Anencephaly baby in Nepal(warning distrubing image)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SRK85

MedTech Student
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wow....that's pretty interesting stuff. Kind of makes me want to go into perinatology now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is that a reliable news source? The baby looks fake! And it's kind of crazy that the parents allowed their deceased child to be toted around in the streets for people to gawk at.

Trookie said:
Is that a reliable news source? The baby looks fake! And it's kind of crazy that the parents allowed their deceased child to be toted around in the streets for people to gawk at.
Im not sure if thats most relaible news source but its a real medical problem, theres sites about it look under the wikipedia for links.

Yes, I know it's a real condition. :)

docB said:
What topic in healthcare does this bring up? Was this posted just to be a side show attraction? Anencephaly is a well known, well documented birth defect.
I don't know I thought health care was the best area to put it. This is the 1st time I was brought to the attention of Anencephaly, and I thought it was interesting.

Since I have an interest in birth defects, training to be a scientist who does research with birth defects, I spent some time analyzing the picture in great detail. Since the best I can do is look at this picture online right now, I will say that the chances are that the baby is real.

I'm assuming that the mother did not have an ultrasound done. If she would have, the birth defect would have been identified.

The baby living for a few minutes after birth occurs in ~ 30% of the time for anencephaly patients.

This lady lacked folic acid in her diet.

If you think that image is bad, check this one out.

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...=anencephaly&start=20&svnum=10&hl=en&lr=&sa=N

check this image out as well:

http://isc.temple.edu/neuroanatomy/lab/embryo_new/nt/4/spbf.html

Yes, anencephaly is a documented condition. In fact there was a famous case called 'baby k' in the early 90's which tested the emtala (emergency medicine treatment and active labor act). Emtala requires by law physicians to treat anyone who comes through the ER requesting treatment.

The hospital in the case requested to not treat the childs recurring life-threatening bouts of apnea that the mother demanded.

It's a really interesting case and a good one for those interested in ER medicine.

http://www.ascensionhealth.org/ethics/public/cases/cases_AF.asp#BabyK

Not a big deal, all of these babies should just be aborted anyway

Shredder ... please. Tolerance? The way you responded is a little out of line, while I respect your opinion, you KNOW that a flame war would ensue. Knowing that, you could have responded a little more tactfully.

Members don't see this ad :)
mshheaddoc said:
Shredder ... please. Tolerance? The way you responded is a little out of line, while I respect your opinion, you KNOW that a flame war would ensue. Knowing that, you could have responded a little more tactfully.
I don't know that he was being intolerant so much as ignorant about the acessibility of prenatal care and abortion resources. Some people feel that abortion is preferable to a major birth defect. It sounds to me like he is just voicing that sentiment. This is a good case from which to advocate better access to prenatal care. To some, abortion is included in that care package.

Those are good points but I suppose with certain posters and their posting history you just "hear" the same things out of their mouths ... ignorance mostly.

I suppose your description of the situtation is more accurate.

mshheaddoc said:
Yes you're right, it was brusque. I was sincere though. I think it's a shame for mutilated/deformed/diseased babies to be born instead of nipping the problem in the bud early on. Yeah, what banana said.

Somebody didnt have enough folate in their diet when they were pregnant! (Sorry, I just had to nerd it up with the genetics I learned.)

Shredder said:
Yes you're right, it was brusque. I was sincere though. I think it's a shame for mutilated/deformed/diseased babies to be born instead of nipping the problem in the bud early on. Yeah, what banana said.

On a completely unrelated note...

OMG NARUSEGAWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! :love:

LOVE THE ICON BRO!

Shredder said:

AND you have the same birthday as me!

we've been learning about this for almost all of our freshman year of medical school. anencephaly, and other neural tube defects, are always interesting to see. Our embryology book has images that might be deemed much, much more disturbing..

btw, does anyone know why they're carrying that fetus around the streets like that? Perhaps it's a cultural issue, but as a mother, I would be completely opposed to allow people to parade my dead baby throughout the streets..

docjolly said:
we've been learning about this for almost all of our freshman year of medical school. anencephaly, and other neural tube defects, are always interesting to see. Our embryology book has images that might be deemed much, much more disturbing..

btw, does anyone know why they're carrying that fetus around the streets like that? Perhaps it's a cultural issue, but as a mother, I would be completely opposed to allow people to parade my dead baby throughout the streets..
I thought the same thing myself! I'm not sure if it's a cultural thing though.

I am not a student doctor or anything of the sort but I really would like to comment on this topic.
I just found out a week ago that my baby was a boy, and then 20 minutes later found out that it has Anencephaly.
I've researched it a million times over on the internet and just bought a book related to the topic.
The mother of a child like this should have the choice to do whatever it is she wants to do with it.
I am only 18 and I've had so many people tell me how my child didn't deserve life, and now this happens.
I was ready to put everything behind me and love this child and give it everything I have.
If you know anything you know this baby can not feel pain.
So why should I stop this birth, why can't I give this child the chance to live before it's tragic death?
I want to show my child every single drop of love that I have for it in those few spare moments of it's life. Whether they say it wouldn't be able to tell that anyways, it's still important to me. He's my first child, my son, and he was my hope.
I don't appreciate the people who love to respond to what I have to say with "God can heal your baby." Because that is absolutely ridiculous. I know there is no chance for him to live, but I want him to live before dying, I want to give him the proper burial he deserves because he did deserve life.
He is still a human being to me, and still my baby.

Coming from a young, but concerned mother.

Yea what's up with the "baby in a pot" parade? Are they going to cook and eat it or something? lol :eek: