #2, #1000000 etc. Boy was he in for a shock when it came time to apply.

Surrealistically dorky. Almost unbelievable, really, but I know there are people like this out there. I would guess they suffer from pretty bad personality disorders, and are to be pitied in public, and ridiculed only in private.

Members don't see this ad :)
ForensicPath said:
I get the "And YOU'RE going to be a doctor?" because I listen to metal. I'm usually first on line for local metal shows and I pull into my school parking lot blasting slayer and the like. For some reason people find it hard to believe that someone who listens to heavy music could become a doctor.

Yeah...all my friends love it when I absentmindedly sing along to rap music with my high, *cute* little voice. And I got some looks the other day for rocking my face off to Metallica's S&M album. The only genre I don't blast from my Bose is country...and that gets me wierd looks because I'm in Texas.

About the smoking...I recently overcame a pretty formidable junk food habit, and I used to get the stinkeye from people who felt I should be putting sprouts in my mouth instead. But I couldn't really argue with them. It was just funny b/c they outweighed me by around 50 lbs. I replaced the candy & snacks with fresh-ground coffee, which is more socially acceptable for future doctors :rolleyes:

Wierd story (on a side note): I got the candy habit while my gallbladder was, unbeknownst to me, totally blocked with stones & whatnot so every normal food I ate that contained a bit of fat would give me "heartburn" (%&$@ those incessant Prilosec commercials! Incorrect self-diagnosis!). So I unconsciously started increasing my Skittles ration to give me energy during the day and started skipping normal food. Eventually I was living on licorice! It snuck up on me because I was so busy, I just dismissed the pain after eating as stress or heartburn or something. Yeah, my gallbladder was totally shot and had to come out...but I still put it off until spring break.

But now I get people saying whenever I have a symptom, "Well you don't know what's wrong with you? And YOU'RE going to be a doctor?"

And then there are those parents who come to me asking questions about almost every detail from a premed student's courses to school interviews and act as if they know everything about the process (living vicariously) and then pressure or lecture there son or daughter on the "correct" way to do things.

Example: This guy's daughter is a freshman in college this year and wants to be a music major. Her dad comes up to me and asks "Isn't it true that the only way to get into medical school is to be a bio major."
I tell him I'm a chem major. He acts as if he didn't hear me and says "I yell at my daughter to be a bio major or her chances of going to med school will be impossible"
I tell him she can be a music major and if she takes the required premed courses, she can still apply to med schools. He says "Med schools want to see bio courses cause being a doctor is all about biology. Why won't she listen?"
At this point, I've given up on these asian parents and I tell him "Yup, gotta be a bio major!"
He said "I knew it! But she loves piano too much. Can she really be a music major and get into medical school?"
I said "Sure"
He said "But bio major's better right?"
I said "Sure"
He said "I knew it! This medical school application process is a one way road through biology. She should listen to wiser parents"
I smiled at him and said "Yup, you're pretty insightful!"

Another pet peeve is of parents hearing you're applying to med schools and immediately set a high standard of you in terms of accomplishments and then criticize you behind your back cause they get jealous. I remember when I was a frosh, I had this other friend from back home who also decided to go the premed route cause his mom told him that being a doctor is the best career and cause I'm doing it too (we're the same year). Then after the first semester of gen chem, I heard my friend dropped outta premed and into the business school.
Fast forward 3 years. I just completed my med interviews and my friend's mom has been asking nonstop for 3 months if I heard any news. Her 2nd son just started college at Johns Hopkins and is also "supposedly" into medicine too. Anyways, gossip among these asian parents spread fast and the news that I'm still waiting on schools reached the mom's ear. Then I overheard her saying that "well...some people are just not meant to be doctors. must be his subpar grades or his lack of interviewing skills. I'll make sure my son succeeds."
Then 2 months later I receive my first acceptance. People keep asking me how's my status and I tell them "bah, still waiting." Technically I still am on some waitlists so I'm not lying hehee. And of course I hear back from my parents that other parents have been saying that I'm not smart enuf. Then they start asking about my plans in the fall so I tell them I'm looking into graduate school. :thumbup:

I hate when people say oh you're going to be a doctor, now you can give us all money! I just laugh.

