ANESTH. ANYONE??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

navs

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm an FMG and thus don't have a lot of sources to find out the strenth of programs so I thought it may be fun and helpful for people to list the experiences or knowlege of what they know about different programs!! Especially listing the pros and cons of each program.

I'm interviewing at: MGH, Brigham, Cleveland Clinic, Med. College of Wisconsin, Wash U., Northwestern, and U. of Iowa.

So I would appreciate ANY INFO. regarding these particular programs.

I'll start, I interviewed at the Cleveland Clinic so far. Pros: Great Cardiac and Pain Units, get chances at every possible case. Cons: A LOT of work, avg if not worse OB/GYN and Peds, Not a lot of teaching, not much research (probably the reason they don't get too much respect in the anesth. community), and u have to live in Cleveland. Other things to consider they seem heavily driven on producing private anesth. people, so maybe not the best place for academic driven people .

I hope others will join in!!

Members don't see this ad.

Fresh off the interview trail: Vanderbilt is a phenomenal place. Very happy residents, great camrederie, excellent city to spend 3 or 4 years, appears to have a fine reputation among anesthesiologists throughout the country. New Chief from Johns Hopkins who i expect will take the program to an even higher level.

Curious navs, could you elaborate on the CC not having much respect in the anest. community? I've been offered an out of match spot and am seriously condidering it, largely based on the prestige of the hospital. However, i take it you don't think CC is well thought of in the "world of Anesthesia". This is important to me, so I welcome your views on the matter. BTW, i'm also an IMG.

Thanks

Hey Joe,

Yeah CCF is a big name hospital, but the department is not that highly known. NOT that it isn't a quality place, but not often talked about in the anesth. community. Also, don't take this odd, but if it was really a HIGHLY respected program why are there only FMG residents there?? I don't buy into the sole fact of because it's in Cleveland.

The complete lack of AMG in the house staff really makes me think it is not that highly sought after.

BUT I do believe the case load must be execellent there.

I got a prematch there as well. When is ur deadline to make ur decision??

Heard Vandy. is a solid program. I didn't apply there.

Where else are u interviewing??

Let me know what else u have heard from around.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have to let them know by tomorrow (12/14), so I'm scrambling now to learn what I can about the program. However, I didn't get a great feel about the place when I was there. Residents didn't seem all that happy and appeared to be overworked. You're right, the # of IMG's astounded me for such a supposedly "prestigious" place. How important do think it is to come from a "name" place for choice private practice opportunities?

Anyway, most of my interviews will be in January. Also interviewed at UMKC in Kansas City--felt very at home and was impressed with the director. Also did my rotations there, so maybe I'm biased.

Thanks for your insights, navs :)

I am convinced thta Cleveland Clinic is a very good place. Maybe not right on the top in Anesthesia, but very close. I know few residents there and they are really top notch. Little geniuses: first in their class in medschool, very bright, intelligent people. So just for that I would trust Cleveland Clinic. Of course it's a matter of preference. And remeber, overall, there are still over 50% IMG's in Anesthesiology residencies. And I believe therea re few AMG's in CCF already(I might be wrong on that one).

My interviews are late in January early february: MCW, BU, St. Lukes NYC. I know MCW rocks. Navs, any insight on Boston Univ.? I like their program cos theyare very trauma and cardiac oriented, which I'd like to pursue. I noticed you're from Boston, so what's the talk of the town on that program?? Oh, me: IMG too. :D

Common, do you really think training at cleveland clinic versus harvard for instance will have any bearing of how succesful you are as a private practice anesthesiologist? Pick a city where you will be happy living and a training program where you feel comfortable.

ABSOLUTELY!!! Harvard vs CC? Are you kidding me that you can't make the distinction between the two?

Success and the best "starting" practice opportunities are two different things. Harvard doesn't gurantee success, but it does gurantee the better opportunity for success.

Originally posted by joethestuff:
•ABSOLUTELY!!! Harvard vs CC? Are you kidding me that you can't make the distinction between the two?

Success and the best "starting" practice opportunities are two different things. Harvard doesn't gurantee success, but it does gurantee the better opportunity for success.•••

Harvard happens to have a reputation of being very 'malignant' towareds the residents. The Cleveland clinic is heart paradise. If you have any interest in cardiac anesthesia, this is probably the best place to go. The fact that it may seem less competitive reflects it's location more than anything else. Regardless of who you have seen on the interview trail, the Clinic will most definitely fill with American grads this year. A lot of invitations went out to FMG's because program directors didn't properly forecast the wild popularity of the specialty this year.

U know I was thinking the advantage of the Clinic was the amount proficiency of which u would have in cardiac operations, but then I started thinking a bit more.

I do think u would be proficient, but when u go out for a job that is not good enough to compete with guys who did a cardiac fellow even at the most avg. place. A cardiac fellow obviously spent 1 entire yr dedicated to doing nothing but cardiac stuff, just grad. from the Clinic still can't compete with that, can it?? I don't think so.

SO even after coming from the Clinic one would have to do a cardiac fellow if he wants to be taken seriously as a cardiac anesth. and to be able to sit for the TEE boards.

What do u guys think??

Originally posted by joethestuff:

I've been offered an out of match spot and am seriously condidering it, largely based on the prestige of the hospital. BTW, i'm also an IMG.
•••

Originally posted by navs:

I'm an FMG and thus don't have a lot of sources to find out the strenth of programs so I thought it may be fun and helpful for people to list the experiences or knowlege of what they know about different programs!!

I got a prematch there as well.
•••

Originally posted by Klebsiella:

Regardless of who you have seen on the interview trail, the Clinic will most definitely fill with American grads this year. A lot of invitations went out to FMG's because program directors didn't properly forecast the wild popularity of the specialty this year.•••

I hope you are not a gambler. ;) Are you saying that by December, program directors still have not forecasted the wild popularity of Anesthesia?

I think Anesthesia is definitely becoming more popular as applicants move away from general surgery and internal medicine. However, to say it is closed to FMGs is ludicrous. To say that applications by AMGs have increased by 300% (as claimed by you and Sevo) is just not true. Anesthesia is a good field that provides for a great income and lifestyle. Let us just state what it is rather than claiming it is something that it is not: A competitive specialty.

Come on guys,

I know there are a lot of u applying for anesthesia, so why isn't anyone talking about it??

Let me hear what u think??