Anesthesia as a DO applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr.sartorius

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard as a DO applying to ACGME residencies, DO's are expected to have higher board scores just to compare to MD counterparts. This past years match the average score for anesthesia was a 230, I personally scored a 230 on step 1 (which is now the national average) and would appreciate any insight. Is scoring 230 as a DO enough to keep me on the West coast in a good-competitive ACGME residency? I'll work harder and attempt to crush step 2 if this score isn't adequate enough. I'm also working to find some research opportunities to do during rotations, although I'm not certain this would make a world of difference for applying to residceny. Any advice or insight is much appreciated. Thnx!

Members don't see this ad.

You shouldn't have problems matching if you score just as well or higher on step 2. Try to get rotations at places where you want to match. Also try to have a pleasant demeanor while being on those rotations because most programs are not that large and probably would like someone who they can work with for 4 years.

Reactions: 1 user
I've heard as a DO applying to ACGME residencies, DO's are expected to have higher board scores just to compare to MD counterparts. This past years match the average score for anesthesia was a 230, I personally scored a 230 on step 1 (which is now the national average) and would appreciate any insight. Is scoring 230 as a DO enough to keep me on the West coast in a good-competitive ACGME residency? I'll work harder and attempt to crush step 2 if this score isn't adequate enough. I'm also working to find some research opportunities to do during rotations, although I'm not certain this would make a world of difference for applying to residceny. Any advice or insight is much appreciated. Thnx!
@cliquesh should know.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not in a position to comment on your question but I just wanted to say good luck, sir. I've seen you post from time to time and I'm genuinely happy to see you get a solid step 1 score man. Keep it up, boss playa!

Reactions: 3 users
I'm not in a position to comment on your question but I just wanted to say good luck, sir. I've seen you post from time to time and I'm genuinely happy to see you get a solid step 1 score man. Keep it up, boss playa!
Thanks man that means a lot! Wish you the best as well!

One of my all-time worst students ended up in Anesthesiology. He's probably killing patients somewhere in Washington state.

Note to self. Avoid going under in Washington state.

Reactions: 4 users
Has anesthesia really taken that much of a dip in terms of competitiveness? It can't be that much of a walk in the park to get into. I always thought it was above average in terms of competitiveness - along the lines of EM.

I wish I knew. A 230 is good enough to match somewhere decent. A "good" program on the west coast? I'm not sure. I am not familiar with the west coast programs. The only west coast program I applied to was university of Washington and they did not offer me an interview, heh.

Last edited:
I wish I knew. A 230 is good enough to match somewhere decent. A "good" program on the west coast? I'm not sure. I am not familiar with the west coast programs. The only west coast program I applied to was university of Washington and they did not offer me an interview, heh.
With 250+ five years ago? They are either a very good program or a very anti-DO one...or both.

Members don't see this ad :)
cliquesh has also said he knew someone with a 220 step 1 that got around 25 ACGME interviews.

One of my all-time worst students ended up in Anesthesiology. He's probably killing patients somewhere in Washington state.

You've mentioned this before Goro and I'm sure it's partially silly. As a faculty, at what point do you intervene to prevent this kind of stuff

Elaborate on "worst"?

I am NOT making this up!

We've tightened our standards since then and nowadays he would be dismissed. We had a different dean then too. The current one is on the ball.

You've mentioned this before Goro and I'm sure it's partially silly. As a faculty, at what point do you intervene to prevent this kind of stuff

You might have some difficulty at some of the more prestigious California residency programs, but other than that, you're good. Anesthesia is nowhere near as competitive as it used to be, US MDs are fleeing the field in droves because of CRNAs and AMCs.

You might have some difficulty at some of the more prestigious California residency programs, but other than that, you're good. Anesthesia is nowhere near as competitive as it used to be, US MDs are fleeing the field in droves because of CRNAs and AMCs.

So is gas gonna turn into that easy specialty that mostly DO's go into, a la FM

It's largely becoming a DO and IMG specialty, year by year. Pretty much every MD that wants in gets in, and there's plenty of spots left over for the rest of us.
Good, cause I went to medical school just to become an anesthesiologist/cc doc.

Sort of joking.... kind of.. not really.. well....

think theres any way gas salaries drop to where they used to be??? i.e. high 100s low 200s?

