Anesthesia Critical Care Fellowship 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

G0S2

SDN Angel
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Deal is done. Offer letter signed.

Washington University

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep. First interview was beginning of December. If you are considering it, get them in now.
If you're considering it, you need to get in it now. Lots of spots already taken.
I got my app out early jan and start interviewing next week. I thought I was early but it doesn't look that way at all. Some small programs have already secured multiple acceptances.
You can always match CCM somewhere, but the choice programs are going to go quick this year.

If you're considering it, you need to get in it now. Lots of spots already taken.
I got my app out early jan and start interviewing next week. I thought I was early but it doesn't look that way at all. Some small programs have already secured multiple acceptances.
You can always match CCM somewhere, but the choice programs are going to go quick this year.

Dude, he signed. Read the first post. I think he's done considering.

I wasn't aware that you interview for fellowships midway through CA-2 year, is this just for CCM or all fellowships?

I was under the impression that most residents sent in apps between the end of CA2 year and the beginning of CA3 year and that most of the interviewing takes place during fall/winter of CA3 year.

Congrats on landing the fellowship!

I got my fellowship when i was a ca-2 in november

I wasn't aware that you interview for fellowships midway through CA-2 year, is this just for CCM or all fellowships?

I was under the impression that most residents sent in apps between the end of CA2 year and the beginning of CA3 year and that most of the interviewing takes place during fall/winter of CA3 year.

It looks like Pain and Cardiac interview a little bit later. Peds is a match now.

Members don't see this ad :)
I firmly believe the CCM application process should go to a match and many PDs agree.

However, I am glad my faculty told me to get my apps in early. The PD for a well known Bean Town program told me "its about to get exponentially competitive" meaning the the application process from now until spring.

For F the F, there are still some great programs out there. Get your apps in! Some big time programs are not looking at apps until next month!!!! I have yet to hear from 5 of the programs I applied to. I am happy with the result though.

We are catching on and believe me, we will play a larger role in CCM, especially surgical.

It looks like Pain and Cardiac interview a little bit later. Peds is a match now.

If by "later" you mean Jan-Feb-Mar of CA-2, then yeah, they interview later. Frankly, I think the whole rush to interview and tie up spots before you've completed half your residency is ridiculous, and isn't in the best interests of residents. Unfortunately, there seems to be a trend to push this even earlier over the past couple years.

If by "later" you mean Jan-Feb-Mar of CA-2, then yeah, they interview later. Frankly, I think the whole rush to interview and tie up spots before you've completed half your residency is ridiculous, and isn't in the best interests of residents. Unfortunately, there seems to be a trend to push this even earlier over the past couple years.

I completely agree and that is why there should be a match. It will eventually.

Washington University

Congrats! I worked with a graduate from that program when I was an RT... they seemed on top of their game. If I end up in gas, and go into CCM (which has been my plan from the start, but we all know how those work out for M2s! :cool:) I'll be looking strongly at that program.

What kinds of things do fellowship PD's look at when deciding to interview? USMLE scores? AKT/ITE scores? Letters i assume, clinical evals? what are the things which will determine "competitiveness"?

What kinds of things do fellowship PD's look at when deciding to interview? USMLE scores? AKT/ITE scores? Letters i assume, clinical evals? what are the things which will determine "competitiveness"?

What was surprising to me was that much of what was required for an application had very little to do with residency (ie: the deans letter?). Sure the LORs but besides that only 1 of 9 required ITE scores. USMLEs are important I guess b/c it can show you can take a test and hopefully pass board exams. The essay plays a role in truly getting across your experience and commitment to the specialty. I had a research career before med school with publications and published a paper as a MS2, which helped even though it dealt with the molecular bio of cancer.

In summary, its the WHOLE package that counts. I believe if you have great letters stating you are an intelligent, hard-working resident and you clearly demonstrate your desire/drive to be an intensivist, you will have no problems.

What was surprising to me was that much of what was required for an application had very little to do with residency (ie: the deans letter?). Sure the LORs but besides that only 1 of 9 required ITE scores. USMLEs are important I guess b/c it can show you can take a test and hopefully pass board exams. The essay plays a role in truly getting across your experience and commitment to the specialty. I had a research career before med school with publications and published a paper as a MS2, which helped even though it dealt with the molecular bio of cancer.

In summary, its the WHOLE package that counts. I believe if you have great letters stating you are an intelligent, hard-working resident and you clearly demonstrate your desire/drive to be an intensivist, you will have no problems.

That was vague. It seems like if you need to apply early CA-2, then a program would only receive the CA-0/1 ITE scores. Yikes.

For CT, probably half just wanted my CV, 3 letters an essay and my ITEs. A few wanted USMLE scores and Deans letter.

Like I said, it's often who you know.

That was vague. It seems like if you need to apply early CA-2, then a program would only receive the CA-0/1 ITE scores. Yikes.

Sorry to disappoint. The truth is how am I supposed to really know what a PD is looking for other than evidence of being hard working, intelligent and committed ?

That's why I always tell the CA0 and CA1 residents to take the ITE seriously. For me 99% both years.

I got my fellowship when i was a ca-2 in november

19 months prior to fellowship start, whew, hard to believe it starts so early, before many people even get to do some subspecialty rotations.

Speaking of early, anyone know if many programs will offer spots 2 years in advance to someone who's a few years out of residency and board certified already? I'd like to apply, interview, and wrap up a spot for 2014-2015 this summer.

19 months prior to fellowship start, whew, hard to believe it starts so early, before many people even get to do some subspecialty rotations.