It's become a big pet peeve of mine that whenever I say anything is gross, I get the "and you want to be a doctor" speech. Yes, seeing people's noses get chiseled off on plastic surgery shows kinda creeps me out, but I'm not going to be a plastic surgeon : :rolleyes:

CeLo said:
It's become a big pet peeve of mine that whenever I say anything is gross, I get the "and you want to be a doctor" speech. Yes, seeing people's noses get chiseled off on plastic surgery shows kinda creeps me out, but I'm not going to be a plastic surgeon : :rolleyes:

I have the EXACT same squeamishness for watching plastic surgery on TV, and yeah I get criticized - "you'd better get used to it!" Well I'm not going to be a plastic surgeon either! And it's different when it's real, or necessary, so you're mentally justifying it as for a greater good and concentrating on the procedure. On TV, it's just sort of gross, and all you can think about is how much that's gonna hurt later.

curlycity said:
Eventually I was living on licorice! QUOTE]
:p What was your diagnosis for the black tongue

Most of my friends are awesome about my acceptances but there have definitely been a few who were like, "oh, really..." and then I didn't hear back from them for like, forever. And I mean, I NEVER heard back from them.

My own brother is a little put out by this and he hasn't responded to my telling him this yet (by letter). I think he's mad because it's something he always wanted to do - go to medschool. He's also my older brother, so that might add something to the equation. He was totally cool about it while I was slogging away all these last few years, but now that I got accepted, silence rings out. :smuggrin:

People gotta deal with their feelings, but I don't have to wait around for them to get it together.

curlycity said:
bump a roo, because this thread is funny
Very! :)

At my school we have the option of making our own interdisciplinary degree, so I've taken the opportunity to do this and get a major in biochem, anatomy, physiology, and consequently what you could call a pre-med degree. When people ask me what I'm majoring in, though, I always say "biochemistry" or "biology", and if they ask me what I'm planning on doing I usually answer "don't know yet". I get tired of the "WOW you're going to be a doctor?" or "Oh...so how much money are you going to make? What is with you people, there's more to life than making money!" ...As if the only reason anyone goes into med school is for the money...i think we can all find many other ways to make 6 figure salaries than through 11-13 years of school.

Also, I usually don't tell them what I really plan on doing for the sake that I don't want them to think I'm bragging or something. I'm far from IN med school yet and so it doesn't really matter to mention it yet anyways.

This is sort of different, but...I hate it when I tell people 1) I got in and 2) where I'm going, after they ask, and then they seem...surprised. :( Maybe I need to clench my cheeks tighter and come across as a bit more serious. Nah, I'm just gonna be me. But, I hate that!!!

curlycity said:

Hmm...

If, in exchange for, a guaranteed acceptance letter to JHU, Harvard, UCSF, I would full-on French-kiss the most heinous grade school lunch lady with hypertrophy of the filiform papillae of the tongue characterized by brownish-black discoloration that your memory could conjur up.

Heck, who am I kidding, I would probably even kiss the lunch man.

XOXO,
Your Med-School ***** :oops:
911Med

I get the?.?You don?t listen to me how do you expect to be a good doctor??.my mom makes me cry a lot?.. :(

J/K...I do get this but it is from my current field of study (computers)

Guy at the office: "You know computer stuff...right?"

Me: "Yes..."

Guy at the office: "My computer doesn't work....what could be wrong?"

Me: staring at him like WTF!? "You are going to have to give me more than that"

Guy at the office: "You know when I try to use stuff....man and you are supposed to be a computer guy!?"

Me: "Yah.....well see ya...." runs back to lab and safety of electromagnetically sealed server door....

saturday night:
friend: my hand hurts, whats wrong?
me: how am i supposed to know.
friend: youre gonna be a dr.

today at work:
me: how long is that black eye gonna last
co-worker: i dont know, you tell me...youre the dr.

WTF??

So, when I was interviewing at one school, the tourguide took us into a laboratory. The walls of the lab were lined with preserved specimens (livers, lungs, a fetus, etc.). The tourguide said, "If this stuff bothers you guys, then you should consider an alternate career."

I was like...... duh.

Mr.Tweed said:
So, when I was interviewing at one school, the tourguide took us into a laboratory. The walls of the lab were lined with preserved specimens (livers, lungs, a fetus, etc.). The tourguide said, "If this stuff bothers you guys, then you should consider an alternate career."