They definitely won't stay hovering around 350k like they are now. High 100s? Unlikely. Low to mid 200s? I think it's definitely possible, maybe even probable.

They definitely won't stay hovering around 350k like they are now. High 100s? Unlikely. Low to mid 200s? I think it's definitely possible, maybe even probable.

And what prompt you to make such a claim?

Low to mid 200s in 2022 (when I hit the job market if I do a 4-year long residency) is equivalent to high 100's if you adjust for inflation. Back in the 90s, when anesthesiology paid the absolute worst, starting salaries were in the mid 100's (mid 200's in today's dollar).

Has anesthesia really taken that much of a dip in terms of competitiveness? It can't be that much of a walk in the park to get into. I always thought it was above average in terms of competitiveness - along the lines of EM.
Job market not so hot. A few friends have decided against gas after hearing about the struggles from a few attendings. Guess it's kind of similar to what's happened in rads.

It's largely becoming a DO and IMG specialty, year by year. Pretty much every MD that wants in gets in, and there's plenty of spots left over for the rest of us.

It was always like that. The period prior was just an aberration. Gas has many attractive qualities, but once you take away job security/income, the other positive attributes don't matter to many.

Job market not so hot. A few friends have decided against gas after hearing about the struggles from a few attendings. Guess it's kind of similar to what's happened in rads.
In the gas forum, there don't seem to be as many complaints about finding jobs so much as complaints about quality of jobs and a growing lack of private practice/partnership opportunities...

Last edited:
Basically the future of anesthesia is the ACT (anesthesia care team) model. ACT is already something like >50% of all practices. It's the future and only growing. Groups are pressured to go ACT to keep up with demands for surgeries, etc. In the ACT model, attendings won't be doing most of their own cases. Instead attendings will be managing the ACT i.e. overseeing several CRNAs who do the cases, and putting out their fires.

Expect to take on the brunt of the legal liability.

Expect average ~60 hrs per week (some weeks more, some weeks less) as an attending in PP.

Expect most likely to be an employee, not a partner (e.g. employee of a hospital, of an AMC, of academia if you don't do PP).

Expect to be treated as second rate by hospitals and even fellow physicians or surgeons i.e. colleagues (mainly because anesthesiologists don't have their own patients and so don't bring in money to the hospital but are more considered a necessary expense to get surgery done, so hospital admin and other physicians don't have to cater to you or refer to you or anything like that, and patients usually don't know who you are, let alone consider you "their doctor"; so for example, surgeon is late for a case, surgeon wants to add-on a case at the end of the day when you're about to go home and have dinner with the family, surgeon prefers to do a case on Saturday, guess who gets to stay late or come in on the weekend! You do'nt really have as much bargaining power with the hospital or your employer to say no, and be careful about cancelling too many cases and getting hospital admin or surgeons upset!).

Expect salaries to be around $300k though (unless most of your patients are all Medicare, or you live in an area with really poor payor mix, in which case your salary could be much lower -- and remember as the anesthesiologist you don't directly control or choose your patients like a surgeon does, so you can't just say, I won't do this case because they dont have insurance that reimburses fairly, you just take whatever you're given by the surgeon/hospital).

If you're happy with all that, then anesthesia is good. Otherwise, best to look elsewhere.

Last edited:
As someone also interested in anes/cc, reading around the anesthesia boards was straight up depressing. Consistent complaining about how the specialty is dead, encroachment by crna's, PSH spelling the end etc... everytime someone (even new anes attendings) said they were happy with their job for the most part it seemed like they were dismissed by the older attendings. I understand the importance of getting insights from people in the field with experience, but it's just consistent doom and gloom there.

Anesthesia is still a great field. The anesthesia doom and gloom forum is typical "grass is always greener.." nonsense. All doctors look at other specialties and see only the good things without thinking about the downsides. In reality we all have it pretty damn good. Anesthesia in particular has it better than 90% of all other doctors in terms of lifestyle & income. Sure there are a lot of AMC's out there and CRNA's practicing independently in podunk America, but I don't see my private practice changing drastically in the next 10 years. I think the anesthesia care team model is the best way to practice as an anesthesiologist anyway since you don't have to deal with the monotonous stuff and you can focus on things that actually need your attention.

Reactions: 2 users
Don't worry, he won't be passing the gas, the CRNA's will. Just hope you get a good one...