Speaking of early, anyone know if many programs will offer spots 2 years in advance to someone who's a few years out of residency and board certified already? I'd like to apply, interview, and wrap up a spot for 2014-2015 this summer.

Of course they will consider you for a spot. Since you are Board Certified and in the Navy I fully expect you won't have any difficulty securing your first or second choice.

Of course they will consider you for a spot. Since you are Board Certified and in the Navy I fully expect you won't have any difficulty securing your first or second choice.

I figured so, but part of me is attempting to revert to obsessive what-are-my-chances premed/MS4 mode. I expect to be deployed fall 2012 - spring 2013 or thereabouts, hence the need to plan way ahead.

PGG, what branch of the armed forces are you in? My brother is a naval officer coming back from Afghanistan in a few weeks.

I have five interviews scheduled starting monday and ending in April. If anyone knows, what's the average time it takes for a program give you an offer and how long do you have to accept? A friend applied for CCM said several places pretty much gave him the offer on the spot, with a month to decide. If this is the case, I'll be in quite a bind having to accept an offer before I finish my interviews.

It can be like your friend said and on the spot. Out of my 4, 2 on the spot, one next day at 9am by phone, one 2.5 weeks by phone. Not interviewing at 5 places.

You most likely won't get to all your interviews with your last one in April. Its a quick game.

Good luck!!

That's what happened to me as well...I think its getting more competitive especially in desireable locations

PGG, what branch of the armed forces are you in? My brother is a naval officer coming back from Afghanistan in a few weeks.

Navy, made two trips in 2004 and 2005 with the Marines, pre-residency. This time I'll go as an anesthesiologist, so more time in the rear with the gear, and less time in a Humvee trying to win hearts and minds with vitamins, Motrin, and toothbrushes.

Washington University

Just want to clarify - if you are a CA2 now and have already signed the offer letter for CCM, when exactly did you submit the application?

Did you start gathering letters of recommendation by the end of your CA1? Did you submit your application by...uhh...September??

Is this typically for another other fellowships as well?

Just want to clarify - if you are a CA2 now and have already signed the offer letter for CCM, when exactly did you submit the application?

Did you start gathering letters of recommendation by the end of your CA1? Did you submit your application by...uhh...September??

I submitted at the end of December for CCM.

Navy, made two trips in 2004 and 2005 with the Marines, pre-residency. This time I'll go as an anesthesiologist, so more time in the rear with the gear, and less time in a Humvee trying to win hearts and minds with vitamins, Motrin, and toothbrushes.

Looks like we're are pulling out. You might spend your time on a home base.

Thanks for the help, G0S2-I'll let you know where I end up.

Got LORs and my apps together September/October. Called programs to make sure it was OK to submit applications for 2013 by November/December. Got them out beginning of November. I interviewed at 4 and will not see 5 of the programs I applied to, which is fine. My faculty told me to get them early, so I did. If I were to do it again I might have waited until late December/January as that is the time most programs start reviewing and I might have been able to see more programs but again its CA2 year and I can't take a lot of time off.

To the original poster, what did you like or not like about the Wash U Program? Can you give some details regarding the call, workload, ancillary staff, impressions about faculty, opportunity to make extra $$ by working in the OR, job prospects of graduating fellows? Or you can PM me,

Thanks

M

anyone applying to UCSF? if so, has anyone heard back from them regarding interviews?

MS4 considering UCSF's combined anesthesia/CCM program. Anyone with experience in their units wanna comment on the CCM program?

MS4 considering UCSF's combined anesthesia/CCM program. Anyone with experience in their units wanna comment on the CCM program?

When I interviewed there for residency I asked them what would happen if as a CA2 or so I decided I didn't want to do CCM. Answer-->You are removed from the program. Make sure you really want CCM before signing. As the PD said, you will get a fellowship in CCM there or anywhere else once you finish your residency at UCSF.

When I interviewed there for residency I asked them what would happen if as a CA2 or so I decided I didn't want to do CCM. Answer-->You are removed from the program. Make sure you really want CCM before signing. As the PD said, you will get a fellowship in CCM there or anywhere else once you finish your residency at UCSF.

So what, you would have to look for a new spot? that sucks.

To clarify, this does not mean you would be removed from the residency program. That would be ridiculous. It just means you're no longer in the combined anesthesia/CCM track.

To clarify, this does not mean you would be removed from the residency program. That would be ridiculous. It just means you're no longer in the combined anesthesia/CCM track.

It was 3 years ago when I interviewed and you would be removed from the residency. Director of icu thought it was silly as well and discouraged me from taking that path.

It was 3 years ago when I interviewed and you would be removed from the residency. Director of icu thought it was silly as well and discouraged me from taking that path.

I'm the chief resident there and that is not, nor ever has been, the way things work. Why would any program remove someone from residency training for something like that? The thought is just silly. You would just end up screwing yourself and the other residents for no good reason.

I'm the chief resident there and that is not, nor ever has been, the way things work. Why would any program remove someone from residency training for something like that? The thought is just silly. You would just end up screwing yourself and the other residents for no good reason.

I asked Dr. Liu that exact question and that is what I was told during my interview. She agreed that it was a serious commitment to take on. She called Dr Pardo to confirm this right in front of me. Maybe it's different now. I'm not making this up. Have no reason in the world to do so.

Just wondering if anyone start applying/interviewing yet for 2014 spot?

pgg, what are you applying to? CCM?

are you guys seeing an uptick in PP CCM jobs?? or still mainly academic?

Has anyone interviewed at UCLA? I believe their CCM fellowship is on the newer side, though I could be wrong. Just wondering what your thoughts are of their program. I really want to return to SoCal but only UCLA and UCSD seem to offer this fellowship.