anesthes. audition rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Modoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I was unable to attain anesthesiology audition rotations this year because my low comlex. but after successful completion of the step 1 after 3rd year, I still couldn't get audition rotations for fourth year anywhere that has a residency because of full occupancy.

I was able to get 2 rotations at private anesthesiologists (for LOR purposes and so I can have a rotation in the field on my transcripts).

how likely would I be to match without an audition rotation at a program for anesthesiology? Applying to all programs.

step 1: 226

Thanks in advanced.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

So I was unable to attain anesthesiology audition rotations this year because my low comlex. but after successful completion of the step 1 after 3rd year, I still couldn't get audition rotations for fourth year anywhere that has a residency because of full occupancy.

I was able to get 2 rotations at private anesthesiologists (for LOR purposes and so I can have a rotation in the field on my transcripts).

how likely would I be to match without an audition rotation at a program for anesthesiology? Applying to all programs.

Thanks in advanced.

How the hell did you not get any anesthesia rotation? Did you apply to every rotation in the nation available?

How the hell did you not get any anesthesia rotation? Did you apply to every rotation in the nation available?

obviously not all, but I have for the majority and I currently am continuing my search. Anyway doesnt change my position yet, still no program auditions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

Thanks in advanced.
Did you read the other posts about anesthesia just a few down from this thread? The majority said audition rotations for anesthesia could do more harm than good, unless you are trying to make up for a poor score and impress them. I would doubt your lack of interviews is due to your low COMLEX, as ACGME doesn't care about them compared to USMLE. I'm in the same boat as you though, USMLE 223, a high COMLEX, but that won't help me. I too am worried about matching, but I wasn't going to do audition rotations. Would like to hear more responses from people who know more than us though. Good luck

Reactions: 1 user
Did you read the other posts about anesthesia just a few down from this thread? The majority said audition rotations for anesthesia could do more harm than good, unless you are trying to make up for a poor score and impress them. I would doubt your lack of interviews is due to your low COMLEX, as ACGME doesn't care about them compared to USMLE. I'm in the same boat as you though, USMLE 223, a high COMLEX, but that won't help me. I too am worried about matching, but I wasn't going to do audition rotations. Would like to hear more responses from people who know more than us though. Good luck
Hey guys,

Thanks in advanced.
Away rotations could be useful if you're looking at specific programs. It's pretty unnecessary for matching anesthesia though.

Away rotations could be useful if you're looking at specific programs. It's pretty unnecessary for matching anesthesia though.
Is a rotation (not an away) necessary to match anesthesia? what about an LOR from an anesthesiologist?

Is a rotation (not an away) necessary to match anesthesia? what about an LOR from an anesthesiologist?
I mean sure it's possible, even probable if you have a solid app. Without rec letters / rotations, programs are going to wonder if you're actually interested in anesthesia or if you're just using it as a backup.