I was like...... duh.

:laugh:

I went through an anatomy lab that had a half head in a jar, and I have to admit I was trying really hard not to stare. It was just so...half a head in a jar.

anytime i'm talking to family about wanting to go to med school i say, "if i'm accepted" or "hopefully i'll be in med school next year," and they all say, "oh please, you are so smart, you could get in anywhere you want." and i try to tell them med school does not work like undergrad... you can't just go wherever you want. you just hope you can go somewhere. it's nice that they think i'm like the smartest person alive, but if they only realized how average i am in the pre-med world, so very, very average, they would realize just getting in somewhere is a big accomplishment. my grandma was like, you'll probably just stay at umich right? and i said, i wouldn't mind staying here if i were so lucky as to get accepted here. and she said, well you got accepted to undergrad, you should be fine. oh family, gotta love em!

curlycity said:
:laugh:

I went through an anatomy lab that had a half head in a jar, and I have to admit I was trying really hard not to stare. It was just so...half a head in a jar.

Haha :laugh: that's gold.

On the gender related topic:
I like it when people find out I'm going to medical school and that my husband isn't, and then ask me things like "won't it be annoying that no one will ever call you doctor?" or "won't it mess up your career to take time off to raise your kids" (sidenote: my husband is a teacher, and therefore has summers off and such, and second, I can't have kids, hello rudeness).
Generally, I think people are extremely rude, on average.

Xandie

LauraMac said:
anytime i'm talking to family about wanting to go to med school i say, "if i'm accepted" or "hopefully i'll be in med school next year," and they all say, "oh please, you are so smart, you could get in anywhere you want." and i try to tell them med school does not work like undergrad... you can't just go wherever you want. you just hope you can go somewhere. it's nice that they think i'm like the smartest person alive, but if they only realized how average i am in the pre-med world, so very, very average, they would realize just getting in somewhere is a big accomplishment. my grandma was like, you'll probably just stay at umich right? and i said, i wouldn't mind staying here if i were so lucky as to get accepted here. and she said, well you got accepted to undergrad, you should be fine. oh family, gotta love em!

I know. No one in my family is in the medical field and for some reason they are under the impression that this process is a breeze. I don't even bother explaining what I'm doing anymore. It just seams pointless. During the application, if I even insinuated my concern of not getting in they would give me with the "please, not again" look. Little do they know that qualified applicants are rejecte every year galore (like 50% I believe).

Xandie said:
On the gender related topic:
I like it when people find out I'm going to medical school and that my husband isn't, and then ask me things like "won't it be annoying that no one will ever call you doctor?" or "won't it mess up your career to take time off to raise your kids" (sidenote: my husband is a teacher, and therefore has summers off and such, and second, I can't have kids, hello rudeness).
Generally, I think people are extremely rude, on average.

Xandie

*snort*giggle*helplessly convulsing*

Oh my goodness. There are so many hopelessly rude funnies in the world. People always ask me if my husband is moving with me when I start medical school. Are there a lot of young married couples living apart in America? Is this a new cultural phenomenon? I just think it's a very wierd question.

This isn't "and YOU'RE going to be a DOCTOR," but when I was initially contemplating a career in computer programming (HA!) one girl actually said, to my face, "but isn't that for, like, smart people?" I just laughed and said, "Yeah!"

Bumpity bump for a funny thread. Help me get through studying for finals, guys & gals... :)

:laugh: I get that question whenever I do something clumsy. Keep 'em coming!

i got into a little argument with one of my best friends about this last year!!

her boyfriend had left something at my place and forgotten to pick it up (an old backpack). i had said that i would drop it off with her sometime; this was all in february and all of us forgot about the bag for months. neither of them reminded me about it.

we graduated and he left town before i did; i started moving out in july and gave a lot of stuff to goodwill. since he was in a different city by then,when i realized i still had the bag i didn't even contact him; i gave it away along with tons of my other stuff.

anyway, i met up with my friend in august in NYC, hadn't seen her in months, had a great time- and then she remembers the old backpack and asks about it. i tell her that i got rid of it and i apologize.

she got a little huffy, etc, and also says 'geez, you can't forget stuff like that if you're going to be a DOCTOR. people's LIVES are at stake'.

i was so annoyed, i can't even tell you.
first of all, both of them forgot that the bag existed too! and he was the one who forgot and left it at my apartment in the first place!!

and when i got snappy at her for saying this, she reprimanded me for being 'too sensitive'. arrgh.

i rarely get too annoyed at people but this is one of the times i was honestly upset.

