Anecdote?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cykill

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all.

I am a graduate of a Pakistani medical school, and am an ECFMG certified MD. Due to passport issues, i might have to consider doing postgraduate training in Australia. I have heard an anecdote doing the rounds that if you are certified in the US, you are excused from Part 1 (MCQs) of the AMC exams. Is this true? And can someone tell me a good website to explore the australia option.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all.

I am a graduate of a Pakistani medical school, and am an ECFMG certified MD. Due to passport issues, i might have to consider doing postgraduate training in Australia. I have heard an anecdote doing the rounds that if you are certified in the US, you are excused from Part 1 (MCQs) of the AMC exams. Is this true? And can someone tell me a good website to explore the australia option.

Thanks!

I believe it is if you are BOARD CERTIFIED in the US, not ECFMG certified (which is a totally different thing) that you are excused from Part 1. All ECFMG certification means is that they have verified that you have completed your medical school training in an approved school, etc.

Hello all.

Thanks!

If you have passed all USMLE steps and have done 2 years of residency In US then you will exempt from both AMC exams which means you can apply for full registration directly.

Members don't see this ad :)
bluesdude is pretty much on the money,

From mid 2007, Australia has been phasing in a nationally consistent process for assessing international medical graduates (IMGs). One aspect of this is the so-called "competent authority pathway", which allows IMGs an exemption from the AMC exams if they are qualified for practice in the UK, USA, Canada or NZ. The specific requirements are provided in more detail here: http://www.medicalboard.qld.gov.au/registration/img.html#competent

There is an overview of issues facing international doctors coming to Australia in the "international section" of our website, along with links to resources for further investigation,

JT

I found this form " FORM # 400 COMPETENT AUTHORITY ELIGIBILITY
FOR CURRENT SPECIAL PURPOSE REGISTRANTS" http://www.medicalboard.qld.gov.au/pdfs/forms/cam-form-400.pdf

Here's the part about USA "USMLE 1, 2 & 3 PLUS Minimum 2 years of Graduate Medical Education (GME) within a residency program accredited by the Accreditation Council of Graduate Medical Education (ACGME)"

Any idea about what would exempt an IMG from Part 1(MCQ) ?