Anesthesia residency help??? lost

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

keepingreal2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I need advice...hopefully, someone has some for me. Stats listed below: (in all humility)

Student: 2012 osteopathic
GPA 2.5
Boards: Comlex I- 488 USMLE I- 214
Research: College 1.5 yrs w/o publication

I am interested in anesthesiology and would like to know some advice on where and how to apply...ie...what types of programs would even consider me? I know anesthesia is very competitive...and I don't know if I even have the numbers to get excepted...any word would be awesome, thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

No one can really answer this question because we don't know what the PDs want.

Apply broadly, take step 2 Early and do better, get good LORs, get good grades and Evals 3rd year. Rotate through places where you are interested in and show them you belong. Anesthesia is very DO friendly, I think if you apply smartly you should get interview invites. I recommend doing a rotation though, some people say they like Anesthesia but once they get into the OR they want to stab fork thru their head.

Yea take Step 2 ... i think if you do well, you're money for interviews.
I didnt take either Steps (personal issues but they're better now), took Step 2 recently, and I have 7-8 interviews still ... hoping for more and that my Step 2 score is good enough to net me some more and solidify ranks with programs ...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I need advice...hopefully, someone has some for me. Stats listed below: (in all humility)

Student: 2012 osteopathic
GPA 2.5
Boards: Comlex I- 488 USMLE I- 214
Research: College 1.5 yrs w/o publication

I am interested in anesthesiology and would like to know some advice on where and how to apply...ie...what types of programs would even consider me? I know anesthesia is very competitive...and I don't know if I even have the numbers to get excepted...any word would be awesome, thanks.
I don't think that it's that competitive these days since CRNA's have infiltrated the field.

I don't think that it's that competitive these days since CRNA's have infiltrated the field.

The average ACGME program receives 80-100 applications per available slot. COMLEX below 500 (for programs that still accept the test) or USMLE below 220 are automatic cutoff at some programs. CRNA's have had zero impact on application volume. Many programs not looking at IMG's regardless of stats.

The average ACGME program receives 80-100 applications per available slot. COMLEX below 500 (for programs that still accept the test) or USMLE below 220 are automatic cutoff at some programs. CRNA's have had zero impact on application volume. Many programs not looking at IMG's regardless of stats.

Right I think he just meant it isn't as competitive as it once was a few years ago in comparison to other specialties.

I'm in a similar boat, but one nice thing about the Osteopathic world is its not all about the exam scores. I know someone who was accepted at Henry Ford in Detroit with a COMLEX of 495 (no USMLE), which is a pretty solid program. She had to bust her @$$ though and play all her cards right. Rotated there, did awesome, set up a meeting with program director, and explained why Henry Ford's program was great and why the others she interviewed at weren't what she wanted.

It is hard, but not impossible. Info on Osteopathic programs is harder to come by, but I think similar rules apply.

I have a classmate with <500 COMLEX I and <210 USMLE on Step 1 who busted his nuts and got >600 on COMLEX II and >240 on USMLE Step 2. Nothing else remarkable about his app (no publications, building clinics in Africa, etc) but worked really hard and got a couple good LORs. He ended up with more allopathic interviews than he knew what to do with and a lot of very competitive programs. All hope is not lost, but you better work your tail off the rest of this year and kill Step 2.

When exactly are step 2 taken? End of third year? Beginning of 4th year?

If you end up in an allo residency, do you need to take comlex 3 or just usmle 3?

Not only the MD programs, but I know of at least 1 DO program that requires a minimum 82 on both comlex 1 & 2. Still in the process of finding out about others.

And not to burst anyone's bubble, but the one MD program I have checked with wanted 650/225+ this year for DO students. And no it wasn't Hopkins or anything like that.

Not only the MD programs, but I know of at least 1 DO program that requires a minimum 82 on both comlex 1 & 2. Still in the process of finding out about others.

And not to burst anyone's bubble, but the one MD program I have checked with wanted 650/225+ this year for DO students. And no it wasn't Hopkins or anything like that.

Keep it coming!

I know someone who was accepted at Henry Ford in Detroit with a COMLEX of 495 (no USMLE), which is a pretty solid program.

Not surprised, I know for a fact this year 4-5 DOs matched at HF, and the rest of the interns were IMG graduates. If you talk to any AMG MD student they would not consider HF anywhere near their top choice, good thing for us DO students who want to match there... I agree with it being a solid program though (lots of transplant, trauma, very good attendings), IMO even if you are an average DO student as long as you apply smartly, and show your interested you should have no problem matching.

BTW how the hell does someone bust their ass on Anesthesia rotation lol, just being around while everyone else leaves by noon I assume shows you want it.

As a student there is only so much you can do: intubate, wheel patients, do some IVs, take an Anes history down, stand there and watch, ask some questions, anything else I am missing?

BTW how the hell does someone bust their ass on Anesthesia rotation lol, just being around while everyone else leaves by noon I assume shows you want it.

As a student there is only so much you can do: intubate, wheel patients, do some IVs, take an Anes history down, stand there and watch, ask some questions, anything else I am missing?

You forgot picking up a newspaper for the attending and sneaking them food while nobody's watching if they've stretched themselves thin that day. :laugh:

What program was it? I am curious now.