Here's one that really bugs me, I've gotten it a couple times. I'm somehow in the "what are you going to do" conversation with a fellow college senior, and since I'm feeling genuine and don't feel like lying or hiding the truth, I come out and say that I'm going to medical school next year.

Then I ask the other person if they have any plans and they say, "Well it's not like I think I'm really smart and want to be a doctor, I'm just thinking about grad school" in a really annoyed voice.

Comon.

When i was a police officer and walked into a room someone would invariably shout, "HE did it, officer."

Annoying guy would make some comments about handcuffs. (i would reply with some comment about the baton)

Now, on this different road, I get a lot of calls of people wanting medical advice... I JUST FINISHED MY AMCAS FOR PETE'S SAKE!! The best has been a very close friend who's adult son has had abdominal pain.

So she tells me what her son said the doctor said, and then asks me to run it by some of my "friends" at the trauma center to see if her son's doctors know WTF they're doing. sigh.

Lol, I have the total opposite problem. People keep thinking I'm a doctor when I'm not one or even in med school to be one. I just have that look I guess. I had my lab coat on once while I was walking to the cafeteria to get lunch and random passerbys totally fell for it. "Hey doctor do you know where dl;ajf;lda is??"

I could probably wear my dad's ID tag and ask for a chart and maybe no one would second guess me LOL.

What is up with everyone necro bumping 7+ year old threads. This thread will attract SDN pre-med aggro now...

What is with the necro threads today? Is it a zombie theme for Halloween?

Edit: Mohad beat me to it.

lol i always wanted to be the first to say "seriously..." when someone bumped these types of threads.

Ok, maybe it's time to enact a "Don't use search" campaign to cut down on the use of old threads.

Relative: Oh so you're planning to go to medical school?

Me: Yep

Relative: Oh, cool. So I've had this wart on my...

Me: OH GOD NO.

Fortunately my older sister is in residency now so she gets the brunt of medical questions from family.

Out of my close group of friends I'm the only one who studied biology/sciences in college and I'm the only one who has applied to medical school. They all understand that I've only applied but they still pull the old "You're a doctor, how do I fix ______." I always just tell them to spray some Windex on it. I honestly don't mind because I know it's all in good fun.

The one thing that does drive me crazy is when I'm out with friends and I introduce myself to someone and my buddy immediately follows up my introduction with "DBop's gonna be a doctor." Then I'm left with having to explain myself. And often times I get labeled as the 'goody two-shoes' of the group after explaining myself.

I know. No one in my family is in the medical field and for some reason they are under the impression that this process is a breeze. I don't even bother explaining what I'm doing anymore. It just seams pointless. During the application, if I even insinuated my concern of not getting in they would give me with the "please, not again" look. Little do they know that qualified applicants are rejecte every year galore (like 50% I believe).

YES 100%. I get this so often. My family is completely familiar with med school apps and they still tack on the old "You'll get in." line whenever we're talking about it. They know I'm completely average in this realm too. I understand that they're trying to appease me, but c'mon people, let's be realistic. My friends are especially bad about this. I'm glad they think I'm insanely smart, but if they only knew how I compared to some of these other applicants...

Last edited:
What is with the necro threads today? Is it a zombie theme for Halloween?

Damn, beat me to it. We resurrectin' err thread up in here. :laugh:

Also, whenever I'm about to go somewhere and I leave my keys in the house, my dad always looks at me, shakes his head, and says "Remember, when you're a surgeon, you better count your sponges." Thanks, Dad.

The worst is when people ask when are you starting. You (or at least I) then you feel compelled to explain the year long interval it takes to start classes. I get the impression they think that means that I am not going to real med school.

Whenever someone asks me about their symptoms I get real serious and ask things like "Do you ever get minor headaches" and "Do you ever have trouble falling asleep?" and "Do you ever feel tired during the day?" and nod gravely each time they say yes. Then I'll say that it sounds kinda like brain cancer. Or if its a girl I might say pregnancy. Either way people don't ask me anymore.