anesthesia programs in southeast

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aemedl01

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am just wanting some feedback on what programs in the southeast are the strongest clinical Anes programs. I here Wake, UNC, Duke, and Vandy are great, but are there other programs that are up-and-comers. Please give me positive or negative feedback on any interviews in this region. Thanks for replys.

Members don't see this ad.

I've focused on the southeast on my interview trail, so I'll give you some brief thoughts on each place I've gone..........

Duke--Strong research(but you don't have to do any), great facilities, semi-uptight residents interspersed with some very cool residents, relatively hard working program. If you're thinking fellowship or academics look no further.

UNC--My favorite. About as academically strong as Duke with a more relaxed, friendly atmosphere. Great facilities. Great place to live. Some of the most normal, cordial residents out there. Everyone is smart, but no "stuffed shirts" here.

Vandy--Not quite as strong as the above two, but still a nice place to train. Required research project, not a ton of call, very friendly residents. Facilities not as nice as I thought they'd be, but not bad. New chairman is strong, Nashville is sweet town.

Wake--I don't interview until end of month. Will update.

Virginia--very strong program. Make sure you fit in with the residents here, though. C-ville is very small, and ISOLATED. If your married with kids this would be sweet place for you. Probably as strong as UNC and Duke, just a different crowd of folks.

Any questions????? I'd be glad to elaborate on anything.

I'm couples matching, so my list of SE interviews is a bit random.

Vanderbilt - #1 on my list - I felt at home with all of the residents - just a cool group. great schedule - MBA program easily done during residency or res. + 6months or so (while doing locum work!!). Overall, a really relaxed place for a superb academic center. Minimal amount of BIG HEADS!

Wake - Maybe great - reputation is very good - as for the program???? I don't really know. I wasn't even interviewed. And when I was, it was with another applicant. Winston-Salem is incredibly affordable, but a bit too country for me.

UF - Excellent program - a bit big (20/year) - if I felt like I fit in with the residents, I'd go there...but no

MUSC - New chairman - solid - bringing in some big shots. Dr Reeves (Duke's old chair) is dean of medicine, so the dept. is a priority. Could be an exceptional program in years to come

Mississippi - a HUGE hidden gem. They are in between chairmen, but the interim is very strong - he's director of perioperative svcs. for the state. New adult hospital on the way and many other projects coming. I felt very at home here (and I'm not from the south). Their caseload is probably the most impressive of any program I've been to. Residents have a large amount of autonomy. If they get a couple of good resident classes in, watch out!!

Hope this is useful....I'd give more facts, but they can be found on the program's websites.

Hey dave - where is Penn State coming in on your list?? Remember the guy from Ireland - me - at that interview. They are gonna come in 2 for us as a couple - I think. Our list has been pretty dynamic lately. The couples match is very trying. For example, my #2 is my wife's #8. I had to compromise.

Good Luck everyone!!!

Oh yeah - this is my first post!!!!

Kevin